• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Black

Ok first of all I am a diehard Meguiars fan. I always buy their products first. However as compared to the Meguiars rubber & vinyl conditioner I thought the Mothers product may work better. Has anyone tried this and how does it compare? By the way I have a 2007 F150 and I am working on the plastic trim on this truck. Any help would be appreciated. Please no Mothers bashing, like I said Meguiars is always my first choice but I just wanted some of your opinions.

Thanks.

Re: Back to Black

Doubt you will see any "Mothers" bashing. Best part about the meguiars forums is that they promote products that work best. Can't say that I've worked with "back to Black" before but I do use Black Wow.

Despite what the label says, it doesn't last as long as they state. Its a difficult product to use since its so greasy and must be carefully applied. I apply black trim restores at the last step to really make the customer happy (more tip money!).

If you really want to restore black trim then invest in the dyeing products.
    Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Back to Black is a nice product, but it's too runny and messy and it doesn't seem to last very long. IMO, there are better products out there.
      Shane
      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by TxRado View Post
        Doubt you will see any "Mothers" bashing. Best part about the meguiars forums is that they promote products that work best. Can't say that I've worked with "back to Black" before but I do use Black Wow.

Despite what the label says, it doesn't last as long as they state. Its a difficult product to use since its so greasy and must be carefully applied. I apply black trim restores at the last step to really make the customer happy (more tip money!).

If you really want to restore black trim then invest in the dyeing products.
        Thank for the reply. My truck is an 07 so the trim is not in that bad of shape I am just trying to maintain it. I know should have already been on top of this but that's just the way it is. I think I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. It sounds like you suggest to do this last. Do I need to tape off the paint or if I'm careful can it be done without tape?

Thanks again.

srb1194

Comment

Originally posted by srb1194 View Post
          Thank for the reply. My truck is an 07 so the trim is not in that bad of shape I am just trying to maintain it. I know should have already been on top of this but that's just the way it is. I think I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. It sounds like you suggest to do this last. Do I need to tape off the paint or if I'm careful can it be done without tape?

Thanks again.

srb1194
          No matter how careful you are, somehow it will end up on the paint. I never bother applying tape to the paint for trim restoration but be sure to do a close inspection afterward to ensure no residue is left on the paint.

The best way to make sure none is left on the paint is to break the trim up into sections. Apply the black wow/back to black onto a 3' portion of trim, wipe the excess off with a dry towel, inspect and then move onto the next section.
          Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Back to Black is very similar in my experience to Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer in terms of how they work and apply. I use the Meguiar's product for obvious reasons

Comment

Ford trim takes pretty well to All Season Dressing , M40 or Gold Class Trim Detailer IMO.

Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I have tried M40 before and it was OK, still use it on the back of my mirrors. Bought some back to black to try specifically for the cowling between windshield and hood. Yes a bit runny but I personally like it. First use was roughly 2 months ago and I tend to wash the truck once every 7-10 days and I've only had to do spot touch ups. Can't find any Gold class trim detailer so I can't speak about it but hear great things about it. Hope this helps.
                Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by mcox View Post
                  I have tried M40 before and it was OK, still use it on the back of my mirrors. Bought some back to black to try specifically for the cowling between windshield and hood. Yes a bit runny but I personally like it. First use was roughly 2 months ago and I tend to wash the truck once every 7-10 days and I've only had to do spot touch ups. Can't find any Gold class trim detailer so I can't speak about it but hear great things about it. Hope this helps.
                  Michael,

Interested in swapping products for a day to see how they compare? I have black wow and have been wondering how it holds up compared to back to black.
                  Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by TxRado View Post
                    Michael,

Interested in swapping products for a day to see how they compare? I have black wow and have been wondering how it holds up compared to back to black.
                    Eric,

Sure! I don't mind at all.
                    Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Gold Glass Trim detailer is pretty awesome. I have a black car, and my trims looks better than brand new.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');