• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturn paint. How soft is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturn paint. How soft is it?

Is anyone familiar with paint on the 04 Saturn Vue's? I was wondering how hard/soft it is. There have been a couple spots repainted on the passenger side from a kid hitting it with a bike but I believe the rest of it all original as I'm the second owner.

Thanks,
    Andy

Re: Saturn paint. How soft is it?

Comment

Hey andy

I wouldn't realy know unless I could try out some products first hand , but what I would do is start off with the least aggressive product and go easy and keep checking your surface to be sure if your doing anything.

What cleaning products do you have and how do you apply them, hand, orbital,pc,rotory

And remember that if you using a machine pad choice-speed-pressure-and arm speed all take in to consideration.

Also if you have a brinkman light or similar use it to when checking.

Hope I've help.
      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Least Aggressive Method First.
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

I agree with stang.

What kind of condition is the paint in? What color is it?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Saturn's paint is on the softer side. I have a silver '03 L200, never had a full on paint correction yet (warmer days are coming...slowly but surely), the paints looks great until night falls and it's sitting under a street light.
          If the paint is in bad shape, do a test spot using the least aggressive but definately have at least some UC on hand just in case!

I'm planning on detailing my Uncle's VUE up in Ephrata this spring, it's around the same year, blue in color, and in horrible shape! Let me know what works best for you when you get yours shined up!
          For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Hey Dan,

Right now I have 105/205 and 7 inch softbuff 2.0 pads (cutting, polishing and finishing) for my porter cable. I don't have many swirls but quite a few random scratches on the drivers side from the previous owner. I wouldn't say they are deep but scratch x by hand wouldn't take them out.

I was thinking of trying 205 with the polishing pad first and then step up to 105 with the cutting pad if needed.

Underdawg, I think your uncle's Vue is probably turbo same color as mine if it's electric blue. It's a beautiful color.

Thanks for the input all and if you can think of anything else let me know. I want to do this right the first time.

Andy

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's blue, and I'm Positive that the paint is in desperate need of a full detail! Both that and his Hyundai are going straight to 105/205 combo as they've never seen any kind of detail in their lifetime!
              I absolutely love the first gen VUEs. My wife favorite brand is Saturn and has effectively "stolen" my L200 from right under my feet!
              I am going to miss the brand.
              For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Comment

Hey Andy

If the 205 doesn't work with the polishing pad try a cutting pad with your 205 if you have any extra's

Or instead of going straight for the 105 try out the ultimate coumpound with a polishing pad or the cutting pad and if that works go down to a polishing pad with the ultimate compound or go with #80 or swirlX and last finish it up with 2 layers of your lsp of choice.

Anyway that's some of the things I liked playing around with instead of jumping straight to a more aggressive combo. I always tried to keep lots of extra pads and labeled with the products on them. Also if say the scratchX didn't work on my G100 with a polishing pad I would switch my pad over to my makita.

I'm always playing with different combos with the pads-products and machines. I may have went to the exstream when they say go with the least aggressive product, but you never know what you can do until you try!

Let us now you process and outcome with some pics.
                ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Dan,
                  I have two of each pad so I will definitely try out your idea. Also in the spring, I'm going to try to get a trunk lid from the junkyard to try out some wet sanding. Thank you very much for your input. The last thing I need to do is screw up the paint.

Underdawg,

I've always liked Saturn too. Especially the Redlines. The 04 to 07 models of the Vue actually use the drive train out of the Acura MDX. Weird huh?

Comment

Yeah it is kinda odd to find rival company parts in a production car!

Once this junk weather is done, my Saturn needs some serious TLC since it hasn't been detailed, let alone washed since September. It is dirtier then all get out and if any of the members here would see it....I'd loose all rep and be perma banned! The Focus isn't looking much better either!

Here's to a warm March or April!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');