• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a Starting point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KrytikalMedic
    replied
    Re: Need a Starting point

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the order,

Wash and dry
    Clay - Wipe off clay and quick detailer residue after you work a section before the residue dries. Do this and you won't need to re-wash the car.

Clean - Cleaning means removing defects, not washing the car. You usually use something like Ultimate Compound, ScratchX 2.0 or SwirlX for this step by hand or machine.

Polish - Optional. Most people working on a daily driver would skip this, if you're working on a dark colored car and want to do ever step possible to maximize the gloss and shine then you would apply a light cleaner/polish or a pure polish. See the below thread for more information on the difference between a cleaner/polish and a pure polish.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    (Posted in the The Information Station)

What's the difference between polish and wax?
    (Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle)

Be careful, pay attention, don't run your applicator pad into or over any black plastic trim or rubber. There's also blue painter's tape.

How to tape-off a car

Basically you use painters tape and whatever else you can find to cover over anything you don't want to get polish or wax splatter on. The Corvette below was put through a complete buff-out using a rotary buffer, thus the side pipes and event the tires and wheels were covered to prevent any splatter from the rotating pad on the rotary buffer from getting on these components.

During the process

Afterwards on display

How far you want to go with your car is up to you and how you plan on applying the products.

By hand you can avoid taping anything off as long as you slow down and work carefully.

Thanks for the info Mike. That helps A LOT!

Leave a comment:

• KrytikalMedic
    replied

Originally posted by akimel View Post
    No, you do not need to re-wash the vehicle after claying. Just remember to use plenty of lubricant.

Be careful.

Wipe it off immediately and you shouldn't have any problems. If it does stain, try one or more of the following: a quick detailer, M40, peanut butter or peanut oil, APC, 50/50 IPA solution--and there are other solutions out there I can't think of at the moment.
    Lol, be careful...nice. Thanks for the info

Leave a comment:

• Mike Phillips
    replied

Originally posted by KrytikalMedic View Post

So, just to clarify the clay bar should come after the wash...correct? Do I need to rewash the vehicle after the claybarring?
    Here's the order,

Wash and dry
    Clay - Wipe off clay and quick detailer residue after you work a section before the residue dries. Do this and you won't need to re-wash the car.

Clean - Cleaning means removing defects, not washing the car. You usually use something like Ultimate Compound, ScratchX 2.0 or SwirlX for this step by hand or machine.

Polish - Optional. Most people working on a daily driver would skip this, if you're working on a dark colored car and want to do ever step possible to maximize the gloss and shine then you would apply a light cleaner/polish or a pure polish. See the below thread for more information on the difference between a cleaner/polish and a pure polish.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    (Posted in the The Information Station)

What's the difference between polish and wax?
    (Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle)

Also, any good recommendations for keeping wax off of the black plastic trim on my vehicle? Or, what is the best way to remove it?
    Be careful, pay attention, don't run your applicator pad into or over any black plastic trim or rubber. There's also blue painter's tape.

How to tape-off a car

Basically you use painters tape and whatever else you can find to cover over anything you don't want to get polish or wax splatter on. The Corvette below was put through a complete buff-out using a rotary buffer, thus the side pipes and event the tires and wheels were covered to prevent any splatter from the rotating pad on the rotary buffer from getting on these components.

During the process

Afterwards on display

How far you want to go with your car is up to you and how you plan on applying the products.

By hand you can avoid taping anything off as long as you slow down and work carefully.

Leave a comment:

• akimel
    replied

So, just to clarify the clay bar should come after the wash...correct? Do I need to rewash the vehicle after the claybarring? (I think remember reading that somewhere)
    No, you do not need to re-wash the vehicle after claying. Just remember to use plenty of lubricant.

Also, any good recommendations for keeping wax off of the black plastic trim on my vehicle?
    Be careful.

Or, what is the best way to remove it?
    Wipe it off immediately and you shouldn't have any problems. If it does stain, try one or more of the following: a quick detailer, M40, peanut butter or peanut oil, APC, 50/50 IPA solution--and there are other solutions out there I can't think of at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• KrytikalMedic
    replied

Thanks all for helping me out with this. Like I said, when I realized how WRONG I was doing this (more aptly...how many steps I was missing) I quickly became intimidated.

So, just to clarify the clay bar should come after the wash...correct? Do I need to rewash the vehicle after the claybarring? (I think remember reading that somewhere) Also, any good recommendations for keeping wax off of the black plastic trim on my vehicle? Or, what is the best way to remove it?

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• akimel
    replied

+1 for the process outlined by Mat (Murr1525). This would be a great way for you to begin. See: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen.

Leave a comment:

• blackt00th
    replied

Hey all,
    Well I'm new to the forum and...pretty much new to detailing my vehicle. So, where do I start? I have been lurking throughout the forum and came across this thread http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2409 .

Then I just got myself more confused and overwhelmed (I know..sounds silly) But, I want to make my vehicle stand out and get that "WOW!" factor from people when they see it.

Ok, so I get washing first (duh!), then I get to the cleaning/surface prep and pretty much get lost. I imagine that this is where cleaner wax comes into play...correct? If so, do I then need to use a clay bar AFTER the cleaner wax? After that I need a polish...right? (this is where I primarily get confused as I thought the Gold Class would take care of the polish as well).

Basically, I am a rookie at all of this. I will be the first to admit that for years I figured throwing wax on the beast twice a year was sufficient. I have used Gold Class for years now and love it. I also purchased Mequiar's cleaner wax this year and loved the results. Sorry for the long post, but can someone help me out with putting products and sequence together for me? Thanks guys!

just to chip in. You are not wrong to mention that Goldclass polish as well.
    According to the instructions, you can wax after you have clean/prep the surface.

Leave a comment:

• Murr1525
    replied

Keep it simple at first, and give your car a good detail. What will usually happen is that once you get it all cleaned up good, you will get a better idea of what to work on, what defects need fixed, etc.

Here is what I would do with my favorite products:

1. Wash - 2 buckets, good soap like Gold Class or Nxt, quality sponges/towels.
    2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    3. ColorX
    4. Wax - Nxt 2.0

Now, the Cleaner/Wax you have will be a little milder than the ColorX, but you could use it instead since you have it, and will probably do a more intensive detailing soon.

And your Gold Class wax would be fine instead of Nxt 2.0. Just use which wax you like.

And like I said, once the car is clean and shiny, and you have it in the sun, etc, you will see more of the swirls/scratches that may need fixed/improved. That is what will finally get you the wow factor.
    Last edited by Murr1525; May 26, 2009, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KrytikalMedic
    started a topic Need a Starting point

Need a Starting point

Hey all,
    Well I'm new to the forum and...pretty much new to detailing my vehicle. So, where do I start? I have been lurking throughout the forum and came across this thread http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2409 .

Then I just got myself more confused and overwhelmed (I know..sounds silly) But, I want to make my vehicle stand out and get that "WOW!" factor from people when they see it.

Ok, so I get washing first (duh!), then I get to the cleaning/surface prep and pretty much get lost. I imagine that this is where cleaner wax comes into play...correct? If so, do I then need to use a clay bar AFTER the cleaner wax? After that I need a polish...right? (this is where I primarily get confused as I thought the Gold Class would take care of the polish as well).

Basically, I am a rookie at all of this. I will be the first to admit that for years I figured throwing wax on the beast twice a year was sufficient. I have used Gold Class for years now and love it. I also purchased Mequiar's cleaner wax this year and loved the results. Sorry for the long post, but can someone help me out with putting products and sequence together for me? Thanks guys!
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');