• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coin OP Car Wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin OP Car Wash

I do not have a high pressure water gun and I plan to go to a local coin op car wash to clean the undercarriage. Is there anything I should look out in these places?

Re: Coin OP Car Wash

not really. I'll even pull in too one on occasion while on a road trip.
    If you get a chance to talk to the owner or maintenance person ask to see there DI water filtration system. The one by my house welcomed me and showed me all his equipment and I was actually impressed and his spot free water was spot free.
    I would bring some APC (all purpose cleaner) to get the hard to clean stuff.
    You'll be fine as long as you don't use the wash brush on your paint.
    Only use the power washer.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I have a Spot Free car wash near my house. Does this name mean something?

I plan to use the high pressured water on the under carriage to rinse off the salt and dirts. They also provide soap and brush so maybe I will use it to the wheels.

Comment

Don't use the brush....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

DON'T USE THE BRUSH! It's been dropped and put through god knows what!
          Don't touch your car with anything but the water.
          I used to bucket wash there when I couldn't wash at my apt.
          I only used there water and maybe the degreaser on my rims and tires.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Yeah, using the brush is a no-no.

A guy at work uses a local coin car wash to maintain his Audi even in 30-ish degree weather. A few pointers he gave me are that he just uses the water and doesn't pull the trigger for the full power blast. I have noticed that if I have a good base wax, a simple low pressure rinse is adequate until I can wash it on the weekend.

Undercarriage may be a different story depending on how many unpaved roads you've traveled or where the dirt started settling in.

Comment

Agreed about using the brush on your paintwork.

However, if I understand correctly, the OP wants to use the brush on the wheels and/or undercarriage. Not so bad IMO, depending on what type of wheels he has..
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

The main purpose to use the high-pressured water is to rinse off the salt and road dirts accumulated throughout the winter in the undercarriage. These coin op car washes have time limit (4-5 minutes) so I would focus on the undercarriage.

Yes, I would like to apply the soap and blush to the wheels only. This is actually not too important because I am changing to summer wheels soon. It's not too difficult to clean the wheels while they are off the car!

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                  DON'T USE THE BRUSH! It's been dropped and put through god knows what!
                  Don't touch your car with anything but the water.
                  I used to bucket wash there when I couldn't wash at my apt.
                  I only used there water and maybe the degreaser on my rims and tires.
                  He's right! Who knows what that brush was used for and how many times it was dropped. Only time I go to the car wash is to spray the salt off my car and the undercarriage. Even use the pressure washer for the engine compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by JG_Detailing View Post
                    He's right! Who knows what that brush was used for and how many times it was dropped. Only time I go to the car wash is to spray the salt off my car and the undercarriage. Even use the pressure washer for the engine compartment.
                    Just go easy around electricals with the pressure in the engine bay. A previous vehicle needed a new ECU which was fried after one of the seals allowed water through the connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                      not really. I'll even pull in too one on occasion while on a road trip.
                      If you get a chance to talk to the owner or maintenance person ask to see there DI water filtration system. The one by my house welcomed me and showed me all his equipment and I was actually impressed and his spot free water was spot free.
                      What is this DI filtration system?
                      I am thinking that they use just fresh, untreated tap water, which I am okay with.

Comment

I just tried the Spot-Free coin wash here. This location is clean and well-maintained.

It is $4 for 4 minutes with bonus time for each additional dollar. I put in $6 and ended up for close to 7 minutes.
                        There are many options in the spray like high pressure rinse, wheel cleaner, spot-free rinse (low pressure), soap, etc. I used the high pressure rinse and the water was very, very strong. I rinsed the whole car and used more time for the undercarriage. I also tried the wheel cleaner, the green soap did not do anything to my dirty wheels.

All in all, I am happy with this car wash. Wish I knew of this place earlier in the winter. I may try to do a full wash there one day. Of course, I will bring my own GC wash, MF mitts, etc.

Comment

I use the brush all the time. Works great!
                          Show N Shine Car Detailing - Quality Care, Each and Every Time

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
                            What is this DI filtration system?
                            I am thinking that they use just fresh, untreated tap water, which I am okay with.
                            Deionized water. most of these have them and don't use unfiltered water.

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
                            I just tried the Spot-Free coin wash here. This location is clean and well-maintained.

It is $4 for 4 minutes with bonus time for each additional dollar. I put in $6 and ended up for close to 7 minutes.
                            There are many options in the spray like high pressure rinse, wheel cleaner, spot-free rinse (low pressure), soap, etc. I used the high pressure rinse and the water was very, very strong. I rinsed the whole car and used more time for the undercarriage. I also tried the wheel cleaner, the green soap did not do anything to my dirty wheels.

All in all, I am happy with this car wash. Wish I knew of this place earlier in the winter. I may try to do a full wash there one day. Of course, I will bring my own GC wash, MF mitts, etc.
                            AWESOME!!!!

Originally posted by stang2000 View Post
                            I use the brush all the time. Works great!
                            Your a lire! you really use the brush on your paint? I know you don't do that. Are you talking about the rims, tires & undercarriage?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

no on everyone else's paint, duh, lol. Tires and rims. Was just kidding about the brush thing, lol
                              Show N Shine Car Detailing - Quality Care, Each and Every Time

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');