• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing problems

I just bought a BLACK 1998 Volvo V70 T5. It is a one owner with very low miles but the paint has seen better days. It has some hail damage, swirls, scratches and bird dropping etchings. I will repaint this car next year. I have already wet sanded (1500 grit) away some stubborn pin stripes and polished the out with my Dewalt rotary and double side wool with #105. It come out great a little hazy but I am gonna polish it with my G110.

Today I clay bar the car and polished half my hood with #105, yellow pad, and G110. It looks much cleaner and shinier but removed very little defects. The polish was extremely hard to remove. I was working in the shade but the outside temperature was 55 to 60 degrees. The polish was so hard to remove I had to wipe it down with alcohol to get it all off. My biggest problem is that while polishing I uncovered several small white scratches. It almost looks like the paint is crackling but it feels smooth. Any tips before I finish the rest of this hood?

Here are some pictures of the hood. I polished the drivers side. Sorry about the quality it was dark when I took the pictures.

passenger side not polished
    "What's the first rule when entering a man's car?"

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you."
    Transporter 2

Re: Polishing problems

Okay,

If were looking to remove defects stick with the 105 and the rotary with the wool pad. If were moving on to do some polishing we should go with 205 which is a ultra polish and designed to folllow 105 (they are a great combo) So using the 105 (which is a cutting compound) isn't goping to be doing any polishing.

70 Degrees is the ideal temp, so you should be fine there.

The "polish" being hard to remove, is this when using the rotary or D/A?

The lines you uncovered is what i call checkering, and if memory serves me right that is the "lacquer" going bad, dont quote me on that though.

Is there any paint transfer to the pad?

Comment

I have #105, #205, #9 (2.0), #7 and NXT wax. I have used these products very successfully in the past, with both the G110 and rotary. For this hood I used #105, yellow pad, with my G110. The #105 is the D/A friendly version. The car is painted with the factory base coat / clear coat (urethane). There was no transfer of paint to my pad.

Mike Phillips from autogeek confirmed my fears. My clear coat is cracking. I'm afraid that there is not much I can do about this. It should only affect the hood (turbo under the hood) and maybe the roof. Unless someone knows of a secret to get the dried product out of these cracks in the clear I will have to bare with it until I paint the car this summer. I'll clean and polish the rest of the car so that it will half way decent.

Transporter 2

Comment

I saw something like this on another detailing site but can't remember which one off hand. Being that it is on the hood only, is it possibly heat related from a super hot engine or something? It looks like cracks from expansion of the paint somehow.
        2010 Camaro SS RS (black), "OBSSEST"

Comment

Since your cc is cracking, just get it the best you can, till you repaint. There is no other "fix".
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

For now I'll just clean, polish, and wax this car so it will have a half way decent look. This summer when the weather is warmer I'll repaint it. Fresh canvas !

LOL, I always try to look for the positive side of things.

Thanks

Transporter 2

Comment

its common with the 06-07 civics as well.. mine is black and i see the early stages of checkering... i have seen horrible ones as well. it is a defect more than anything, esp on cars that are only a few years old. hopefully honda will warrany my issue.. here is a link of some bad checkering on civics only a couple years old!

Comment

Damn crows feet....I've got a case on my Civic as well :-/

Comment

Originally posted by mattya802 View Post
                  Damn crows feet....I've got a case on my Civic as well :-/
                  bring it to your dealer/call honda. most cars on the link i posted have been warranted a repaint for the hood.fenders and whatever areas are affected

Comment

Yup, I've posted in that thread

Going by Honda 2moro and am going to mention it to them and if they don't want to cooperate (I think they will though) I'll be calling Honda of America.

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
                      its common with the 06-07 civics as well.. mine is black and i see the early stages of checkering... i have seen horrible ones as well. it is a defect more than anything, esp on cars that are only a few years old. hopefully honda will warrany my issue.. here is a link of some bad checkering on civics only a couple years old!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...hood-pics.html
                      My mom's Civic is cracking on the hood and it is an 03.
                      Tedrow's Detailing
                      845-642-1698
                      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I bet this happens a lot... probably with a lot other manufactures too, especially these days.. but yea, most people will not notice due to their cars beign silver or white, or they don't care, or they think it's an environmental thing (animals) that are causing the issue.....

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');