• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Light Ahhhhhh !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Light Ahhhhhh !!!!

Hello every one hope you all are doing well!!! I have a question on knowing how to use different lights to check for scraches or imperfections that were un seen under regular lighting? What kind of lights is there, what size are they, or what is there available. I use regular halogen afte I'm done using the rotary, but then I get a certain angles and I catch a few little mistakes that are only seen at a certain angles. Thanks for the help, have a good one.

Re: The Light Ahhhhhh !!!!

I've hard of high intensity lamps, but the best one is sunlight. that will show any defect remaining.
    just take the car out to the sun and check every panel for defects.

hope this helps
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Try this post: Where can I find a "Swirl Finder Light", read down a little and you will see a photo of one and lots of discussion on them and other light ideas.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I have found that high intensity point source light is the best for seeing swirls and paint imperfections. The broad illumination from fluorescent, while improving your working vision and effectively reducing shadows, does little to highlight swirls. The sun is good but you can't polish your car in the sun with most products as the paint will get too hot and cause the polish to dry out too fast.

I use a combination of lights. Some fluorescent coupled with many 100-watt clear incandescent bulbs mounted on the ceiling along with a pair of dual 500 watt halogen lights on tripods. You can move these tripods around easily as you detail and change the angle to verify you have eliminated the swirls. I'd suggest that you buy tripods that can extend to 80 inches or higher. This one pictured from Lowes extends to 8 feet. Sears, Home Depot, Lowes are all sources for these type of portable halogen work lights.

Regent Lighting Twin Stand Work Light with Tripod
        Jim
        My Gallery

Comment

FWIW, I just noticed that Sears Craftsman Club has this 1000 watt light on sale for $18.99 normally $29.99, from Oct 22nd. - Oct. 28th. Not as nice as the previous item I posted but it's about 1/3 the price.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ..._BFO3z5Au9NJ2R
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

FWIW, I just noticed that Sears Craftsman Club has this 1000 watt light on sale for $18.99 normally $29.99, from Oct 22nd. - Oct. 28th.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ..._BFO3z5Au9NJ2R
            Jim
            My Gallery

Comment

Thanks guys for giving me advice and help I appreciate it. I will look these up and put them to practice.

Comment

I am looking for one of these also. I like the one at Lowes best.
                Been hinting for one for Christmas.
                MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');