• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G110v2 vs GG6 vs PC 7424XP

I expect to need to buy a new DA when my UDM1.0 croaks but I think a better way to review these is by NOT combining characteristics since it implies a bias.

For example, you can rank each attribute: build quality, robustness, warranty support (including like do you have to pay shipping if it fails), backing plate options, machine power under load in absolute terms, ergnomics (like switch location), handles, acoustics, vibration, etc. and the buyer can decide the ranking.

I have been reading the reports and almost all say the GG has the most raw power. For typical use, any polisher can do the task (sorta like comparing a V6 vs v8, they both will get you there) but how they get you there is equally important.

As for the constant power debate, it should be a simple matter to do a video of various actions to objectively evaluate raw power. The challenge is to get a fair test not subject to trying to prove a point.
    Al
    ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Just got my new G110v2 from Amazon today and will be trying it out as soon as it stops raining in Seattle!

Comment

I am having a huge issue trying to decide which one I want to get....torn between the G110v2 and the GG6....edge goes to the GG6 though....I have the GG3 & love it....should I flip a coin?
        "STRIFE" aka Phil
        2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
        2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
        2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Both are fine machines so I don't think you will go wrong with either. For me personally, GG's LIFETIME warranty was the big difference. Plus, GG's distribution center is about 20 minutes from my house so I have easy access to their stuff.
          -Mike

Comment

I live in Canada....so I'm not sure it really make a diff, but lifetime warranty gives the GG an edge in my books....but everything I use to detail my cars are Megs, except for the MF cleaner soap & and Collinite 845& 476. I think GG ships to Canada?
            "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

I met up with another guy in town who has a GG6, so I got to work with it a little bit. My impressions:

1) I would describe the oscillations are more violent than what I've seen with the G110v2 and the Porter Cable. I've read over on autogeek's forums that the GG6 tends to chew up foam pads at a faster rate than the other DAs in its class.

2) It is very plasticky, and does not have the solid feel of the G110v2. However, it has a lifetime warranty.....although I don't know if this covers damage due to dropping it on your concrete garage floor (doubtful).

3) It has plenty of power. Regardless of which is the most powerful machine, you aren't going to have any problems keeping the pad rotating with this thing.

While I'm still rocking the old school 7424, when I upgrade I will definitely get a G110v2. I see it as a way of supporting the Meguiar's community which has taught me a tremendous amount of information. Really though, I do not believe you can go wrong with either of the three. If the G110v2 had a lifetime warranty it would be a complete no-brainer.

Comment

I just got my G110v2 and my 2 months of waiting was all worth it. I love the power it gives and I can hold it with one hand using the gliding motion easily. My first session with it was a polish-wax-LSP which took me about 4 hours. It was a breeze!

Will try out my friends' GG and XP soon to give a review.
                Greetings from the Montero Sport Club of the Philippines! Visit us online at: www.monterosportclubphils.com

Comment

^ look forward to reading your comparo as i have both the GG3 & GG6
                  "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

Happy I saw this old thread. I was using my G100 a few weeks ago and noticed it's a v1 not a v2. I thought it was a v2. lol Now I am thinking of getting a v2 or the GG6.
                    Scott

Comment

What speed setting do you use with the Yellow Soft Buff 2.0 Pad? Black Soft Buff 2.0 Pad?

Comment

Originally posted by Homer View Post
                        What speed setting do you use with the Yellow Soft Buff 2.0 Pad? Black Soft Buff 2.0 Pad?
                        Check out this thread for a chart of speed settings... Product, Pad and Speed settings
                        Scott

Comment

One point overlooked so far is ongoing tool maintenance. I have used these three tools and some are louder and some are slightly easier to handle but overall any one will do a good job. The one thing most overlook is that these devices need regular and periodic maintenance. Things like cleaning and re-lubrication should be done at least every year or two and then there are the things like replacing worn brushes, power cords, switches etc. These, for most of the models, will require a mail in service to accomplish. This is where I find Porter-Cable to have a distinct advantage. Most ACE hardware stores are authorized PC service centers. The above mentioned service can be done in minutes without mailing the device away for a few weeks. For me this has been a big advantage over the years. I still have a PC 7336 that is 16 years old that runs like new and still gets the job done. In fact with the advent of microfiber pads and SMAT polishes, it works better now than it did when new.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

Thanks jfelbab. Good info.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');