• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ONR? and Winter Washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ONR? and Winter Washing

Its freezing in Michigan right now and my black HHR SS does not like automatic car washes as it always comes out with scratches and hours of work later. In reading through some other topics some people suggest ONR. What does ONR stand for and what is the best way to use it? Also if I take it to a coin operated do-it yourself wash to get the debris off, do you dry the entire car or just the doors and such to keep it from freezing. I have a 40 mile drive to work each day and my car picks up a lot of salt and dirt. I haven't washed it in awhile because I have been debating the best way to get it semi clean without getting all the scratches.

Re: ONR? and Winter Washing

ONR is an acronym for Optimum No Rinse, a rinseless car wash. The are differing opinions on how best to use, but generally, most use it in a one or two bucket w/grit-guard wash method. See this thread by Akimel:My ONR Process

In the winter, I typically use a DIY rinse cycle over the entire car to remove excessive dirt, salt, etc. Then I drive back to my garage and do an ONR wash.
    2013 Highlander - black
    2010 TL - black

Comment

I just ordered some ONR for the first time and will give it a shot soon. It's been so darned cold that I haven't been able to do a conventional wash.

There's something I'm going to try and I don't know how it will work, but I thought I'd pass along the idea. Since it will still be cold when I wash, I plan to use hot water in the buckets (a common suggestion), but also where a pair of large utility gloves over some other gloves like isotoners. Hopefully the isotoners will keep my hands warm while the utility gloves will keep it waterproof. It may be too bulky, but I'll give it a try.

...and lots of hot coffee.
      -Scott

Comment

I used ONR on my Mustang GT in my garage this afternoon. It was 27 degrees outside. ONR is incredible stuff. Your car will look almost like it has just been waxed when done.
        2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
        2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Originally posted by scottphys View Post
          I just ordered some ONR for the first time and will give it a shot soon. It's been so darned cold that I haven't been able to do a conventional wash.

There's something I'm going to try and I don't know how it will work, but I thought I'd pass along the idea. Since it will still be cold when I wash, I plan to use hot water in the buckets (a common suggestion), but also where a pair of large utility gloves over some other gloves like isotoners. Hopefully the isotoners will keep my hands warm while the utility gloves will keep it waterproof. It may be too bulky, but I'll give it a try.

...and lots of hot coffee.
          I use hot water and either dishwashing or nitrile gloves. I don't try for any insulation in the gloves, but just having your hands dry will make a big difference.
          Charles
          The Rainmaker

Comment

ONR is some awesome stuff. You will not regret buying and using ONR.

Comment

So far between my two vehicles, I've done about 6-8 ONR washes in the last month. What I really like is that I don't have to leave the house to do it. Living in an apt can make the detailing process more complicated than it would normally be, but I have found ONR to really help.

In addition to being a wash, changing the dilution ratio will make it a qucik detail spray, so that may help you deal with the road salt and grime on a daily basis. I have not yet tried it as a quick detailer because I have like 3 bottles of QD on hand.

Comment

You will quickly fall in love with onr. You will probably find that you will use it in the summer also.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I used it for the first time yesterday. It worked really well. Now if Meguiar's would just come out with a similiar but smells better product....

Comment

ou,

I am in Kalamazoo and ordered the ONR for use in the winter in my unheated garage. I washed both my wifes and my car over the weekend using the two bucket system. Went to coin op then drove home and waited for the ice formed on the drive home to melt in the garage. Followed the directions on the ONR bottle and used warm~hot water in the buckets. Both cars turned out great, probably spent less than 45 minutes each to wash and dry. Didn't wear gloves and hands never got cold. Once I was finished the water was still luke warm. The ONR is absolutely great and I will probably continue to use it in the summer as it is so easy to use.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your help. I am going to order some ONR. On the way home last night I stopped at an automatic car wash because the road salt was so bad on my car. This car wash was voted the best in Michigan, so I thought it might be worth a try. Any way they did an awful job. The front and back of the car never looked like it got washed. Also the brushes left many clear coat scratches on my front and rear bumper. It was way to cold last night to get out the spray detailer and scratch x to start correcting the problem areas but I definately learned my lesson. I'm looking forward to a tired arm and a date with my scratch x and UC in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by ouhockeyplayer View Post
                        Thank you everyone for your help. I am going to order some ONR. On the way home last night I stopped at an automatic car wash because the road salt was so bad on my car. This car wash was voted the best in Michigan, so I thought it might be worth a try. Any way they did an awful job. The front and back of the car never looked like it got washed. Also the brushes left many clear coat scratches on my front and rear bumper. It was way to cold last night to get out the spray detailer and scratch x to start correcting the problem areas but I definately learned my lesson. I'm looking forward to a tired arm and a date with my scratch x and UC in the near future.
                        Using a rinseless wash just might become habit forming.
                        FWIW, ONR is the one that gets the most press, but I have used three rinseless washes and all three performed quite well.
                        1. Optimum No Rinse
                        2. DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss
                        3. Protect All Quick & Easy Wash

The ONR and the RW&G are also touted as quick detailers and clay lube at the proper dilution ratios, but for me their value is as a rinseless wash.
                        For me, all three products do a good job of that.

And to rinse off the heavy accumulation of crud, try a touchless wash. They don't clean all that good, but they don't usually scratch your paint.
                        Charles
                        The Rainmaker

Comment

Does anyone know of a touchless was in the Detroit Metro Area? I have never seen one around.

Comment

Originally posted by ouhockeyplayer View Post
                            Does anyone know of a touchless was in the Detroit Metro Area? I have never seen one around.
                            Did you check the yellow pages?
                            Charles
                            The Rainmaker

Comment

Ultimate Quik Detailer for the win? That's what I use over the winter, that and Ultimate Quik Wax.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');