• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First paying gig!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First paying gig!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on my first paid customer, one of my co-workers who wanted me to bring out some shine in his 2005 F-150. Let me say that this truck has some massive real estate on it!
    Anyways I started last Wednesday on it, I can only work on it when he's running out of our station so the next time will be on Friday.

I told him that I'd do it for $50, I'm already at work getting paid plus he has hooked us up with lunch plenty of times so I thought I'd pay it foward a bit. Plus it makes slow days go by!

So far I've washed with GC Gold, tires and wells were cleaned up with Purple Power, wheels cleaned up nicely with All Wheel, clayed with Meg's blue clay w/Quik Detailer and 1 coat of NXT 2.0 due to time constraints.

Now heres where I'm hitting a dead end. The truck sits outside all day and night, the paint is blue and it appears to be in excellent condition for sitting outside. My co-worker said that it's never been waxed since he bought it new so I'm positive that it's never had a proper detail done on it. All I've been able to identify is some bug etching on the front bumper and some RIDS here and there...nothing too serious. Swirls are light and can't really pick them out under normal lighting conditions.

Now I was thinking about maybe going back with SwirlX or M205 to clean up the paint a bit and thin out the swirls to bring out the color some. I'm also thinking about adding a coat of M16 on top of the NXT....well 2 coats as the NXT will probably go bye bye if I clean the paint up more.
    I'm going to hit up the interior with the tried and true M39/40 combo as it really needs some TLC!!

With winter weather already here I'm not quite sure how to further approach this.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Re: First paying gig!

Depends on the time you have....

Hitting it with a cleaner/wax then wax would speed things up to get 2 coats of wax.

But SwirlX/#205, then Wax, Wax is fine also.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If you want to simply clean the paint and remove some swirls at the same time then I would look into M66 Quick Detailer or D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream applied via the G110.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

M16 on a $50 dollar detail????

Andy
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

If the paint is in relatively good shape, I would go with the #66. It would be a timesaver and it produces excellent results.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

Murr, If all goes well I should have about 11 hours to knock this out, taking an hour in the morning to get our rig checks and coffee in and lunch with no calls. The paint looks fantastic as it is, maybe I'll do the tailgate and see how much better I can make it.

Tuck, You know after the spray paint incident I was over at a body shop store that carries alot of MG products and they had a gallon of M66.
            I eyeballed it real hard but chose to skip on it as I didn't really forsee the need to have it.....DOH!!! I won't be able to pick it up before Friday.

Andy, Yup 50 bones! Well he paid me 70 yesterday, he said he likes how I do things and it's still alot cheaper then what he would have thought it to be. As I said before, he has hooked me up alot so I'm just paying him back with a quality detail that won't kill his Christmas budget. I'm also getting paid my regular wage. Why not do something instead of being bored all day waiting for someone to call 911.

I agree with ya J.A., just have to find time to pick up the 66, which I just may this weekend for future details.
            For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');