• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I assume my car was washed with an egg beater and wire wheel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I assume my car was washed with an egg beater and wire wheel...

So, after quite a few hours attempting to remove or at least significantly reduce the spiderweb scratches in my car's paint, I'm turning to the collective wisdom of the forum for assistance.

I have a 2013 Honda Accord sedan in black. Thus far, I've washed (two buckets, grit guards, Maguire's gold class car wash and wash mitt, flood rinse, Maguire's microfiber drying towel), clayed, and used ultimate compound and polish (Maguire's foam applicators applied by hand, length of fingers to avoid pressure points, and worked compound/polish until it broke down but not so long as to have it dry or be difficult to remove, removed with clean microfiber).

So, basically having read posts and watched videos all over the internet, I did my best to follow all the best practices and use the right products.

Anyway, after that I saw no real reduction in the swirls I was trying to address. I applied gold class wax and gave up for the week. Determined to make some progress, the following week I washed and dried the car, then taped off a test area on the trunk. Tried ultimate polish; no result. Scratch X 2.0; no result.
    I did 6 passes with ultimate compound (still by hand, 4"applicator pads, etc.) in the test area, and didn't seem to make and real progress in swirl reduction. I did manage to add a fine haze, but two rounds with ultimate polish took that out without too much trouble.

Haze in center section before removal:

[IMG][/IMG]

Area right of test area:

I had thought perhaps I wasn't using enough pressure, as my understanding is Honda paint is quite soft and I didn't want to take more paint than necessary, but the fact that I created a haze would seem to indicate too much pressure.

Anyway, this is quickly turning from a therapeutic exercise into a reason for needing therapy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');