• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MT300 question on spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thedoc46
    replied
    Re: MT300 question on spinning

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
    That's typical of any DA unless you have a flex with forced rotation.
    Funny enough it was a flex I watched a video on, when Mike Phillips said about 15lb of downwards pressure and you want to see it spin. Hence my OP. So is it fair to say with the MT300 for swirl removal, just keep it with light pressure to obtain maximum spin or press down with 15lb of pressure and have it mainly oscillate ?

Leave a comment:

• The Guz
    replied

That's typical of any DA unless you have a flex with forced rotation.

Leave a comment:

• thedoc46
    replied

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
    Are you keeping the pad flat to the surface? Tilting of the pad can be easy to do and will surely stop the pad spinning on a DA machine.
    I was, however on a car there are many curved panels, so unless you're working on a certain part of the hood or roof or side of a door, you're going to encounter a curve. As soon as i relieved pressure it spun up fine... But applying downward pressure, it wanted to oscillate more-so that spin.

Leave a comment:

• The Guz
    replied

Good point. I had no issues using mine at 5800 OPM's.

Leave a comment:

• Selectchoice
    replied

Are you keeping the pad flat to the surface? Tilting of the pad can be easy to do and will surely stop the pad spinning on a DA machine.

Leave a comment:

• thedoc46
    started a topic MT300 question on spinning

MT300 question on spinning

So I used my MT300 properly today for the first time on a friends pretty heavily oxidized and swirled up 2008 Hyundai Sonarta. Did a wash, dry and clay using QD as a pre-requisite. I took off a lot of contaminates from the car.

I did notice though that if i applied any pressure on the MT300, it would only oscillate and not spin.. Only when i gave it hardly any pressure would it spin... I was under the understanding that for swirl removal, about 15lb of pressure should be applied and it needs to spin... I was on the 2nd from highest setting speed wise...

I was using a 5" backing plate and the 5" Meguiars maroon pad, with Ultimate Compound. It really did come out nice.. After giving it a few passes with hardly any pressure (thus spinning the compound in) I guess there were still some light swirls in the bright sunlight, but it looked a million times better than it did before i went to town on it... I finished off with a ULW.

Advice on the spinning / pressure for paint correction please. If the surface was completely flat, i could add more pressure and have it spin, but how many panels are there on a car that are completely flat? No many...I remember seeing a video (on a different DA Mike Phillips was using, mentioning, that if it wasn't spinning, then it wasn't removing the swirls.) Hence my post.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');