• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Paint - Best products and Methods - Info wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Paint - Best products and Methods - Info wanted

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
    If you are looking for a DA that won't break the bank consider the harbor freight da. Pair it with the new thin foam Meguiar's pads and backing plate. SEMA is around toe corner so lots of things coming in terms of tools if you wish to wait.
    Thanks! I was reading about the Harbor Freight DA in another thread... $70 and even less with a coupon... right?
    Vinny
    NYC area
    http://s228.photobucket.com/user/hurstoldz/media/My%201962%20Oldsmobile%20Starfire%202015/IMG_0835_zps9992fjj5.jpg.html

Comment

More than likely even less than that when it's on sale and using a 20% off coupon.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
        If you are looking for a DA that won't break the bank consider the harbor freight da. Pair it with the new thin foam Meguiar's pads and backing plate. SEMA is around toe corner so lots of things coming in terms of tools if you wish to wait.
        Are the
        • DBP6 Soft Buff DA Backing Plate- Distributes pressure for smoother finishing
        • DFC6 Soft Buff Foam Cutting Disc- Improved foam technology cuts through moderate surface defects with no swirls
        • DFP6 Soft Buff Foam Polishing Disc- Low profile for optimized performance
        • DFF6 Soft Buff Foam Finishing Disc- Advanced finishing results from increased disc and tool efficiency

the new pads that you mentioned above?
        Vinny
        NYC area
        http://s228.photobucket.com/user/hurstoldz/media/My%201962%20Oldsmobile%20Starfire%202015/IMG_0835_zps9992fjj5.jpg.html

Comment

That's the BP and discs you want. Personally, I'd do the same setup with the 5" BP and pads. Most D/A polishers will have less issues keeping the pad spinning with the smaller size, but it's a minor point. Also, if it was last painted in the 80's and you have old-school single-stage enamel paint, after cleaning and claying, rub it down with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze and let it soak in overnight before removing. It will "moisturize" the paint and make it more workable by preventing the paint from absorbing the liquid in the polish or compound. Once you're all done with polishing, before you apply any wax, do another pass with #7 and it'll look super-wet.

BTW, VERY cool car! The '61 bubbletops seem to get more attention, but the 1962's, with the new roofline, the super-cool interior and those silver side inserts really get my vote!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
            That's the BP and discs you want. Also, if it was last painted in the 80's and you have old-school single-stage enamel paint, after cleaning and claying, rub it down with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze and let it soak in overnight before removing. It will "moisturize" the paint and make it more workable by preventing the paint from absorbing the liquid in the polish or compound. Once you're all done with polishing, before you apply any wax, do another pass with #7 and it'll look super-wet.

BTW, VERY cool car! The '61 bubbletops seem to get more attention, but the 1962's, with the new roofline, the super-cool interior and those silver side inserts really get my vote!

Bill
            Thanks Bill... interesting point about letting the glaze soak overnight. I will try that.

Vinny
            NYC area

Comment

I also got the cheap Harbor Freight DA. mainly just to do my own car then others started to take notice. Now I'm detailing others cars and making some change. It still haven't broken down or anything so it should be perfect for light use. I'd definitely get meguires pads. the HF backing plate chews up their own pads after a while and leaves foam dust everywhere.... then the pad falls apart..... needless to say, can't wait till my new Meguires pads and backing plate arrive!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Slick View Post
                I also got the cheap Harbor Freight DA. mainly just to do my own car then others started to take notice. Now I'm detailing others cars and making some change. It still haven't broken down or anything so it should be perfect for light use. I'd definitely get meguires pads. the HF backing plate chews up their own pads after a while and leaves foam dust everywhere.... then the pad falls apart..... needless to say, can't wait till my new Meguires pads and backing plate arrive!
                I did buy the HF DA off ebay new $40... thanks for the comment
                Vinny
                NYC area

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');