• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Car Wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steam Car Wash

Maybe I'm missing something... they are using water vapor and air to clean the dirt off the vehicle. How does this really differ from a pressure washer using water and air? I doubt the water scratches the paint. I also see the water as removing dirt better as well, there is more of it then in its vapor form. Also, I'd think steam would tend to remove any type of coating on the paint such as a sealant or wax.

It's not like the paint needs to be germ free.

This was a big fad for around the house use... now I'm seeing them branch the fad out to cleaning paint.

The video of them washing snow off the car was funny. They kept cutting the video as it was taking forever. The windshield was the longest. They guy worked and worked and worked and he was about 1/2 done when all of a sudden the video cuts and the who car is clean!

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
      Buddydog could use a steam wash probably.
      no way. He's the cleanest dog ever. I think he's about three and he has only been bathed one time, that I know of... But he does get sprayed down almost daily during the summer. Just like a typical border collie; water is his favorite game.
      Speaking of Buddy. I'm going to see him this weekend!
      Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
      baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Hi People
        From what I see here is a bunch of non-users that do not have actual experience and only expand on a negative that was conceived by them! Let me point some items out,
        1. The temp does not go over 150 degrees at the nozzle and reduces temp by 10 degrees for every inch from target. I can hold my hand 2-3 inches from this without having to go to a burn center. Toyota used the machine in tests and found safe as car paint is good to about 240 degrees F
        2. Swirl marks this could happen IF it was done incorrectly the Steam jet process has a Bio degradable solution that helps lubricate and clean surface add this to a wiping application that changes sides of folded cloth so that the cloth is changed as you wipe. We find that using this system sets up the surface for a nice smooth finish with close to using clay.
        3. The steam does a job on Mercedes and Jag wheels that is incredible melts that brake dust right off no bad water going down the drain (suggest color coded towels that would only be used for wheels)
        4. The US Border Patrol uses this machine in several different locations and is very happy the way it cleans vechicles inside and out and let me tell you the insides are packed with electronics and we never had a problem (no hi pressure)
        Hopes this helps a little
        Skip

Comment

I think there is some misunderstandings here between "Steam Cleaner" and "Hot water pressure washers" Some Steam Cleaner units have low pressure (75-100 PSI) steam which is close to 300F and in my opinion it is to hot for washing cars. This type of unit is great in your butcher shop to disinfect and kill any bacteria on equipment , floors and walls. Now, Hot water pressure washers usually run up to 180F and at 1000 to 1500 PSI. Temperature is adjustable from 120- 180F. Pressure is also adjustable is by pressure regulator. This type of machine is great for removing any road grime and road salt.

Comment

Originally posted by jlatis View Post
            Hi,

I am new to the forum. I was recently visiting Texas and I also saw a car wash that uses steam to clean the car. I asked them if it was safe for the car paint and they say yes. Apparently the temperature of the steam ranges between 170 F and 190 F and it is only applied for 3 or 4 seconds. I also asked if the steam would remove the wax and they say no because is only applied for a few seconds. To remove the wax it would take about 30 seconds of steaming the area. They also mentioned that some waxes have a high melting point so it would be more difficult to be removed.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Can this be true? I know car paints are a lot better now days and can withstand high temperatures but at what point is not safe for the car paint anymore. I have seen a show where they measured the temperature of the car

Jlatis, where in texas did you see the car wash that used steam to clean the cars? I would like to go see it.

Comment

Hello there, my name is tony and im new to the forum but have been very interested in the steam car wash concept. I have been looking into purchasing one of these units for use on motorcycles and possibly my cars and will be having a U.S. distributor for the optima steam car wash unit demo it to me sometime this week. I will reply and let you all know how it goes. I am a little skeptical on the unit and it sounds a little too good to be true. acording to all the research i have done most of these steam car wash units deliver 212 degrees at the tip of the nozzel and the further away you hold the gun the lower the temp drops. Did some more research into seam cleaning in general and read that for every 8 degrees you heat water over 118 degrees the engery distilled in the water doubles its cleaning power. Not sure if doubling the cleaning power is true but i think it may hold some viable truth about energ raising as heat increases thus raising cleaning power. Im going to go play with the steam car wash unit this week and ill let u know what i think of it! I might even pick it up if it really is what they claim it to be.

