• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fresh paint woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fresh paint woes

so i painted up the plastics on my bike with 3 coats each of base coat clear coat enamel with ample curing time and wet sanded them progressively up to 2000 grit and i used this turtle wax polishing compound junk cus i had some that i tried with some other parts i painted with amazing results

but a few days later i think the compound absorbed alot of water or something cus it just drys hazy and dull on the last few panels i tried each panel getting hazier and duller i rinsed the panels and tried again and that helped a bit and then i tried the gas tank cover and that just came out flat dull with a oily feeling on all the panels,

so now i dont no if i should start with scratch x and move to a wax or start out with a cleaner wax or what to use, thanks for all your help

Re: fresh paint woes

Removing 2,000 grit sanding marks is something typically reserved for a machine (rotary) and often wool pads and heavy compounds.

However, working on small parts like those might be a little tricky. I would suggest picking up some M105 and several small foam pads. You may need several passes to remove the sanding marks.

After that, you could use a consumer product like ScratchX or SwirlX to finish it out, and then follow up with a wax once the paint passes the curing time (auto finishes are 30-90 days, not sure about the spray paint though).

Comment

Re: fresh paint woes

i thought about using a machine but all the curves and dips

plus the fact that im not that great with one and i dont have one really make using a rotary not seem worth it that pic is before the 3rd coat of clear so i know they all can be glossy

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');