• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me please, pads tearing around the velcro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please, pads tearing around the velcro

Hi, I damaged my first pad,
    below are two pictures which show the damage.

Facts on the pad :

-This pad was only used on two cars.

-Used with ColorX at speed 5.

-The circumference of the backing plate is smaller than the velcro by about half an inch.

-Pressure was put on the DA which caused the pad to 'mushroom'

-Pad has been hand-washed with Dawn twice in warm water.

-The tear is more severe on one half than the other.

*This also happened on my W-9006 finishing pad which has also been used twice to apply NXT liquid wax at speed 3.*

Any inputs/comments would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Help me please, pads tearing around the velcro

Sounds like you must be doing something wrong in your technique as we use hundreds of these pads each month at our Saturday classes and with other projects and we don't see this kind of damage.

Chances are you're either applying too much pressure or both applying too much pressure and holding the polisher at an angle.

Actually as long as you stop what it is that is causing this problem you should be able to continue using the pad without any more problems. Of course you understand Meguiar's doesn't recommend washing our pads so you are on your own on this one.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The problem is the washing, it makes the pads "oblong" as opposed to perfectly round. Once they are out of round, the BP digs into the soft foam and you get the "cookie cutter" effect. If you wash Meguiars pads and use them on the PC, this is the result.

The official Meguiars response to me--do not wash pads.

I wish that Meguiars would just add about .5" of velcro to the contact area, this would eliminate this problem.

I have sense switched to S.M. Arnold pads because they have a larger contact patch, perform the same, and have the ability to be machine washed without negative effects.

I still use the Meguiars pads for the rotary as they have the centering "button" and the rotary isn't as rough on them.

Comment

Here's another thread about the same problem. Washing the pads with Dawn changes the compression strength of the foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Sounds like you must be doing something wrong in your technique as we use hundreds of these pads each month at our Saturday classes and with other projects and we don't see this kind of damage.

Chances are you're either applying too much pressure or both applying too much pressure and holding the polisher at an angle.

Actually as long as you stop what it is that is causing this problem you should be able to continue using the pad without any more problems. Of course you understand Meguiar's doesn't recommend washing our pads so you are on your own on this one.
          Thanks Mike, I think I applied too much pressure and also holding it at an angle as well, for those hard to reach areas. I'll have to improve my technique,
          Thanks again

Originally posted by ebpcivicsi
          The problem is the washing, it makes the pads "oblong" as opposed to perfectly round. Once they are out of round, the BP digs into the soft foam and you get the "cookie cutter" effect. If you wash Meguiars pads and use them on the PC, this is the result.

The official Meguiars response to me--do not wash pads.

I wish that Meguiars would just add about .5" of velcro to the contact area, this would eliminate this problem.

I have sense switched to S.M. Arnold pads because they have a larger contact patch, perform the same, and have the ability to be machine washed without negative effects.

I still use the Meguiars pads for the rotary as they have the centering "button" and the rotary isn't as rough on them.
          I clean my pads down with a microfiber towel during the process, but will still get too gummy for the next use. How do you manage by not washing them?..

Originally posted by SVT lightning
          Here's another thread about the same problem. Washing the pads with Dawn changes the compression strength of the foam.

I can't seem to get to the page directed by the link you provided? .
          If the pads are washed with detergent instead of dishsoap, will it still change it's compression strength? Or any thing used to wash it will change it's compression strength?

Thanks again guys,

regards

Kenneth

Comment

Originally posted by ebpcivicsi View Post

That would be heaven.... as well as filling the center hole too. Makes sense to me, for more reasons then for use with the smaller BP.

Ive tried to remedy the problem but have decided to go with a competitors pad/kit instead.
            ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
            561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
            --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
            --

Comment

[QUOTE=

I can't seem to get to the page directed by the link you provided? .
              If the pads are washed with detergent instead of dishsoap, will it still change it's compression strength? Or any thing used to wash it will change it's compression strength?

Thanks again guys,

regards

Kenneth[/QUOTE]

Here is the info from a post by Jason Rose....Marketing Manager, Mequiars.

