• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsure what wax for the daily driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure what wax for the daily driver?

So, Ive got the daily driver to a good condition - Ive washed, clayed, Ultimate compounded, Ultimate polished, and sealed.

I now want to do away with the sealer

Should I wash it regularly until the sealer is 'done' then apply a Cleaner wax and use that?

Im always confused once detailing.. what to do weeks later, do i need to clay it every few weeks when most of the wax is gone or just wash and re-wax over the top, and so looking to cover all areas with acleaner wax (itl remove the old) - Detailing World scaremonger with "youll drag dirt around the paint" etc. and no-one can agree ont he steps needed - All online write ups just shows you steps to get the ca rlookign good but nothing to say how often you need to polish/clay or how to reapply wax a few weeks later

Its a daily driver so its not going to be show car quality, just want it to look good and spend some time on it every couple of weeks

Thanks

Re: Unsure what wax for the daily driver?

OR

do I go for a normal waxing session, if so whats my process now the paints put back to a good condition - what is the method for rewaxing a few weeks later? ie. clay? polish? or just wash?

Comment

Im eyeing up cleaner waxes as it may be easier for me - its a BIG car and the missus would rathe rI spent more time on the other chores than rub the car haha

Comment

Since the car is already polished and sealed, go with Ultimate Spray Wax. It's not necessary to remove your protective sealant. It will save you a lot of work and make wife (and life) happier.
        You will be surprised how easy it is to use.

Comment

OR you could wash, clay and apply any wax you wish No need to remove the sealant. It is good protection.
          I spent a few days in your area over New Year's way back in 1966. Can't remember the name of the town. It is between Northampton and Kettering.

Comment

That could be a few places - Wellingborough, corby, rushden?

Comment

As stated up above use a spray wax such as ultimate quik wax or D156 to boost that sealant from time to time. It will help maintain the product for a few months. When your QD and towel start to drag on the paint, that is a sign that it is time to reapply your protection. A sealant is more durable than a cleaner wax. A cleaner wax will remove anything that was done prior. You will just have to do it more often.

Polishing is typically done once or twice a year. Claying is about the same time frame. Use the baggie test to determine if you have to clay or not. Contaminants are going to happen. But you don't have to clay every wash. Washing weekly will help.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

MEguairs should do a cleaner wax that contains canuba - this one appears to just contain oils?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthantsPete View Post
                  MEguairs should do a cleaner wax that contains canuba - this one appears to just contain oils?
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Just pulled the trigger on a Megs paste cleaner wax and nxt shampoo - the environmental contaminates are the worst here, literally brown dusty dirt ont he car days later after a wash so a cleaner wax regularly should add some extra cleaning ability to my 6-8 week waxing session

I can then clay and polish once a year or longer depending ont he cleaning ability ongoing over time (6-12 times a year)

Comment

I've been using Meguiars Cleaner Wax (liquid) for years. The only issue I've ever had with it is that it stains trim. Super wax for all the 'daily drivers' in my house. I typically get about 4 - 6 weeks out of an application

Comment

Both M6 and D301 are cleaner-waxes with carnauba (and there may be others). With D301, it doesn't stain trim (mainly because it's not white), and doesn't require drying or curing. Just apply, then wipe off.
                        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Comment

The gaps are where the water just slid off.

Very happy with Cleaner wax... it also tidied up the paintwork too - bonus.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');