• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Seat to Steam Clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Seat to Steam Clean

I usually remove the front seats in a vehicle when i do an interior detail. However, I have a friend who installs DVD players and Screens, sunroofs and anything else imaginabe and he warned that some cars program chip will need reprogrammed if these seats are removed. Does anyone know this to be a fact ?`

He now has me worried that I could cause damage to the vehicle electronics.
    Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime!

And of some have compassion, making a difference
    Jude 22

I have a Chevy Cobalt and I think there is a sensor in the passenger seat. Because when the passenger get's in and sit's down and doesn't buckle there seat belt the passenger seatbelt sign make's a dinging noise till they buckle there seatbelt.

Comment

Unscrew the seat tilt backwards and unclip the seat belt sensor and power seat clip and removed. Put a sheet around the door to prevent scratches while removing.

If you have a jump box plug it in the light plug so you wont lose power to the vehicle radio.
      Whats my color? Color X

Comment

It is possible, at least with some BMW's.
        Certain vehicles Safety Restraint Systems have what is refered to as Life Time Monitors (not as in LIFE TIME as in a warranty forever but as in its life TIME meaning how long its been in the vehicle, its basically a timer)
        This is because most manufactures reccomend certain SRS components be replaced every 10 years.

So its possible depending on the vehicle that if you remove the seat you could possibly set some faults and illuminate a light that would then have to be cleared by the local dealership.

Now with that said, most of the time you will be ok as long as you don't have the key on or in the ignition and you don't turn the key on with seat out.

VERY IMPORTANT!! If your car has side impact airbags or any type of airbag that is located in the seat, it is HIGHLY reccomended you disconnect the negative battery terminal and secure it so it cannot make contact with the battery post again and leave it disconnected for at least 15minutes before you remove the seat/airbag (leave the battery disconnected the entire time its out/your working) once your done reinstall the seat, reconnect seat connections then reinstall battery terminal.
        Depending on the vehicle you may loose some customer presets meaning radio stations etc...
        DO NOT use a battery tender or supplemental power source to keep your radio presets with the battery disconnected, as even the ones that plug into a cigar lighter and use a 9V battery could still set off an airbag, the system must be dead.

Just write down the presets before hand if its a customer car, and program them back in, + the time and date if vehicle is equipped, also good idea to let customer know so they don't later find something not in there they had set and get mad.

Comment

My 2004 Jeep Liberty has sensors in both seats for the airbags. It will not deploy the air bags if no one is sitting, or the person sitting in the seat does not weigh enough to need the air bags. I also have 6 way power seats and heated seats so that would be way to many things to unplug.

Maybe he was talking about the air bag sensors?
          Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');