"I have some helpful input on this topic...

First, one of the reasons washing foam pads with detergents is not a good idea is due to the fact that some cleaning chemicals can change what is called "compression strengh." In simple terms, this means the bounce-back or resistance of the foam to compression. After washing, with altered compression strengh, the foam pad may not perform as it should.

Second, the best pad maintenance program is this...
              - Use dedicated pads for each product
              - Don't use too much product. Common mistake. We all use way too much product. A build up on a pad is counter-productive, and simply more to clean off later.
              - To clean after use, place the pad face down on a microfiber towel. Roll up the towel really tight, kind of like your wringing out a chamois. The compression will squeeze out excess product and the microfiber towel will soak it out. (wash the mf towel)
              - Place the foam pad in a clean dry cabinet or box FACE DOWN. Air tight is not neccassary, but free from airborn particulate is important. Plastic bags are good for the mobile detailer folks...not sealed. Need to allow any chemicals to out-gas off the pad. But again, in a box with a lid. Not an open crate.

Hope this information helps...

Jason "Waxman" Rose
              Field Marketing Manager: Professional
              Meguiar's, Inc."
              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by 35th Anniversary SS View Post
                That would be heaven.... as well as filling the center hole too. Makes sense to me, for more reasons then for use with the smaller BP.

Ive tried to remedy the problem but have decided to go with a competitors pad/kit instead.
                See I would prefer that they just extend the velcro AND leave the hole for centering purposes(then I could use them for PC and rotary). Why does the hole hinder your process?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbonezken View Post
                  I clean my pads down with a microfiber towel during the process, but will still get too gummy for the next use. How do you manage by not washing them?..
                  I don't--I just wash them, then only use them on the rotary. For PC use I use SM Arnold pads. Honestly, if I could get the SM Arnold pads to center on the rotary I would use their line of pads exclusively--the construction is *much* better. Using one pad for each product just isn't feasible for me.

Comment

I've washed my pads (8006 & 9006) at least weekly (if not more, depending upon the amount of cars) and I don't think the cutting is the problem.

Mike seemed to have the right answer as I've done this to a few pads myself. Too much pressure + getting the pad at an angle caused my problems.

For pad washing: I'm now using Pinnacle Pad Cleaner which is a wonderful product...just spritz it on the pad and rinse.

For pad drying: I used an old bath towel (make sure it's old or your wife will definitely have a word with you), and fold it so 2 pads fit and are covered. Then, I step on the towel a few times and re-fold the towel to a dry spot. Following this, I let the pads air dry.

Hope that helps if you are going to wash the pads.

Totoland Mach
                    Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning View Post
                      Here is the info from a post by Jason Rose....Marketing Manager, Mequiars.

"I have some helpful input on this topic...

First, one of the reasons washing foam pads with detergents is not a good idea is due to the fact that some cleaning chemicals can change what is called "compression strengh." In simple terms, this means the bounce-back or resistance of the foam to compression. After washing, with altered compression strengh, the foam pad may not perform as it should.

Second, the best pad maintenance program is this...
                      - Use dedicated pads for each product
                      - Don't use too much product. Common mistake. We all use way too much product. A build up on a pad is counter-productive, and simply more to clean off later.
                      - To clean after use, place the pad face down on a microfiber towel. Roll up the towel really tight, kind of like your wringing out a chamois. The compression will squeeze out excess product and the microfiber towel will soak it out. (wash the mf towel)
                      - Place the foam pad in a clean dry cabinet or box FACE DOWN. Air tight is not neccassary, but free from airborn particulate is important. Plastic bags are good for the mobile detailer folks...not sealed. Need to allow any chemicals to out-gas off the pad. But again, in a box with a lid. Not an open crate.

Hope this information helps...

Jason "Waxman" Rose
                      Field Marketing Manager: Professional
                      Meguiar's, Inc."
                      Thanks for pasting the post here SVT lightning, I get it now.
                      But the tearing would be less likely associated with the change in compression strength IMO, my technique is way off.

How many cars did you guys take to get the hang of the DA?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');