• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo S80 V8 - Team Detailing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo S80 V8 - Team Detailing!

As a thank you for being my advanced driving observer, I offered to detail Iain's Volvo S80 V8... But as part of the fun of detailing, we organised a small team to work on the car: myself, Gordon (caledonia), Iain himself, and Craig. The plan was to do a full detail on the car, and enjoy the day at the same time with some good detailing banter

First thing was first on this car... starting on the wheels. Outsides of the wheels looked very nice and clean, but it was a different story on the insides when they were removed and carefully placed on sleepers so as not to mark the alloy:

The wheel arches needed a little bit of attention too, but nothing major...

Large region of tar on inside of the alloy...

After washing the insides of the alloy with Bilberry cut 2:1 first off, Wheel Brightener used on the worst parts (where safe of course, as being highly alkaline you have to be sure that the wheel you are using it on can handle it, and that you avoid things like plastic centre caps (removed here)). We see the tar spots, being sorted out with some Tardis:

It took about 4 - 5 hours all told working on the wheels and arches, ensuring we got the best possible finish on them. Protection was FK1000P. End results on the insides...

Through the spokes...

And back on the car...

Gordon used APC on the plastics and rubbers round the car to thoroughly clean them :

Once the wheels and arches were complete it was time to foam and rinse the car, one of my favourite parts of the washing process, the foam lance - still a certainly child like amusement to its use!

Rinsed off...

Water beading nicely on the freshly protected wheels...

After claying with Bilt Hamber soft clay, it was time to assess the paint... The results of the assessment very promising - the paint was in very good condition save for a little etching:

but the general finish was very good indeed as far as swirls go...

. The aim of the paint correction work here was to enhance the clarity of the paint, bring the flake out a little more and remove any deep RDS that were also on the paint.

Technique and polishes used: Menzerna PO85RD3.02 Intensive Polish applied as follows:

Rotary:
    • Spread at 600rpm
    • Begin working at 1200rpm, ensuring the residue nicely spread out and the polish is working
    • Work at 1800rpm until residue goes clear, medium pressure over the head of the machine. Fast machine movements were found to work best on this paint, keeping heat a bit lower but still achieving the desired results

DA:
    • Spread at speed 2
    • Begin working at speed 5 with medium pressure, pad rotating at a couple of cycles per second
    • Finish working at speed 6, when residue goes clear, machine stopped.

The point of the day was for everyone to get stuck in and be involved ... Here's Craig working away on the bottom of the doors...

Me working away on the bonnet:

Gordon tackling the rear of the car...

Refinement was carried out using my finishing polish of choice - Meguiars #205. Flexible to the point of allowing various techniques to be used to perfect the finish, application technique for this car was as follows:
    • Spread at 600rpm, for a couple of passes to get the residue well spread, light pressure
    • Begin working up to speeds, increasing the pressure as the speeds increase up to 1500rpm
    • Refine at 1200rpm, light pressure only

The Volvo paint responded well here to a basic Zenith point method, with varied pressure, resulting in clarity in the finish that I was very happy with (and so was Iain :thumb

Before shot of some defects...

After correction...

Numberplates removed so Iain could correct the whole bumper:

Door mats were cleaned using the Tornador with Tornado Cleaner (Autosmart) - Iain and Craig like their Autosmart products and were keen to see how well the Tornador would work - well, it would have been rude not too! .. The mats before...

And cleaning during and afters...

We all got stuck into every aspect of this detail, a really enjoyable day Iain getting stuck into the plastics, cleaned with APC in preparation for the dressing with Black Wow:

See the dirt being pulled out of the plastic...

Ready for dressing

After machine polishing and refining, the paint was showing its flake more clearly with a deeper gloss to the oyster grey metallic paint. Switched my camera here courtesy of mad dad popping along to get his car washed So now I can play with the focal points, a little on that later

The clairty of the paint allowing the flake to ping through:

Most cameras seem to focus automatically on the flake in metallic paints, but this actually means the bulb reflection is out of focus... on solid paints you generally see the bulb focussed as the camera picks up on it when using an automatic focus... The flake and the bulb reflection are at different focus lengths, so a little play with the manual focus allows you to focus on the bulb of the Sun Gun...

You can see that the flake is now out of focus, but this technique is ideal for taking pictures of RDS in the paint which sit on the top layer, rather than being in the flake. Anyways, just a little aside on the photography of paint from my perspective, back to the detailing

Numberplate removed at rear for correction...

Tight spots corrected too

More of the machine finish:

And some pictures of the paint finish after the machine polishing stage only...

Now, applying and removing Jeffs Acryllic Prime, the choice of cleanser and first LSP layer for this car:

Leaving...

