• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car Owner Looking for Detailing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car Owner Looking for Detailing Advice

Hi,

I'm new to here and to car care. I bought a new 2012 Chevy Malibu last year and I want to take care of it. I looked for the best bang for the buck and ended up getting the Meguiars New Car Care Kit.

I looked in the forums to find the right washing I bought steps. So far I have washed with Meguiars Wash & wash using two buckets ans a microfiber mitt and cloth in kit.
    But I'm not sure what to do next.

There are a few light spider like scratches on the surface in spots.

Should I use ScratchX 2 to remove the light scratches? Or would that be too strong? I don't want to affect the otherwise good paint and clear coat. Some posts said it is really hard to remove scratches from a clear coat. This makes me wonder if the manufacturer color pen may be an easier option for now.

Also, the passenger door got nicked by someone with a white door in the parking lot. That left a white mark about about half of an inch on the blue metallic paint.
    What would be the best way to remove that?

Finally, and worst of all, there is scrape about 15 inches long on the hood, thanks to an unusually cold winter that caused ice to fall from the tree onto the car. The scratch is not overly deep but goes beneath the clear coat. I can feel a slight groove when running my fingers over it too. Is there a product that could diminish it or at least make this look better for now until I can afford to see a detailer?

You guys have some great info here that has helped so far. I'm just nervous about doing anything else for fear I could mess things up again.

Thanks for your help.

AJ
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');