Comment

Hello all again! Just took a trip down to the U.S. distributor for the Optima steam cleaner and im pretty impressed. I wish i had some pictures of the things i tested out with the steam cleaner but i dont unfortunately. Seeing as i was planning on using this for motorcycles the first part was a ducati headlight cowl covered in thick mud (which i actually dumped on the cowl and let dry). The steam cleaner blasted it right off like a pressure washer. Next was the top end of a duati motorcycle head lathered in bel-ray waterproof marine grease (aprx. 1/2 thick). It was blasted right off. The owner of the shop then started pulling out junked pumps from pressure washers and brought out one that looked like it was similar to an engine part you would find from your grandpa's old civic coated so thick with grime no pressure washer would cut through it with ease. Amazingly within seconds of holding the gun 1-2 in away the grim flew off! I was curiouse if this thing was going to damage clear coat so i held the gun to the ducati headlight cowl again for about a minute and noticed no visable dulling/cracking/ ect.... the body pannel is plastic and didn't even melt. Working with ducati's as a profession i know ducati plastics dont have great clear coat/ paint/ or can even withstand the engine heat on the side pannels without having heat sheilding on it. In my opinion i dont think that the heat generated waving the wand around even 3-4 inches is enough to heat up paint any more than your engine heat baking your cars body pannels on a hot summer day (im in california) sitting in traffic. O and regarding the swirling, because they use a microfiber, tthat's to wipe off the clean mist that's on the car. The thing blasts dirt and mud off just like a pressure washer. So like a pressure washer you should dry it to avoid water spots when it drys. Due to the "misty vapor" this steam cleaner generates you just need to wipe as you go becasue the water is so fine it dries faster. Your pretty much just preventing water marks if done right. I can see swirls happening with a pressure washer if your drying the water off not being cautious hiting a dirty missed spot. Hope this all helps a little. Still trying to decide if spending the outrageouse price for this is worth it if all im doing is planning on washing motorcycles to start with. It would be perfect for motorcycles but maybe the car community has beter professional methods. I know clay bar has been popular with dealerships detail facilities for years. The only pro i see for this machine is for a mobile application due to its low water usage and no need for water reclaimation besides the green eco friendly approach. I hope this helps a few people out who like me have been wondering what this thing really is about.

Comment

Hello Mainsteam

Are you spraying any cleaning agent (liquid) before starting steam cleaning?

Serkan

Originally posted by mainesteam View Post
                  Greetings,

There have been a lot of improvements in steam tech over the last few years. My company just introduced our first model, the Optima DMF. We redesigned the model in cooperation with a Korean company.

Steam is a substitute for high volume pressure washers. It is a spray and wipe application. An operator sprays the vehicle surface with steam and follows the steam trail with a microfiber absorbent cloth. Unlike a waterless solution, the operator has the added advantage of heat and pressure. In fact, we use both products in our cleaning process.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
                    Hi People
                    From what I see here is a bunch of non-users that do not have actual experience and only expand on a negative that was conceived by them! Let me point some items out,
                    1. The temp does not go over 150 degrees at the nozzle and reduces temp by 10 degrees for every inch from target. I can hold my hand 2-3 inches from this without having to go to a burn center. Toyota used the machine in tests and found safe as car paint is good to about 240 degrees F
                    2. Swirl marks this could happen IF it was done incorrectly the Steam jet process has a Bio degradable solution that helps lubricate and clean surface add this to a wiping application that changes sides of folded cloth so that the cloth is changed as you wipe. We find that using this system sets up the surface for a nice smooth finish with close to using clay.
                    3. The steam does a job on Mercedes and Jag wheels that is incredible melts that brake dust right off no bad water going down the drain (suggest color coded towels that would only be used for wheels)
                    4. The US Border Patrol uses this machine in several different locations and is very happy the way it cleans vechicles inside and out and let me tell you the insides are packed with electronics and we never had a problem (no hi pressure)
                    Hopes this helps a little
                    Skip
                    Hello Skip

What kind of "bio degradable solution" do you use before starting steam cleaning? Could you please let me know the name of it? I may find it locally (Istanbul)

Thanks
                    Serkan

Comment

Originally posted by jlatis View Post
                      Hi,

I am new to the forum. I was recently visiting Texas and I also saw a car wash that uses steam to clean the car. I asked them if it was safe for the car paint and they say yes. Apparently the temperature of the steam ranges between 170 F and 190 F and it is only applied for 3 or 4 seconds. I also asked if the steam would remove the wax and they say no because is only applied for a few seconds. To remove the wax it would take about 30 seconds of steaming the area. They also mentioned that some waxes have a high melting point so it would be more difficult to be removed.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Can this be true? I know car paints are a lot better now days and can withstand high temperatures but at what point is not safe for the car paint anymore. I have seen a show where they measured the temperature of the car
                      Do you remember which detailer that was, by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');