• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust on wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust on wheels

I have a question regarding rust and wheels. My husband owns a 2006 Suzuki Reno. The wheels are nothing fancy. I believe they are standard aluminum wheels with what looks like a black coating of paint and then a plastic hubcap that is designed to look fancy but really is not. These are the type of wheel that you can not see the rotors. I am noticing rust on the wheel where the plastic hubcap does not cover. I am wondering what is a good method of removing it and getting it back to the black matt finish it originally had? Would this maybe be removing the rust and using some kind of spray paint and reapply?

Here's some pics

Re: Rust on wheels

Its actually a steel wheel, painted black.

You would have to sand the rust off, prime and re-paint.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

ya just sand back and repaint. I would use some 150 grit and 300. spray with some rust remedy(it chemically changes rust into a workable material) or try rustolem. you could then use some black primer-sealer 2 coats. some black paint 2-3 coats.

i would send a few extra dollars and go to a automotive store and buy wheel paint. its made to stand up to higher temperatures. I would also buy a can of clear coat so the paint will last longer otherwise all money and work you did will be undone in a years time. after 30 days put some wax on it and wax every few months. regular car wax works, i like collnite 845.

Lastly i would take the wheels off and paint the inside of the wheel too. Its a bit more work, but you don't want the rust to keep working its way threw the steel making weak spots. Then take the car up to 80 mph and see if there is any wobble if there is then have the wheels realigned. so it should be sanded, rustolem/rust treatment, 2 coats of primer-sealer, 2-3 coats of black, and 2-4 coats of clear coat then wax every few months. its a full weekend with the drying times and all, but it will keep the wheels strong and will cost maybe 50bucks, cheaper than new rims.

Comment

Having the same issue with my 09 Sonata. Really considering alloy wheels though I plan on owning the car just a few more years. Also considering your plan as well. Keep us posted.
        Ray...
        Graphic Designer and detail semi-freak!

Comment

Not sure what a cheap set of new steel wheels would cost.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Not sure what a cheap set of new steel wheels would cost.
            They're not cheap anymore. $60-$80 each is the norm. Makes it worthwhile to spend some time with a wire brush, some sandpaper and a coating. Look into POR-15 coating. It resists heat more than regular paint and is designed to be applied over rust.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Raykreations View Post
              Having the same issue with my 09 Sonata. Really considering alloy wheels though I plan on owning the car just a few more years. Also considering your plan as well. Keep us posted.
              if its just a few years then why spend hundreds the money on alloys. get a can of flat or high gloss spray paint from your local hard ware store and put a few coats after sanding. when it comes time to selling the car sand it and paint it again if it looks horrible. its a 10 dollar job if that. be sure to mask up the wheel arches to prevent over spray.

Comment

Take a look at The Eastwood Company. They offer several very effective rust neutralization products and coatings. I have used their rust encapsulator and extreme chassis black on the step bars on my Ranger with excellent results.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
                  Look into POR-15 coating. It resists heat more than regular paint and is designed to be applied over rust.
                  +1
                  Kyla | 2006 Z71 Chevy Tahoe | 1986 Chevy Blazer dragster | 1951 Mercury coupe

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful input guys. This definitely sounds like a weekend job but the rust on his wheels is driving me plain nuts. Its all I see when I look at the car.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');