• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass Polishing... deep cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Polishing... deep cleaning

Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning

Dont try this if you are not confident about your skills ... my car windows have acid rain i cant get rid of it... i try white vinegar, kerosene, windex, cigar ashes with no result... so after getting nutz (some may say what i do is crazy) i decide to go hard with this.

I use W-8000 yellow foam pad with Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner on a rotary buffer at medium low speed and it works well. But I was curious so i try something with more bite and use Compound Power Cleaner and it works magic.
    Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Next time you can try some M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner by hand with a piece of terry cloth or by machine with a W=7006 foam cutting pad.

M0416 Heavy Cut Cleaner

It will work so much better than either of the two product you tried because of the type of diminishing abrasive this product uses. Next time you're around a bottle of #4 Heavy Cut Cleaner, shake up the bottle and pour a little into your fingers and then rub your fingers back and forth. You will easily feel the diminishing abrasives, (if you continue to rub your fingers together your will feel the diminishing abrasives breakdown and disappear).

Now, feel any of the products in the 80's series, such as the #84 Compound Power Cleaner in the same way and it will feel like you're rubbing a soft, smooth hand lotion between your fingers.

The difference is the 80's series uses microscopic diminishing abrasives while the traditional Mirror Glaze products use for lack of a better term, macroscopic diminishing abrasives.

It is this larger size diminishing abrasive particle that cuts, or slices through the film that has built up on the surface of your glass and polishes it off.

Liquid glass cleaners don't offer this polishing effect. When ever I detail a customers car, I'll almost always machine polish their glass with this system so that the glass is a glossy and shiny as the paint. When you do this and you've detailed the car correctly, the finished look jumps out at you! because everything on the car is gleaming.

In Oregon and Washington, I ran into a lot of people with horrendous water spots on their glass, as such, I have a lot of experience polishing glass.

If you have a marine store nearby you can also use Mirror Glaze Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i haven't try it yet, but i will

thanks Mike
      Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Comment

Are there products that you'd recommend for cleaning glass without the use of a rotary? Perhaps something that can be applied with a DA or by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by kty10
          Are there products that you'd recommend for cleaning glass without the use of a rotary? Perhaps something that can be applied with a DA or by hand?
          I use a terry cloth first and need a lot of elbow grease to make it work, but If you can use a terry cloth there is no doubt it will work with a DA.

Lets follow Mike's suggestion and use a cleaner or compound that uses Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasives technology.
          Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Comment

Originally posted by kty10
            What works best for removing any kind of water deposits or gunk that has built-up on the outside of your cars glass is a rotary buffer with either a foam cutting pad or a wool cutting pad. That's only because the machine takes all the work out of it.

If you don't have a rotary buffer then the next best approach is to use a piece of terry cloth by hand with some enthusiasm. The nap, (the little cotton loops), act as a gentle form of an abrasive together with the diminishing abrasives to help you cut through the layer of gunk and expose the glass surface.

The oscillating action of the dual action polisher with a foam pad doesn't work. That's because the dual action polisher is typically to gentle to be effective, that is, you can probably be more effective and work faster by hand than with the dual action polisher for this procedure.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, will #4 with rotary buffer cuts the glass and remove scratches? Will it also mar the glass surface?
              zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

I borrowed a single speed rotary several years back and used a compound (type forgotten) with a wool pad on the windshield of an '86 Toyota pickup that I had at the time. This was back before I even had a clue about using a Variable Speed buffer and didn't even know the PC existed (all I had was a GEM orbital).

My clueless use of the rotary left some obvious holograms on the glass, BUT, some of the marks I was trying to get rid of were gone.

I have a feeling that the Toyota glass was a bit 'softer' than usual, so it swirled with my bad technique. If I'd have known what I was doing, I bet I could have improved it even more.

I plan on doing something similar to the wife's Jeep. I've been driving it to work since the accident, and even Rain-X isn't effective (we've had some HEAVY rains & snows and I can't see a thing while I'm driving). I was going to use some #83 & the PC, but now I'm thinking about going to the body shop that has my Cavalier & borrowing a VS rotary.
                Don
                12/27/2015
                "Darth Camaro"
                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

I assume that M85 would work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    In Oregon and Washington, I ran into a lot of people with horrendous water spots on their glass, as such, I have a lot of experience polishing glass.Mike
                    Mike, any suggestions for a product to apply after polishing to help maintain the surface? I searched and found a post asking this question where Lynn replied that Meguiar's doesn't make that kind of product and recommended RainX. I was wondering if any of the paint protection products (NXT, etc) would be worthwhile on sunroofs, side, and rear windows. In the old days I always used to wax my windows, but somewhere along the way I stopped doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by zey
                      Mike, will #4 with rotary buffer cuts the glass and remove scratches? Will it also mar the glass surface?
                      Allow me to correct you, M04 with a rotary buffer doesn' not cut the glass, it is only for removing the gunk that has built up on the glass, therefor it shouldn't mar the glass. This entire thread is about removing contaminants on the surface, that is water deposits and other contaminants that have built up as a layer of gunk on top of the glass. This is not about removing scratches in the glass. For this you need special products that can be purchased at the Eastwood company.

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Carrera
                        I assume that M85 would work as well.
                        No this product won't work to remove gunk that has built-up on the surface of window glass because it uses a microscopic diminishing abrasive, what works is the larger diminishing abrasive found in the M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner. If possible, shake up a bottle of both of these products and then pour some of each out and feel them between your fingers, you will notice right away the difference in they type of diminishing abrasive each uses.

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

...If you don't have a rotary buffer then the next best approach is to use a piece of terry cloth by hand with some enthusiasm. The nap, (the little cotton loops), act as a gentle form of an abrasive together with the diminishing abrasives to help you cut through the layer of gunk and expose the glass surface....
                          Mike
                          I just tried this last weekend, using #4 (by hand). Works very well! I use to use RainX's Glass Care 2000, (it was a glass polish) but they have quit making it. This is my replacement. It works very well with a little elbo grease. It seemed to take a lot of product but it does the job!

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

would any other product work as well? how about scratch x?

Comment

I was told by a Glass Company to try a little CLR to eliminate spots on glass, I was also told, do not polish with a electric polisher and anything with a cutting action in the product as this could result in optics change of glass. I know CLR works well on Shower Doors in my hard water area, have not tried on car yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');