• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

detailing small areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• detailing small areas

the hard areas to clean and polish, alot of the cars these day have alot of curves and indentations, do them buy hand? or can you use a polisher, since it says to stay off high areas with the polisher, I would assume to do them buy hand.

Re: detailing small areas

It al depends in how much you trust your skills with the machine, and also how hard is the area to work. for example, if you detail small areas like the painted parts between the headlights or tail lights, then it could become pretty hard to do it by machine, and yeah, it would be better (and safer IMO) by hand.

I don't know if you have heard bout the powerball system form mothers. maybe that would be an alternative for small areas.

BTW when you buff sharp areas or curves, just be sure to do it carefully or else you might get a paint burn when using a rotary.

Hope this helps
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

I was going to ask the same question. My front bumper has some spots on it and I need to use #80 on it. Will it still break down if I use it by hand? How long do I need to go at it?
      Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

yup, it will. as far as I remember, the only meguiars products that will break down by rotary buffer are the paint cleaners and compounds (fine/med/heavy cut cleaner and both compound cleaners), so there shouldn't be any problem at all

and about the spots, you'll have to keep on going until you remove the defect, unless you see that the defect is too deep to remove it safely.

what kind of spots do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Chex View Post
          yup, it will. as far as I remember, the only meguiars products that will break down by rotary buffer are the paint cleaners and compounds (fine/med/heavy cut cleaner and both compound cleaners), so there shouldn't be any problem at all

and about the spots, you'll have to keep on going until you remove the defect, unless you see that the defect is too deep to remove it safely.

what kind of spots do you have?
          Water spots. Theyve been there about a year now. Ive never really tried to remove them. When detailing it, I went over them with DC1, DC2, #7, DC3, NXT wax, GC wax, and #26. Those are not in order, just stuffed Ive used over the year. I cannot fell them with my fingers, but they are there. The bumper is painted plastic too, Idk if that has anything to do with it.
          Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

check out this link

I found it way good, and it explains very clearly how to deal with this particular problem.

after reading the post, I'd suggest you if scratchX doesn't do the job, to use M83 (dual action cleaner polish) to try to remove it. however, I think scratchX will do the job if the spots are not that deep.

If you feel a little unconfident with M83, keep on with scratchX until the spots are removed or barely visible

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');