• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't determine what these spots are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't determine what these spots are?

Hello all first post long time reader!!!!

These two pictures are the tailgate on my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500.
    The color is white. (Obvious)

If you look close you will see rust colored spots all over the tailgate.
    These spots are from the window line down all over the truck. With
    most of the spots toward the rear of the truck.

Paint history. Up till 2008 the truck was hand washed and meguired up!
    Three times a year. I am in the North East.
    This last year and this year the truck only was hand washed or One car
    wash location.

I can not figure out what these spots are. It looks like rust comming through
    paint but, they are removable with paint cleaner. They are in or on the clearcoat.
    I am not a novice to paint buffing or proper care. A few years in a local body shop
    gained tons of paint knowledge.

Oh well I can not post pictures yet so I will post as soon as I get enough credits.

Re: Can't determine what these spots are?

Hi Jezman,You'll have to try and upload your pics again.There are no pics in your thread. If your stuck,uploading pics into a thread i'll go and get the link for you.

Here's the link,if you're stuck.

How to place an image in your messages
    Last edited by Eddie6th; Jun 8, 2009, 04:18 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Sounds like some kind of steel contamination?

As for pictures, you can't attach a picture you need to upload it into the gallery and the insert it.

The link above goes over all that.

As for the problem check out the threads listed in the below link,

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        Sounds like some kind of steel contamination?

As for pictures, you can't attach a picture you need to upload it into the gallery and the insert it.

The link above goes over all that.

As for the problem check out the threads listed in the below link,

Thanks Mike. I thought it included the full monty!

Comment

Here is a link to the two photos.
          Notice reflection of camera at top of second photo.
          These spots are very small.

Comment

Pic link provided.

Comment

Here's your pics in the thread...

Hope this helps.
              RG Curtis
              U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

You say that the paint cleaner(step 1 of the DC set?) removes them.Do they then reappear after a while in the exact same locations?

thanks for helping the fella with his pics,RG.

Comment

Originally posted by Jezman View Post
                  Hello all first post long time reader!!!!

These two pictures are the tailgate on my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500.
                  The color is white. (Obvious)

If you look close you will see rust colored spots all over the tailgate.
                  These spots are from the window line down all over the truck. With
                  most of the spots toward the rear of the truck.

Paint history. Up till 2008 the truck was hand washed and meguired up!
                  Three times a year. I am in the North East.
                  This last year and this year the truck only was hand washed or One car
                  wash location.

I can not figure out what these spots are. It looks like rust comming through
                  paint but, they are removable with paint cleaner. They are in or on the clearcoat.
                  I am not a novice to paint buffing or proper care. A few years in a local body shop
                  gained tons of paint knowledge.

Oh well I can not post pictures yet so I will post as soon as I get enough credits.
                  Hey,

Those spots are from some sort of metal contaminant like rail dust or from the brakes kicking up metal particles. Often in snowy areas, the salt and chemicals they place on the road can cause the spots to show up.

It is easy to fix! Just use Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit and the clay will remove most if not all of the spots. If any remain, I like to use Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant to remove the rest.

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I didn't think that it was any kind of rusting from the bodywork as there is no bubbling of the paint.Must be some kind of contamination,containing ferrous particles. I think what he means(though i'm not sure),is that the paint cleaning removes them,okay,but then comes back again after a certain period of time.Not the same,but new spots due to contamination?

Comment

I hate to say it but I think we need more data. Ed, brings up a good point......are the spots coming back right away or over time in the same spot??????
                      RG Curtis
                      U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                        I didn't think that it was any kind of rusting from the bodywork as there is no bubbling of the paint.Must be some kind of contamination,containing ferrous particles. I think what he means(though i'm not sure),is that the paint cleaning removes them,okay,but then comes back again after a certain period of time.Not the same,but new spots due to contamination?

If they return then they are more than likely rail dust or the metal particles like I mentioned.

When cars are being transported from the manufacturer to the dealer, rail dust ie. metal particles being kicked up by the trains wheels, often embed themselves into the paint. So picture a tiny piece of metal barely visible that is red hot from the trains wheels landing on and sinking into the paint slightly. When something like the salt or the magnesium they use on winter roads touches these particles they effectively rust. The body below the paint is not rusting, only the particles.

This is when you want to use either clay or a paint decontamination system, with clay being the better choice IMHO. A paint cleaner will remove the discoloration from the particles but not the particles themselves. Hence the reason why the spots return unless removed. Even metal from the brakes on your car may cause some spots every year and that is the reason many of us advocate claying once a year.

Tim

Comment

Thanks again Tim.I see now what's happening.Thing is that I've never heard of or encountered that problem before.First time for everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                            Thanks again Tim.I see now what's happening.Thing is that I've never heard of or encountered that problem before.First time for everyone!
                            You are welcome! That problem has been around for decades and while it is annoying, it is easily fixed.

Tim

Comment

Tim, you know I have never thought about that. Cool! Learned something new today. Good advice.
                              RG Curtis
                              U.S. Navy Silent Service

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');