• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a machine I can use with one hand and can buff out 3000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a machine I can use with one hand and can buff out 3000

Hey guys

First post on this forum and I really need some help. I started making some custom painted parts and I have to sand and buff everything myself. I have a full size Dewalt but its just to big to use with one hand.

So I need a machine that can buff out at least 2000 or 3000 trizact scratches.

Please help

Thanks, ill post up some pics if you guys are interested in some of my projects.

Re: I need a machine I can use with one hand and can buff out 3000

Originally posted by naughty240 View Post
    Hey guys

First post on this forum and I really need some help. I started making some custom painted parts and I have to sand and buff everything myself. I have a full size Dewalt but its just to big to use with one hand.

So I need a machine that can buff out at least 2000 or 3000 trizact scratches.

Please help

Thanks, ill post up some pics if you guys are interested in some of my projects.
    Welcome to MOL

The G110v2 will remove 2000/3000 grit trizact scratches

Comment

I think any of the new DA machines like the G110V2, Griot'sV2, or PCXP will have the power to do what you'd like, provided you get some extras.

Working a rotary polisher with one hand is going to be challenging unless you're at very low rpms and working on a mostly flat surface. Controlling such a machine on a vertical panel with only one hand is going to be tiresome, and probably not very safe for the user or the finish.

If you are still looking into going one handed, then try some of the following products, I think they'll be beneficial to you.

One Grip:
      http://www.showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=154

Here's a video of the One Grip being demonstrated.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaMtFp-ercY

I own one myself, and it really works great. I love it because it gives my fingers a break. Not having to constantly grip the polisher helps to keep the fatigue down. It's a comfortable option, and it allows for one handed operation.

Also consider getting some Surbuf R Series Pads. They're a viable alternative for users attempting to remove sand scratches using a dual action polisher. I have very limited experience with these (about thirty minutes worth) but they did work to remove sand scratches on the sanded finish I tried them on.

Here is a link to a very informative thread Kevin Brown wrote regarding the Surbuf R Series Pads:
      http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=294

You can also choose to use cutting/ polishing pads instead of the Surfbuf Pads, but I'd probably choose to finish the sanding steps at a much higher grit than 2000. This will make it easier to remove them no matter what process you decide on.

Lastly, M105 Ultra Cut Compound, and M205 Ultra Finishing Polish are your best friends when removing sand scratches.

Now if you're still not sure about trading in your rotary for a DA to deal with sand scratches, then there is always the option of upgrading to a lighter, more compact rotary polisher like the Flex L3403. It's very light and a lot less bulky than a Dewalt 849. This polisher is awesome and very capable of removing sand scratches. Here is a link to that as well:
      htt//www.autogeek.net/flex-l3403vrg-rotary-polisher.html

I hope I'm not violating any rules with all these links, just trying to help the OP.
      Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Good luck. And welcome to MOL.
        Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

You could try this trick that Joe from Superior Shine uses for polishing small parts.

Polishing Small Parts
          Brian

Comment

Thanks guys for the replys.

I think ill defiantly pick up that "One Grip", it can only help. Looks fairly comfortable too.

I was reading about the M105 Compound last night, I was sold very quickly on it. I Use 3M Finesse now but that stuff blows it away. I think I will try an 8oz bottle of each for starters.

Now as far a machine I think I will try my luck with the DA. I really dont want to invest in the Flex right now. Ill have to see if I can figure out which 4" setup is the best.

Here are a couple things I need to wet sand and buff. A 4" pad I think is a must for what Im looking to buff. I could try the machine mounted on table method but it wont work on some items.

I shaved these battery cover doors and need to hold with one hand and use machine with other. After paint of course.

These jambs

Comment

If you have an air compressor you will simply not beat using a 3" rotary!!
              Kevin Brown
              NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Any way you can fabricate/make some fixtures to hold them in place so that you can use both hands? I see several holes you could use.
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                  If you have an air compressor you will simply not beat using a 3" rotary!!
                  I had thought about it but I hear they are air hogs. Dynabrade has a nice one but they are expensive.

DenLors Tools Plus LLC sells quality automotive specialty tools auto shop supplies and car service equipment. Free shipping $199. Automotive mechanic repair tips with how to info and more!

I see these Astro kits and they are cheap

I was hoping there would be an electric machine that you guys had a preference to.

Rasky yea I could mount it down but Im not always that lucky. These were just my latest projects. Ill try it out on these, thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');