• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'

The Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'

I have one DA in our shop that is a few years old. It was supplied with a 6" counterweight to replace the standard 5".

The theory being that the 6" lessens vibration when using 6" pads.

So I just acquired a second, with supplied 5" counter weight.

No perceptible difference. None Zilch, Nada.

End of 'controversy', at least in my shop.

Jim
    If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Hey Jim,

That is exactly the result I have concluded as well. Then again, I always use Meguiar's pads. I have no idea if other pads may make a difference or not.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Sure hear lots about it and glad someone was able to use both machines side by side.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'

Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit
        I have one DA in our shop that is a few years old. It was supplied with a 6" counterweight to replace the standard 5".

The theory being that the 6" lessens vibration when using 6" pads.

So I just acquired a second, with supplied 5" counter weight.

No perceptible difference. None Zilch, Nada.

End of 'controversy', at least in my shop.

Jim
        Hi Jim,

Wow! thanks for doing this test and posting your results! I've been meaning to order the counterweight for 6" backing plates and doing this same test. I've read for years how some people claim the heavier weight makes a big difference and even recommend it to others, but I had a hunch that any difference would be negligible (or non-existent).

Thanks for taking the time in your shop to do a fair comparison test and sharing your result on Meguiar's Online!

Mike

p.s.

I'm going to make this a sticky.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

BTW, yes, it is a Lamborgini Diablo...

Jim

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

I don't know if you guys remember Cujo31(something like that), he used to work with Superior Shine. Anyways, to make a long story short, his porter cable had a 5" counterweight, and amine has a 6" counterweight, at speeds of 5 and below, there really wasn't much difference, but at speeds of 5.5-6, using his porter cable made my hands hurt. I don't use the porter cable at speed 6 anymore as I have melted 2 backing plates, and seperated 3 pads before I realized what the problem was, but this heavily increased vibration at speeds higher than 5 may be what some people refer to when they say you should use 6" counterweight with the 6" or larger 6" pads.
            I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus
              I don't use the porter cable at speed 6 anymore as I have melted 2 backing plates, and seperated 3 pads before I realized what the problem was, but this heavily increased vibration at speeds higher than 5 may be what some people refer to when they say you should use 6" counterweight with the 6" or larger 6" pads.
              You had backing plates melt and had pads seperate at speeds above 5 and here I thought I was all alone.

Jim,
              Thanks for the info. Do you use both PC at the same time?

Eric
              Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Do you use both PC at the same time
                Well, not me, but we frequently work on more than one car at a time...

Jim

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Originally posted by Teak
                  You had backing plates melt and had pads seperate at speeds above 5 and here I thought I was all alone.

Jim,
                  Thanks for the info. Do you use both PC at the same time?

Eric
                  I found that I get better results at speed 5 if I use a little more pressure(about 5-7 pounds depending), and move the PC slower than if I used to PC at 6. Not to mention I haven't had the need for a new backing plate since I started changing my habbits as with everything, ymmv.
                  I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Counterweights

The counterweights really only matter when you are using the PC as a sander. Then the vibration really shows up especially on low grit 100 or rougher papers.
                    Dean and Rena
                    SoCal New Beetle Club
                    '00 Cybergreen GLS "Nessie"
                    '03 Blue Lagoon Color Concept 1.8t "Blue Thunder"
                    Webmaster Http://www.socalnbc.org

Comment

I have the 5" counterweight and run the PC wide open when using DACP. However I do like the suggestion by gbackus to run it at 5.0 and apply more pressure. There is a considerable amount of vibration at 6.0 but you get used to it. I have not had problems with any pads or backing plates melting but I probably don't use my PC as often as you pro detailers do. I only do my car and those of family members sometimes.

Jimmy Buffit, what did you use on that Diablo? It looks awesome!

RamAirV1
                      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus
                        I found that I get better results at speed 5 if I use a little more pressure(about 5-7 pounds depending), and move the PC slower than if I used to PC at 6. Not to mention I haven't had the need for a new backing plate since I started changing my habbits as with everything, ymmv.
                        I've tried that but noticed that rotation is lost at anything below 6 with a little pressure. This may be okay for the application of your final coat but when doing some cleaning/light swirl removal it loses effectiveness.

Comment

bump
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

then why do they market both? just out of curiosity...
                            it would seem to me, there is a reason they have 2 different weights. why would the company spend the money to tool 2 settings and produce 2 weights when they make little difference?

(i'm not arguing, just wondering, i dont have any first hand experience either way)
                            Dave
                            Constantly In Pursuit

Comment

well ones supposed to be a sander and the other is actually a polisher but there basicly the same
                              Patrick Yu
                              2003 Honda Accord
                              2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');