• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!!!!!!! waxed a fresh paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!!!!! waxed a fresh paint job

i used nxt wax on a 1 week old paint job because im an idiot.
    i just did this last night so i hope nothing bad happened.

is it safe to use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol to remove the wax?

Re: HELP!!!!!!!! waxed a fresh paint job

It probably won't hurt anything, I hope. Removing the wax with alcohol would probably do more harm than leaving the wax alone. I suspect it will just take longer for the paint to fully cure. Unless it is obviously doing something bad to your paint, I would just leave it alone and hope everything turns out ok in the long term.

Comment

I'd polish the car with a paint cleaner like Deep Crystal, SwirlX, #80 or #205. any of these will remove the NXT wax.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
        I'd polish the car with a paint cleaner like Deep Crystal, SwirlX, #80 or #205. any of these will remove the NXT wax.
        Yeah, Deep Crystal Polish is a pure polish so it won't hurt the fresh paint. It should be the easiest item to find in a local store, so i'd go with that if you don't have any of the items listed above...
        -----

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Majeika View Post
          Yeah, Deep Crystal Polish is a pure polish so it won't hurt the fresh paint. It should be the easiest item to find in a local store, so i'd go with that if you don't have any of the items listed above...
          DCP won't hurt the fresh paint but it won't remove the NXT either. What would be ideal, I think, would be a non-abrasive paint cleaner, like the old Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (discontinued but still available from Amazon.com). You might be able to find a bottle of M09 Swirl Remover through the local PBE store. It's also available at a great price from Amazon.com. M09 is the least abrasive of Meguiar's professional polishes and is also rich in polishing oils. Either of these products should get the job done for you.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

What's the problem with leaving the wax on? Will the paint not cure? Just asking becuase I've never dealt with fresh paint.

Comment

Originally posted by rqk View Post
              What's the problem with leaving the wax on? Will the paint not cure? Just asking becuase I've never dealt with fresh paint.
              In theory, the sealant can, well, seal the paint and keep it from properly out-gassing. When a paint cures, it releases gases... if they are trapped by a sealant, they can in theory push the paint away from the surface of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                In theory, the sealant can, well, seal the paint and keep it from properly out-gassing. When a paint cures, it releases gases... if they are trapped by a sealant, they can in theory push the paint away from the surface of the car.

Ouch... I didn't think it was that bad... .

Comment

I would go over the entire car with #80.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Kornercarver View Post
                    It probably won't hurt anything, I hope. Removing the wax with alcohol would probably do more harm than leaving the wax alone. I suspect it will just take longer for the paint to fully cure. Unless it is obviously doing something bad to your paint, I would just leave it alone and hope everything turns out ok in the long term.

Bad advice. Read post by Mark 3 posts up.

Remember, hope is not a method.

Colin
                    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Fresh paint will continue to release solvents for 3-4 weeks as it fully cures. Waxing too soon after painting may cause localized bubbles in the paint (this is an extreme case that I've seen a couple of times with single stage paints).

Have you thought about very lightly wiping down your car with wax remover?
                      - I'd check with the painter to see if he has any suggestions.

Maybe claying the paint will also remove the wax...
                      Andy W.
                      Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                      Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by bmrfan View Post
                        ...I'd check with the painter to see if he has any suggestions...

Best advice given yet.

Colin
                        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

i ended up washing the car 3 times with dish washing soap..worked like a charm....then i rinsed it and washed it twice with meguiars car wash soap

Comment

Here's something I wrote in 2004 when this forum first went live and the information is just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it and no one has ever challenged my theory...

Paint Needs to Breathe

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');