• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX - problem removing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX - problem removing!

Hi all,

Just bought a tube of Scratch X, tried it on my Black Honda (6 months old, lots of swirl marks).

It seems if I follow the label's instructions, and let it dry before wiping off – It's almost IMPOSSIBLE to wipe off!

I've tried using a clean micro-fibre cloth, a cotton terry cloth – nothing works.

Putting a few drops of water helps takes it off, but what I've found is that it's much easier to take off if I DON'T wait for it to dry. Meaning, after working the product in thoroughly, I immediate buff it off with another clean microfibre cloth.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does scratchX interact strangely my clearcoat for some reason?

In any case, like Mike's excellent tutorial on ScratchX – be warned – the product works well, but requires a lot of work!

how heavy are you applying it?
    "less is more"
    A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. --- Groucho Marx

Comment

The application technique that works for me is to apply a small amount on a terry applicator and rub the scratch perpendicular to the scratch. Rub vigorously until the abrasives break down. Repeat if necessary until the scratch is gone.

I remove residue with a 100% cotton towel.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Hey HondaCity and Welcome to Meguiar's Online!!!

The only time I have had trouble in removing ScratchX was when I did not work it in enough. It really needs to be worked REALLY well! Then wipe off with a MF towel. If some areas are still tough, a quick spray with #34 Final Inspection should remove it.

Here is a How-To on ScratchX by Mike Phillips:

I hope this helps!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

thanks for the replies and the welcome!

I've tried to apply it from really thin, to pretty heavy – wipe off problems are the same.

The residue basically behaves like a stain - I can barely feel it with my hand, but it doesn't respond at all to wiping off.

It may be a problem of not working it in enough (as 2hotford mentioned).

I'll try this:
          1) 1 dab of scratchX unto microfibre cloth
          2) Work it into a 5x5 inch area
          3) Work it till the residue starts disappearing (don't stop till most of the noticeable residue is gone)
          4) Wait 10minutes, wipe off

Does this sound like it will work?

Also, I finish it off with Meguiars Cleaner Wax (since the paint is new and in good condition, save for swirl marks). I've noticed that the cleaner wax helps clean off any stubborn bits of ScratchX I've missed.

My basic routine (new) I'm trying out is this:
          1) Wash with NXT car wash
          2) ScratchX (if necessary after visual inspection)
          3) Meguiars Cleaner Wax (once every 6 washes)

Is this good?

Sorry for the questions, I'm a new Meguiar user, after years of cheapo wax and polish products for all my previous cars. I want to do this right for my new, sexy, black honda.

Comment

UPDATE:

As tim suggested, working it in long enough solved the problem! Residue wipes off easily enough, thanks tim!

The label instructions should better emphasis the need to really work it in.

The results are worth it though!

Comment

Hey,

That is great news!!!

Post some pics when complete!!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');