• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What products to use on older Porsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What products to use on older Porsche

I've got a white 1986 911 Turbo with original single stage paint (no clear coat).

Paint is in decent shape but hasn't been polished for a number of years and has some swirl marks and light scratching in areas, with a few small deeper scratches that will probably require a bit of wet sanding.

I have some experience and own a Flex polisher and assorted Lake Country pads, but not really quite sure what products to use.

In the past I've used the Pro line (Heavy-Cut Cleaner #4, Fine-Cut Cleaner #2 and Swirl Remover #9), but all the product is 2-4 years old now.

Lots of new Meguire products so I'm a little confused about what to use.

Would appreciate recommendations for a correct product path to use from paint correction up through wax/sealant.

Thank you

Re: What products to use on older Porsche

I would be looking at:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - #80 would be the product of choice with a polishing pad. If you needed something stronger, then Ultimate Compound could be an option.
    4. Polish - #80 has a lot of polishing oils, but if you want to add more, DC Polish or #7 are good options.
    5. Wax - This is personal preference, though Gold Class +, #26, or Ultimate Wax would be your best bets.
    6. Wax - 2 thin coats are best.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'm with Murr on all recommendations.

On single stage paints M80 Speed Glaze and M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish really perform well (M83 being more aggressive).

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations.

Would you suggest any prep such a clay before going to the polishing (I've never used clay before).

I might also give several of the panels a light block sanding, but I'm not sure about paint thickness.

I expect that if I sand, the clay wouldn't be necessary?

Comment

May I ask whether your Flex is the rotary polisher or the dual-action polisher. I presume that you have had good luck using your Flex to remove the wet-sanding marring and restore the gloss to the paint.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

It's the Flex 3401 dual-action polisher. I have had good luck using the polisher on othe cars including bringing the finish back on some panels that I wet sanded (1500 then 2000).

Just a little nervous using it on the Porsche especially since I don't own a paint gauge to check thickness.

I worked summers in an auto body shop as a kid so I'm comfortable with the process, just a bit out of practice as this was 20 years ago.

I've owned the flex polisher for 2 years and have done 3 cars with it, but they were all newer cars with clear coat.

Here's the car... it's in nice original condition, the paints just been a little neglected. It hasn't been properly machine polished in the 15 years I've owned it and hasn't even been waxed for almost 2 years.

Comment

Clay would be good.

Not sure about the need to wet-sand.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');