• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to remove the existing wax first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to remove the existing wax first?

I want to get a deeper reflection on a 2009 BMW. The paint is in great shape, no need to clay bar, unless I need to do that to get the wax off.

I have the Meguiar's DA and ultimate compound. If I use the UC will that take off the old wax (Zainos). Then what? I have the 205 polish and the 21 sealant.

Will that get me the depth I am looking for, or do I need to clay bar it to get the old wax off first.

Re: Do I need to remove the existing wax first?

No need to use Ultimate Compound if the car is in pretty good shape and its overkill to use it to remove old wax. If you have never clayed your car before then it probably could benefit from it.

If I were you I would wash the car really well, then lightly clay it with Meguiars clay and either Quik Detailer or Last Touch 1:1 for a lubricant, after that I would go over the car with M205 and your G110 to lightly clean the paint and remove all the old wax.

What wax you use is up to you. I would use either NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, M20 Polymer Sealant, or M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

UC will remove any wax on the car at the time you apply. After using UC, you should continue with the process and get a good coat of wax on for protection.

I only clay my car when after washing I can feel surface contaminants (roughness). My experience is claying once a year in spring suffices.

There are some great videos here describing the five step process; wash-clean-polish-wax-maintain.
      -Scott

Comment

UC will remove old wax, but claying will remove not only remove old wax, but surface bonded contaminants, as well. Unless you are certain you have no surface bonded contaminants, most on this forum would probably recommend claying before applying any type of cleaner/polish.

Once you have clayed, I'd follow Tuck's recommendation of M205 followed by NXT, M20(my favorite) or M21.

Do a small test area first to make sure you are getting the results you want.

Have fun.
        2013 Highlander - black
        2010 TL - black

Comment

Or to avoid wasting all that polish and time to remove the wax just use isypropyl alcohol and water at 50-50 dilution. It strips the paint of all oils and old waxes.

Comment

But the IPA wipedown won't do anything for taking swirls out.
            -Kyle

Comment

Well duh. The original question of the thread was "do i need to remove old wax first and whats the easiest way"? Plus the IPA wipedown helps you to see the swirls and scratches better anyway

Comment

If accidently diluted wrong, will the excess alcohol hurt the paint?
                2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                Black Obsidian

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch34 View Post
                  If accidently diluted wrong, will the excess alcohol hurt the paint?
                  No, because it's very difficult to find any IPA that is more then 70% already. So it's "pre-diluted". Some people add a little water, though.

Comment

Gotcha, that's good -- less to worry about!
                    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                    Black Obsidian

Comment

Never been cvlayed? I would definitely clay it, then go from there.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Re: do it right the first time

ha! OK BIG G HER TO HELP YOU STOP !!!!!! OK . THINK ABOUT. BMW HAVE SOME OF THE BEST PANT IN THE WORLD. CAR PANT THAT IS . PAINT CLEANER AND SHOW CARGLAZE 7# good luck. ps bmw rock

Comment

Wipe Down Methodology - Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution 1:1 with distilled water, if used undiluted it flash / dries (evaporates) rapidly, which lessens surface inspection time. Fill a fine misting spray bottle with a solution of 1:1 Isopropyl alcohol / distilled water, spray the paint surface, and agitate before wiping the paint surface with a clean, dry 100% cotton micro fibre towel( if it flashes too quickly (hot surface or environment) use further dilution)
                          ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');