(Not sure what Iain is doing here :lol

Tail pipes before...

And after Briliant Premium Metal Polish applied by hand...

LSP of choice was Valentines Concours Wax.

Tyres dressed with Meguiars Endurance.

Glass cleaned with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze by hand (you'd be amazed how effective a glass cleaner this is ).

Plastics and rubbers dressed with Black Wow...

The end results, taken inside the unit on the day of the detail as the keen eye will notice that we didn't finish until nearly 2am!

Arches nicely cleaned and dressed with Meguiars All Seasons Dressing:

Clean wheel

The "debris" of the day! :lol:

Iain returned to the unit on Tuesday evening, so we could get som nice daylight afters ... A quick foam and rinse of the car to get rid of the dust and road film of the couple of days, and then rolled outside for some sunshine afters:

Renaissance Wax giving nice beading action on the tailpipes

Quick foam and rinse of my car so it could join the party

Couple of arty shots...

Then the haar rolled in over the hills...

So back inside for the last after shots of the car, and the engine bay (cleaned using the Tornador):

This was a great detailing marathon, very enjoyable day Huge thanks must go to Gordon who came up for the detail, and didn't get home until 3am! Above and beyond the call of duty for sure, but great again to be working with Gordon - expect to see a few more details from this particular tag team
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Re: Volvo S80 V8 - Team Detailing!

Looks Outstanding

That was a true Detail
    Every square inch of that car is clean!
    Great Job
    Matt

Comment

Nice work again!

Good to see volvos the way they should be.

Comment

Nice Volvos! I bet that AWD v8 is quick!
        -James
        2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Cleaning the inside of the rims?

For 4-5 hours?

Wow, that's thorough. Nice work.
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Awesome job! Looks like you guys had a fun time working on the team project .
            I see again, that that awesome paintbrush-like brush was used with APC to clean the plastics and other things. I still don't understand how you guys do it though. Anytime APC 10:1 runoff touches anything, especially paint, it stains the heck out of it. How do you manage to use it so liberally without the dreaded almost-permanent APC drips? (If you don't know what I mean, find any vertical surface, like the sid eof your car, spray 10:1 or stronger APC on it, let dwell for at least 15 seconds, wipe off, enjoy the permanent drips!) I had to switch over to using M40 to clean plastics because APC stains so aggressively .

Comment

Looks fantastic! Excellent job!
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by cardriver View Post
                Awesome job! Looks like you guys had a fun time working on the team project .
                I see again, that that awesome paintbrush-like brush was used with APC to clean the plastics and other things. I still don't understand how you guys do it though. Anytime APC 10:1 runoff touches anything, especially paint, it stains the heck out of it. How do you manage to use it so liberally without the dreaded almost-permanent APC drips? (If you don't know what I mean, find any vertical surface, like the sid eof your car, spray 10:1 or stronger APC on it, let dwell for at least 15 seconds, wipe off, enjoy the permanent drips!) I had to switch over to using M40 to clean plastics because APC stains so aggressively .
                Always avoiding getting it on the paint, it helps through a foaming spray head as the foam clings and you spread it with the brush...

However, I have also been known to use APC through the foam lance for cleaning pre detail with no issues on paint, its great for shifting away LSPs and giving a good clean before you get started on the detail - but its done inside, away from the sun so never gets a chance to dry.
                "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Comment

That was a complete detail. Everything looks fantastic. Great work guys. The Volvo looks fantastic.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great job and atention to detail. That Volvo turned out very nice.
                    Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                    www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                    Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

That looks amazing. One of the best and most thorough details on the site, awesome results guys.
                      The S80 is one of my favorite cars, and dark grey metallic is one of my favorite colors, and you made it look absolutely incredible. HUUUUGE thumbs up.
                      If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Great job!!! This is a Great Posting. You inspired me to clean the wheels on my BMW 330 xi and I too got the same results. They now look like new. Thank you for your description of your process.

Charles Berry

Comment

Glad to see Volvo lover around here.
                          Mine is S60 D5 Ice White. very good car

Comment

Fantastic Photos!
                            Even better work!
                            Awesome I dare to say...
                            Proud owner of:
                            Quik Clay Detailing System, Scratch X, NXT Tech Wax 1.0 (liquid and paste), High Endurance, Natural Shine, #80, #82, #83, #84, APC, Last Touch, #34, #16, Megs Glass Cleaner Concentrate, Megs Soft Wash Gel, Megs Smooth Surface Clay Kit, Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer

Comment

Cant believe I missed this first time around Dave.
                              Brought back fond memories this one.
                              Great car and a pleasure to work on.
                              Gordon.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');