• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Car Wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Car Wash

Hello all,

Have any of you ever seen a steam car wash system? I just saw one yesterday and I have to say, it's pretty cool. I currently use a little steamer to clean interior but who would've ever thought some one would make one for exterior? When I first heard of it, I said no way because it would be too dry but that's not the case. I saw this guys do a black Caddy STS and it really works, no scratches. Man, I'm getting all kinds of ideas on how to use this. Plus, I won't need to deal with my reclaiming system because there's no runoff or chemical. Here's the website they gave me 7carwash.com it's an overseas company but they do have dealers in the U.S.

Please give me your thoughts.
    Last edited by Markus Kleis; Sep 30, 2009, 08:06 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Steam is badbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbad for the paint. You are thermally stressing the paint(which is really just a form of plastic). Just think about all the damage done to yuor paint from the heat by the sun when it's unprotected; now you are concentrating high heat on the paint and not only wearing down whatever protectant is on the paint, you are wearing down the lifespan of the paint. Theraml stressing of the paint is bad.
    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Very interesting... I see the idea behind it.

Watching the video it looks a little questionalble... the guy is "washing" the hood with a rag and seems would be smearing the dirt all around not really removing it.

I can see some uses but not sure may vehicles paint is one of them.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

concentrating high heat on the paint

Originally posted by gbackus
        Steam is badbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbad for the paint. You are thermally stressing the paint(which is really just a form of plastic). Just think about all the damage done to yuor paint from the heat by the sun when it's unprotected; now you are concentrating high heat on the paint and not only wearing down whatever protectant is on the paint, you are wearing down the lifespan of the paint. Theraml stressing of the paint is bad.
        I do see the concern, however, at what temperture is it dangerous for your car? True that thermal stress is bad for plastic but what's the threshold in temperture that will stress paint, or rather clear coat. When I felt the surface of the car being clean, it was just a little warm. The washer pointed out that if he points in one area at close range for a long time (30 plus seconds), it will loosen the wax but still will not damage the car's finish. But the longest he concentrated on one area about about 4 seconds (bird dropping). This is very interested...

Comment

I have some mixed opinions and I am by no means an expert. I have seen machines like this used to prep a car before the application of those sticker graphics people put on there car. In general I don't see this as being a good thing. The concept of using steam and a rag to remove dirt seems like a nice way to instill excessive swirling in the finish. On a concentrated thing like a caked on bird dropping, I could see using it if it helped to weaken its grip on the paint. All in all though, I can't see cost equaling is value to a detailer.

Comment

Re: Steam Car Wash

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I was recently visiting Texas and I also saw a car wash that uses steam to clean the car. I asked them if it was safe for the car paint and they say yes. Apparently the temperature of the steam ranges between 170 F and 190 F and it is only applied for 3 or 4 seconds. I also asked if the steam would remove the wax and they say no because is only applied for a few seconds. To remove the wax it would take about 30 seconds of steaming the area. They also mentioned that some waxes have a high melting point so it would be more difficult to be removed.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Can this be true? I know car paints are a lot better now days and can withstand high temperatures but at what point is not safe for the car paint anymore. I have seen a show where they measured the temperature of the car

Comment

Steam hmmmmmmmmm not shure on this one;

Comment

It sure does seem like just smearing the dirt around to me.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It does look like you would scratch the car but they have their own technique, they just sweep the dirt out with the pressure and the moisture and heat helps remove the dirt. The action with the rug is only to dry the few spots that are not dry.
                  It really is amazing how is done.

Comment

I don't think its a good idea. The wat he did it was strange hood windows then roof. It seems to just move the dirt then being real effective.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 23jam View Post
                      I don't think its a good idea. The wat he did it was strange hood windows then roof. It seems to just move the dirt then being real effective.
                      +1

I honestly was not that impressed. Didn't seen very effective at all from the videos I saw. I would rather grab a bottle of quick detailer and a micro fiber.

Comment

Greetings,

There have been a lot of improvements in steam tech over the last few years. My company just introduced our first model, the Optima DMF. We redesigned the model in cooperation with a Korean company.

Steam is a substitute for high volume pressure washers. It is a spray and wipe application. An operator sprays the vehicle surface with steam and follows the steam trail with a microfiber absorbent cloth. Unlike a waterless solution, the operator has the added advantage of heat and pressure. In fact, we use both products in our cleaning process.
                        Last edited by Markus Kleis; Sep 30, 2009, 08:07 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Comment

Mainesteam,

I removed the link in your post because it appeared to be very commercial in nature. Furthermore, we have a general rule that no new users under 30 posts can post click-able links.

If you would like to continue the discussion about steamers on MOL, you are more than welcome. Please just be sure to observe the FORUM RULES.

Thank you!

Mark Kleis

Comment

9C1 MAN-
                            you avatar is so hot! I'll either do my caprice black or DCM.

I don't really get the steam washing paint. But I do like warshing with mildly hot H-twenty.
                            Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
                            baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

Buddydog could use a steam wash probably.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');