• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Client's Cars Batteries Dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all your input.
    I really appreciate and am looking into getting one of the hand held chargers.

Comment

I have been reading everyone's battery care opinions and I have a question.

Is it possible to short-out a car's ECU (computer) by getting water on the battery and cables, while they are connected to the battery.

I think this may have happened to one of my cars. After this happened, I tried to start it an hour later, and it wouldn't turn over. The car was fine before this happened.

I got it started, but since this happened, the car has never idled properly, even after mechanics replaced the Idle Air Control Valve, Throttle Position Sensor, and Coolant Temperature Sensor.

There are no trouble codes.

Any ideas?
      Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
        That's a good idea.... actually I almost wonder if (as long as he doesn't need it to be running all the time) it would be better to just disconnect the negative battery cable altogether. That way you're stopping the flow of engergy altogether.
        FYI if you disconnect the battery on certain cadillacs it will set off the air bags. better to use a jump pack or trickle charger...

Comment

i saw a guy use a solar panel ro trickle change once it was a small 5.5w but i wounder if it actually kept his car alive
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger72
            As well as reseting the ecu. It take time for the car to "relearn" its idle, shift points, and a mirad of other things. A customer may get their car back and notice that it feels different. I.E. shifts firmer, idles a bit inconsistant. Granted, this things will be fine after 110 miles or so of drving, but its still someone elses car. I was also thinking about the trickle charger.

Applies to all Vipers.
            SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Dead batteries

I had one battery die on me. I wasn't using the radio or anything like that (my shop one sounds better anyway) I just couldn't figure out how to turn off the dome lights. Surprised me when it died, and not in a good way!

So now I simply start the vehicle every couple of hours.

Sam
              TheGarageMassage.com
              Sam Sollars
              TheGarageMassage.com
              If you can't see the rest of your neighborhood in your cars reflection...you car isnt' shiny enough!

Comment

Re: Client's Cars Batteries Dying

In 12 1/2 years full time, I have only had this happen twice. I am willing to bet both had batteries near the end of their useful life. Just having the doors open a couple hours to detail the interior should not run a battery down enough to prevent starting.

If you regularly have this happen, the trickle charger idea sounds pretty good.
                Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr View Post
                  I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how you guys are draining batteries... I never do anything with them other than cover with saran wrap while I clean the engine bay, and I have never had a problem. I'm not sure where the voltage drain is comming from.
                  Those batteries that have died while detailing were probably almost gone already. I agree with Scottwax, just having the interior lights on for a few hours, should do nothing to a battery in good condition. In my old car I had a pretty big stereo, amp, sub etc., which I used when working outside as a gardener. I just rolled the windows down, and played it LOUD, so we were able to hear it in most of a garden. I could have it playing for 5 or 6 hours like that, with no problems.

But you never know the condition of a customers battery, so one of those small chargers is nice to have in those cases. Btw, I hope those people sugesting starting the car every few hours, is not working in a garage... e.g. The Garage Massage...
                  "Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
                  - Back To The Future

Comment

I had this happen about a week ago, but it didn't even phase me because the car in question has a history of battery problems--including a factory recall for that model year. My own car, which was a year newer, but same model also had the bad battery, so needless to say, I got very good at jump starting my car, and jump starting this was a no brainer.

Other than that, I've never had any issues with cars I've worked on. In this case, the battery was fine while I worked on it, but the car sat covered for 3 days later when the customer picked the car up, and the battery was dead at that time.
                    Richard Lin
                    ShowCarDetailing
                    5548 E. La Palma Ave
                    Anaheim, CA 92807
                    toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Originally posted by Cole'sCarDetailing View Post
                      I had a vehicle die in my driveway today and its the third time its happened.
                      Cole,

The solution to your problem is to only open all of the doors one time. Most vehicles will turn off all lights in a set time period after a door remains open. However, if you keep opening and closing doors that time period gets extended and the lights are on for a much greater time.

In summary, when you are ready to take care of the interior, simply open the doors and keep them open until the interior is completed.
                      FRANK CANNA
                      Mirror Finish Detailing
                      23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Also if you ever have to leave a door open for a blower (for people who do carpet extracting) you can take pliers and clamp it down on the door sensor to keep the lights off.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your insight.
                          I haven't had one dead battery since the last incident as a result of your suggestions.
                          Thanks Again,
                          Cole

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');