• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older lady needs help for advancing to DA polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gagar
    replied
    Re: Older lady needs help for advancing to DA polisher

Thank you, Nick. Both videos were helpful in my decision making. Somehow, I had missed these on my quest.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Winn
    replied

Welcome to Meguiar's Online! I think either our DA Power System drill attachment or an actual electric DA polisher like our MT300 will help with your goals. As far as comfort, for anyone starting out machine polishing it takes a little time to get comfortable. In regards to defect removal capability, a dedicated electric Dual Action Polisher machine like our MT300 will be able to remove more severe defects than our DA Power System, especially when paired with an aggressive cutting disc & compound.

These types of machines have very low risk of permanent damage. While we hear of many who want to start out on a "junker" or not so important car, it's really not necessary. What usually happens when starting out is that you do not get the results you are after, and it may take a few attempts to get the hang of it. Below are some videos which highlight some technique tips for our DA Power System or a DA Polisher machine:

Leave a comment:

• gagar
    replied

You hit the nail on the head. I can scratch that off my list in making my decision. Thx, Bill.

Leave a comment:

• BillE
    replied

Originally posted by gagar View Post
    My goals- (1) correcting small blemishes, which may require some wet sanding, suspect that many may respond to Scratch X . (2) Application of liquid wax. Surprisingly my red 2007 Camry has kept a decent finish in spite of only an occasional spray wax at the drive thru car wash. I suppose it's because this part of NC has more rainy days second only to Seattle. (So the saying goes.) Actually thinking that a 3 inch polishing head might be sufficient for my needs but will need to learn more about counter weights. Thx HCAD.
    Are you referring to the counter weight on a PC? If so, not to be concerned. Ya have to remember the PC started its' life as a SANDER, hence the different weights really made a difference when using different sized sanding discs. Using it as 'buffer' it really doesn't make any difference.

Hope this helps...

Bill

Leave a comment:

• gagar
    replied

My goals- (1) correcting small blemishes, which may require some wet sanding, suspect that many may respond to Scratch X . (2) Application of liquid wax. Surprisingly my red 2007 Camry has kept a decent finish in spite of only an occasional spray wax at the drive thru car wash. I suppose it's because this part of NC has more rainy days second only to Seattle. (So the saying goes.) Actually thinking that a 3 inch polishing head might be sufficient for my needs but will need to learn more about counter weights. Thx HCAD.

Leave a comment:

• HCAD
    replied

An additional thought concerning the Porter Cable vs other polishers. The vibration level really come into play when you're correcting an entire vehicle. If you tackle your car one panel at a time, resting in between for an hour or a day, it may not be an issue. I have an older Porter Cable and a Meguiar's, and I don't notice a huge difference between the two. My older PC is actually smaller and easier to handle than the newer Meguiar's machine.

Leave a comment:

• gagar
    replied

I'm sort of a misfit in my small golfing community,. I would be surprised if anyone would even recognize the Meguiar brand. Thanks for the kind thought, Bill.

Leave a comment:

• gagar
    replied

Old Bear, can't express enough appreciation for your observations as they are addressing my concerns.THX.

Leave a comment:

• BillE
    replied

I'm wondering or maybe just thinkin' out loud but...maybe someone reading these posts in you 'neighborhood' would be able and willing to to lend a hand.

I think more folks read this forum than reply so maybe someone will come forth.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Old Bear
    replied

Gagar
    I apologize for being a little ambiguous.
    I selected the MT300 DA Polisher, not the drill mounted DA polisher attachment.
    I felt my two hands could control the larger full polisher easier than a drill.
    With neuropathy in the fingers, it is easier to hold the polisher with a trigger hand and the other on the adjustable u shaped handle.

Leave a comment:

• gagar
    replied

Thx, Old Bear. A very good point. Did see that some reviewers considered the vibration as a negative for the Porter Cable.

Leave a comment:

• Old Bear
    replied

Gagar asked "Is the small DA polisher still available and is it worth the cost which may necessitate a new drill?"

At 68 and coming off of frozen shoulders, I went with a Meguiar's DA polisher. The Porter Cable may be an affordable alternative. I have heard it vibrates a little more than the MT300. The vibrations can tire our arms out sooner.

Leave a comment:

• gagar
    replied

Your reply encouraged me to look beyond my local community college but the Tech school at 1.5 hours away only teaches emission control, etc. If I get discouraged at 80, can only imagine what a high school student wanting a good trade outside computers must feel. I have benefitted greatly from the online videos but would prefer to use a polisher on a junker before making mistakes on my car that I hope to make last and look good for my last 5 years of driving.
    Last edited by gagar; Aug 12, 2017, 09:09 AM. Reason: more info

Leave a comment:

• gagar
    replied

Thanks, HCAD. There are a few paint transfers that I haven't been able to remove completely with Meguiar products, so will investigate the options you suggested. Presume they are safe for clear coat. Will look for the PorterCable polisher locally. At first glance on Amazon, seems it may be a little heavy at 5+ pounds for me to hold and use on the side panels where most of the blemishes occur, but would probably work well for a very bothersome bird poop etching on my hood. (Should have watched the videos before I let the bird droppings eat away some clear coat.) Must admit that I am a hit or miss person for detailing my car, even though I find it more satisfying than gardening or some of the other chores of everyday life. Have a great mechanic and a valid drivers license that will get me through another 5 years, if I can just keep the finish decent on my red Camry.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Dragon
    replied

A community college wouldn't usually have a detailing class. For that I'd look for a technical or trade school for high school students to learn plumbing, cement work, carpentry, chef's cooking, etc. But the online videos have plenty of info that you can learn without driving somewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');