• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough project for tomorrow..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough project for tomorrow..

This is my 93 honda engine, yes its in bad shape

As you can see the valve cover(i think) is peeling. Anyone ever did an engine with that happening? Should i just scrub off all the flaky paint or what. I'm guessing the only things that need to be covered would be the battery and that distributor cap where the sparkplug wires are going. ALso that rust on the manifold i guess i would just brush off too? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I would also cover the alternator.

good luck
    i will be detailing one of those when i come back from my vacation, so tell us how it goes.
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Just to be safe you may want to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. I've seen the peeling before, but the guy just replaced his cover so I can't help there.
      Gil A. Castillo

Comment

ok, remember first time doing this i was kinda scared to spray stuff

Had to rush it a lil but maybe tomorrow or next week i'll really go at it.

Before.

After.

Few questions. With the hyper dressing, what can i spray with it? Like can i spray all that aluminum ( i think thats the fuel injection behind the valve cover) that looks oxidated? I sprayed some of the manifold but didn't put much on that. And what about metal? For instance the back firewall. I need to really get back there first and clean the dirt spots off. Or is hyper dressing just meant for plastic and rubber hoses. Thanks

Comment

meh, 5 minute edit lol.

Forgot also to ask how much am i supposed to spray on with the hyper dressing, is that enough what shows or do i put like a thin layer of white on it, or just a few sprits.

Comment

hyper dressing - plastics and rubber
            metal polish - bare metal (like you intake manifold)

then theres a long list of products for painted metal (the firewall)

as for brushing the rust off the exhaust manifold heat shield. that might be more trouble than its worth, because you'll most likely end up scratching it
            Lancer Evolution VIII
            I4T

Comment

Re: Tough project for tomorrow..

Originally posted by WaspHunter View Post
              Just to be safe you may want to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. I've seen the peeling before, but the guy just replaced his cover so I can't help there.
              This is the first time I've seen anyone suggest disconnecting the battery cable. I see a plus and a minus for this. On the plus side wouldn't this protect all of the electronics? On the negative side, doesn't unhooking the battery cause at least a reset of all of the electronics?

And I always heard that you disconnect the positive cable?

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');