• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3Mâ„¢ Rubbing Compound = Meguiars???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Mâ„¢ Rubbing Compound = Meguiars???

Is there a product in meguiars product line up that is similar to 3Mâ„¢ Super Duty Rubbing Compound?

From 3M's web site:
    3Mâ„¢ Super Duty Rubbing Compound

Aggressive compound. Remains wet on the job with little or no mess. Maintains high rate of cut with constant pressure. Buffs to high gloss with minimum of swirl marks. Can be used by hand or machine.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

I think it is very close to #84, not quite as abrasive as #85.

Comment

Re: 3Mâ„¢ Rubbing Compound = Meguiar's???

Originally posted by gb387
      Is there a product in Meguiar's product line up that is similar to 3Mâ„¢ Super Duty Rubbing Compound?

From 3M's web site:

3Mâ„¢ Super Duty Rubbing Compound

Aggressive compound. Remains wet on the job with little or no mess. Maintains high rate of cut with constant pressure. Buffs to high gloss with minimum of swirl marks. Can be used by hand or machine.
      Hi gb387,

According to my understanding and experience with Meguiar's compounds, we don't have any product that would compare in an apples-to-apples sort of way.

All of our automotive compounds use diminishing abrasives that must be applied with a rotary buffer to be effective. The key words in the above description are minimum of swirl marks. Meguiar's R&D formulates all our product to be low to no swirl products. I find that if you properly buff our compounds with a rotary buffer, the resulting finish has more of what I would call a buffer haze and not a buffer swirl. This leftover haze after compounding with our products is very shallow and buffs out easily and quickly with one of our cleaner/polishes with a foam polishing pad.

I'll check with Mike Pennington to get his opinion, but I'm pretty sure at this time, we don't make a comparable product in our automotive Professional Line.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
        I think it is very close to #84, not quite as abrasive as #85.
        I'm fairly confident that the 3M Super Duty is a lot more aggressive than both of our #84 Compound Power Cleaner and our #85 Diamond Cut Compound. It's been a few years since I buffed with this product, but if my memory is correct, it is a very aggressive cutting compound.

Typically, the trade-off for speed is scouring and deep swirls. This in-turn requires more buffing to remove the scouring and swirls which means more and longer buffing time. It also means removing more film-build.

Meguiar's system is designed to move you forward in your polishing process so each step make the finish look smoother, more clear with with a high gloss swirl-free finish.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the replys... we use it alot at work and I would consider it to be very agressive, as you said Mike and sometimes I think to agressive for some of the things we use it on. I am not farmiliar with meguiars more agressive products, just kind of checking to see what else is out there.

From what you remember when you used it some time ago... Would this be more agressive than any of the products that Meguiars makes? I am trying to get an idea where it falls in your agressive scale.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
            Thanks for the replys... we use it a lot at work and I would consider it to be very aggressive, as you said Mike and sometimes I think to aggressive for some of the things we use it on. I am not familiar with Meguiar's more aggressive products, just kind of checking to see what else is out there.

From what you remember when you used it some time ago... Would this be more aggressive than any of the products that Meguiar's makes? I am trying to get an idea where it falls in your aggressive scale.
            I believe this is more aggressive than either the #85 and the #84 in our automotive Professional Line at this time. We have more aggressive compounds, but they are in the Marine Line and the Mold Release Line and they are far to aggressive to be safely used on an automotive paint finish.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have Super Duty RC and I'm telling you, its the most aggressive product I have: literally like liquid sandpaper In fact you can actually see the abrasives in the product!

Do use with extreme caution. On an area with thin paint , by hand I rubbed through the paint quickly!
              Last edited by Bill D; Nov 12, 2004, 07:08 PM.
              my product collection-- New !
              My Detailing Credo
              Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

I must have been thinking about the regular perfect-it rubbing compound. Sorry about the mis-information, 3M has so many different rubbing compounds and numbers.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');