• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me identify these markings on my car's paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me identify these markings on my car's paint

Howdy all - I recently noticed some 'specs' on my car's paint while filling up under the fluorescent lights of a gas station. They were especially visible under that type of lighting, and you'd be hard pressed to see anything in normal daylight. They seem to be evenly distributed over the hood, roof, c-pillars and trunk (but not the doors). I washed the car and did a test with some cleaner wax, but the spots remained. I then tried some goo gone, but again they remain. I cannot feel the them when I run my hand over the clean surface, and I definitely don't want to risk scratching the paint by using a finger nail to see if they're etched into the paint/clear.

Any guess as to what I'm dealing with here? Thanks for your help!

Re: Please help me identify these markings on my car's paint

Can you try the cheap sandwich bag trick? Then try it across the spots gently moving your hand across the paint with your fingertips in the bag. I don't know if claying will help or not....but its always where I start.

Comment

Has any paint correction been done on the car? Has this area been repainted? A cleaner wax is not that aggressive. Perhaps move up to ultimate compound. It is possible that these defects are under the clear.

By the way sweet ride. Love the color.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hi there,
        Yours look pretty similar to fine scratches on my car bonett, but I am not sure what yours exactly is. I have successfully removed those fine scratches from my bonnet of my new car with scratch X 2.0. Here is my post http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...products/page2 and I did it according to this post http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...hlight=cheetah.

Comment

It may also be solvent pop. Something to look into.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

1. Welcome to MOL
            2. That is a beautiful car
            3. Can you try to get a clearer shot of the spots? I will sometimes use a piece of painters tape or my finger to trick the camera into focusing onto the paint's surface rather than the lights on the ceiling.
            Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
            2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');