• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand or Machine AIO Application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand or Machine AIO Application?

Hey guys. So, I'm budgeting what I can spend this spring in detailing supplies and I keep changing between machine and hand application of an AIO.

My Daily Driver Special would include a clay , AIO and a wipe down of the interior but I don't know whether to go machine or hand application. I want to keep my spending low without minimizing quality but I also know that machine usage can yield better results. Though I would have to buy some more pads and replace them as needed.

I was also thinking of buying some LC pads since they come in 5.5".

I was thinking of A12, Colorx, M66 or M20 (I find D151 hard to work with and it hazed my Honda paint) as my AIO options?

First question, should I go hand or machine?

If machine, is it worth it to have 5.5" pads (I have 4" Megs pads and Megs Softbuff 2.0 pads)? If machine what AIO do you recommend?

If by hand, what AIO do you recommend?

I will adjust the price depending on what route I go but any suggestions would help. Thanks in advance!
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Re: Hand or Machine AIO Application?

Probably would want M66 for hand use...

I think it is more a matter of how much correction you plan on selling?

Doing an AIO by hand is basically just a wax job. With a machine, you can get some correction. Are you going to be ok telling customers that you wont be removing defects, etc, or making it clear in that package?

And then if you do offer a package including defect removal, that will likely need a machine.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yeah, I am using the machine for true paint correction packages.

If doing it by hand, I would explain that it will improve the paint by cleaning the dirt from the pores therefore increasing the gloss.

Why do you say to use M66 for hand use?
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698

Comment

Similar to ColorX, but in bulk. Unless you find ColorX for a good price to use a lot of.

If you already have a machine, no reason not to use it. Buying a couple extra pads vs. the time savings and results.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would still take the M66 over the ColorX, M66 has more bite.

I would apply the M66 with either a G110 or a PC. I usually use the LC 5.5" green pad with M66 or a W8207 pad, depending on the vehicle.

I have tried D151 a few times and really just did not care for it.

As for using M66 by hand or machine,

It does not play well by hand, it works but your not taking full advantage of the product.

I have used gallons and gallons of M66 with a PC, its great for one stepping daily drivers and for final polishing on soft paint.

Great product that has made me a lot of money.
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

If you have a machine, why would you do it by hand? (Honest question).

I see no advantage in that, it will provide for less correction and take longer. From both a business and results perspective, I suggest using a machine.

5.5 inch pads are not essential, but might speed things up a bit. Theoretically, however, the smaller pad will give a little more corrective power.

I also suggest the M66. Very, very easy to apply and remove and gives fantastic results.

Comment

Thanks Nick and Mark. I'll go with machine application of M66. It's also pretty cheap.

D151 just wasn't as nice to use as other AIO's I've tried.

Nick, when would you use a 5.5" LC Green Pad?
              Tedrow's Detailing
              845-642-1698

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
                Thanks Nick and Mark. I'll go with machine application of M66. It's also pretty cheap.

D151 just wasn't as nice to use as other AIO's I've tried.

Nick, when would you use a 5.5" LC Green Pad?
                I will use the W8207 pad on large flat surfaces, like this:

I'll use the LC green pad on something that needs some cleaning and where I can take my time and work in the tighter areas.

This truck comes to mind:

And this is the amount of dirt and grime I usually pull out of a vehicle, give or take:

Nick
                Tucker's Detailing Services
                815-954-0773
                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Maybe when I see how business gets going I'll invest in some 5.5" pads but for right now I think I'll stick with the 7" 2.0 and 4" pads. Thanks for your help.
                  Tedrow's Detailing
                  845-642-1698

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');