• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEBATE: Which is better, a mobile or a fixed detailing business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DEBATE: Which is better, a mobile or a fixed detailing business?

Who says both are not good avenues? I started mobile, have both fixed and mobile and if I had my choice and lived within an area where the weather supported 100% mobile...I would go mobile again!
    Renny Doyle
    Attention To Details
    "Detailers of Air Force One"
    www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

I started with a mobile business, then opened a brick and mortar shop. Now I'm back to just being mobile. A fixed location is way more expensive, than a mobile business.
      Some things I noticed while I had my shop open...

1-More overhead
      2-Challenge to get people in the door
      3-If you don't get a prime area, then you won't be seen
      4-forced to run a production shop.
      5-low overhead being mobile, I don't have to have xx amount of vehicles per week to meet my finacial obligations. Meaning I can spend more time on a customers vehicle, and therfore do a better job.

Just my $0.02

Nick
      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Some points for discussion that I find contradictory to my experience at my fixed location shop:

I keep hearing the advantages of a brick and mortor when it rains or snows but as far as I can remember (I worked in a shop for 12 years) jobs were canceled at the same rate as for a mobile unit
        Do you mobile guys work in rain? I imagine if a job doesn't cancel you would find a way to get it done.

I'm in a suburb of Phila. with dodgy weather in winter (snow) and spring (rain). We do get cancellations on some foul weather days but take today for example - calling for rain and t-storms (it's raining right now actually) but we have five details on the lot, all retail. Most likely no hand washes unless the sun comes out.

3-If you don't get a prime area, then you won't be seen
        4-forced to run a production shop.
        3-I agree with that statement, though if you are mobile you don't have a spot period. Unless you are out and about with a rig with graphics you won't be seen either. Advertising is key in both cases.

4-I don't agree with this statement. I'm sure you're location and its demographics play a large role but in general I don't think you need to do wholesale work to stay afloat. They are nice accounts to have as long as they don't get in the way of retail jobs.

I think the best type of shop is the one that you can get to work for you. Mobile has the advantage of having lower overhead but you can do more work in a fixed location. At least those are the biggest pro's that I see for each type of set-up.

Of the shop owners out there, both fixed and mobile, what is the top gross income you think you can achieve set-up the way you are?

Myself, I have 5-6 guys working for me from April - Nov, 2-3 guys through end of fall to end of winter. I have 2 inside bays and 2 areas to work on cars outside when it isn't precipitating. I am working towards a YE gross of 200-250k from detailing and hand washing alone. Got a ways to go but I think it is achievable in the next couple years.

Comment

Even though I am mobile I would love to add a shop one day.
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Good topic. Guess what I did? I just converted my detached garage into a simple detail shop. If I have a client that wants their vehicle done at a shop or the weather demands it - I just do it here. It's obviously not as effective as an actually commercial location but there is no overhead and it actually created a great write-off for my taxes!

Here are some pics -

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

I do the same but my garage isnt nearly that nice.
              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                I do the same but my garage isnt nearly that nice.
                your works so good Joe, people would bring it to you if you had a canopy set-up in your drive way!
                Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Great article. However there really isnt any doubt---Mobile detailing is here to stay. If you have ever been to a car wash and let their detailers do the work , they seem to have very little passion for their work. Mobile detailers come to you. Their very passionate about their work. Remember, you get what you pay for and if you have a nice ride you don't sell yourself short.

Comment

I cant believe it has been over 2 years already!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');