• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Boat

Hi all this is my first post here. My father and I have recently begun our own mobile detailing. Were an auto and marine detail company. Weve done cars before but never a boat other than our own. Today we did our first "customer boat". However the problem is we were 85% done with the boat when it started to rain. The customer knew of the possible weather conditions and told us to come anyway. All we needed to do was put on a coat of wax and small details such as the glass and 2 vinyl seats. Now we cant go back for a minimum of two weeks because the customer is going away. He paid us half the original agreed price. Now the question is do we go back and finish the work from where we left off and keep the price the same? Do we go back and start all over again because of weather and other conditions and keep the price the same and lose money from travelling and doing the work twice? Or do we go back, start all over again and finish it and raise the price slightly for double working? Any help is appreciated from the more veteran detailers. Thanks

Jay
    2005 Scion tC Silver
    2006 CBR 600RR black/red
    Father And Son Detailing

Re: 1st Boat

I am not a detailer but I would think that it would be smart to have a stipulation in my pricing for weather, for the next time. I would think you could tell the guy, "I can try and finish from where I started for the other half of the money, or do it all again but maybe with a discount." The way I see it, he paid you for what you did, not that he paid for 1/2 a job. Consider it a brand new job when you go back.

Comment

Since you agreed on the set price before the rain eat the cost and do the job right.Since there is 2 of you it wont take too long.Hopefully hes a good customer.And will be back.Next time have two prices.
      2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
      Show Car Detail

Comment

Thats what I figured we do. Go back and eat it. We shouldn't have to do ever step over again since now the boat wasnt sitting 5 months uncovered it will only be 2 weeks. Should really only need a touching up, wash of course since it sat then a fresh layer of wax since all thats been done now is the compound and polish, and just finish the job out right. LIVE AND LEARN i guess.

Jay
        2005 Scion tC Silver
        2006 CBR 600RR black/red
        Father And Son Detailing

Comment

I don't do any boat work, but I would say in the current situation, go back and do what you said you were going to do, and keep the price. It's not your fault that it rained, but it did. Like you said, you're gonna have to sacrifice a little bit, but it'll be better in the long run (positive customear refferel's, repeat customer...)

One tip of advice I'd give you though, invest in some type of tent or tarp set-up. I detail in Seattle so I have to kind of expect that it could rain on any detail, especially this time of year. They can be a little spendy, but definitely worth the investment since you won't have to going back to jobs to finish them, plus it helps draw in customers when they don't really have to worry about weather when making an appointment.
          Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the advice, we'll just eat it and go back like I said no biggie. Hopefully it pays in the end with him telling others about us and gaining more business.

Jay
            2005 Scion tC Silver
            2006 CBR 600RR black/red
            Father And Son Detailing

Comment

Jay,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online and the world of boat detailing! You have got the right attitude, go back and finish the boat as promised.

It was unfortunate that it rained, however there is really not much that can be done when the weather works against you like that. The best approach is to do whatever it takes to satisfy your customer. That is really all that matters. Sometimes it will take a little more effort on your part, and that is just part of being in your own business.

Also, were are you located at the jersey shore? You can shoot me an email [No email addresses are allowed on MOL; Thanks, 2hotford]

Happy Boating!
              FRANK CANNA
              Mirror Finish Detailing
              23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Hi Jay, I have benn detailing car's for 10+ years and aonly now I too want to expand to boat detailing. I have done boat's before and know how much there is to do. Me personaly I would do it over and eat the cost.Only because if my customer is very satisfied with my work and how much extra I put into the job,it can only mean 1 thing more job's. Word of mouth spread's quickly. Well best wishes on you new buisness.

Comment

Below is a boat detailing article you may find interesting that was recently published in Professional Carwashing & Detailing Magazine.

FRANK CANNA
                  Mirror Finish Detailing
                  23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');