• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Review* Tools of the Trade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Review* Tools of the Trade!

Hey everyone,

Having been part of the detailing scene for a couple of decades now, people on various sites often email or PM me to ask what tools and products do I personally use for my detailing. The answer always is: It varies. I know to some that is rather ambiguous. However after detailing for so many years, I have come to use all kinds of tools and products in order to bring a vehicle’s paint to its "maximum potential". It is my hope that this write-up helps to answer those questions!

Having been the Super Moderator of Meguiar’s Online, Show Car Garage and The Art of Polishing Paint, I have been able to meet many fantastic people who all share the same desire: to make their car’s/truck’s paint the best it can be!!!! Over the years I have completed many reviews for Meguiar’s and have tested/reviewed products from other companies as well. Some of my reviews can be seen below. Again, this is only a small sampling having completed many reviews over the years which are now either archived or are now gone due to Meguiar’s server changes etc.

Meguiar's M105!

**New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Pads!

*NEW* Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 Pads Review!!

Meguiar's D151 PRC!

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

And...right from the SEMA Show display, Meguiar's G110!

New G110 Review

I have also written a few write-ups where I used specific products and or procedures requested by MOL members:

So you want Extreme?!!!!

So you want Extreme?!!!!

Fixing a Detailing Nightmare

Fixing a Detailing Nightmare!!!!

Shining Stars Award Winner: Blinded by the Shine

Blinded by the Shine!!!!!

The above are just a few samples. But as such, I thought I would put together a write-up showing some of the products and tools I use in completing the above reviews and write-ups…

The picture below shows my most commonly used tools for polishing paint. It does not show my tools for specific tasks, but it should give anyone who is considering doing full on paint restoration or concourse detailing, the types of tools used and often required to do the job the right way!

When I approach any detail, regardless of vehicle type or condition, there are certain tools I always use or have ready.

Dewalt Rotary: my workhorse rotary I use for heavy compounding work. I will use this rotary to remove wet sanding marks, or deep scratches etc.

Makita Rotaries: I have both a 9227 and a 9207 rotaries. I mainly use the 9227 for polishing duties. The 9207 which was my first rotary some 21+ years ago is an extreme heavy duty unit that just keeps going and going! Today, I use it mostly for polishing different metals etc…

Meguiar’s G110’s Dual Action Polishers: I always keep 2 of them ready to go…one for light polishing and the other for wax/sealant application and removal

Porter Cable 7424, 7336, and Meguiar’s G100 (7335 PC) Dual Action Polishers: Now that I have the G110’s the PC’s and the G100 do not get the use they used to get! I have used the 7424 PC since they were introduced many years ago. Again, these are real workhorse buffers and that have been used and abused and still keep going strong!

A 3” air powered, forced rotation polisher: I use this polisher with 3M, 3” Polishing Pads and SM Arnold 3” wool pads. This is one of those tools that one just plain needs! It has a lot of power and can do real damage in a hurry if you are not real careful!

Meguiar’s Unigrit Sanding Papers (1500-3000 Grit) and Meguiar’s Sanding Blocks. The blocks are used for paint run’s, sag’s and touch-up leveling. The Unigrit are used from simple scratch leveling to full blown show car paint cut and buff’s.

Various stainless steel dental picks, and Meguiar’s swabs, and brushes for getting into the smallest of crevices.

Various rotary and DA backing plates for 6.5”, 7” and 8” Meguiar’s Pads, 3M pads and even a 3” rotary plate for the ultimate in a really tight area.

Brinkmann Xenon light for finding swirls… .

The picture below shows “some” of my Meguiar’s staples I use for detailing. Again, this is only a small sampling and there are many more products on my cart (see picture). This does not include the usual staples: M95, M85, M84, M83, M80, M82, M09, M07, M66, M20, M16, M26, M34 etc etc etc. I just wanted to provide a few basic products, but make it known that they are not the only ones I use and in fact, I usually use 20+ different products per detail. Of course there are also the Meguiar's Marine and Motorcycle lines that I also use!

I also wanted to show that even though I use mainly Meguiar’s products and have for nearly 25 years, I am not limited to them. I have come across paints that were so hard that only a couple of products and techniques could touch it. On the converse, I have come across ultra soft paints that even the mildest products left marring in the paint and me very angry! Then there are plastics, glass, vinyl, rubber, chrome, leather etc…. . In the end, besides the many products from Meguiar's, I use products from: Zaino, 3M, Pro Wax, Mother’s, ClearKote, S100, Plexus, Klasse, Autoglym, Poorboys etc all in an effort to achieve the ultimate detailed vehicle possible.

It is my hope that this write-up helps many who are just starting out to realize that there is no magic bullet or product and that obtaining the ultra detailed "show car" requires both practical knowledge and experience but also the necessary products and tools. In other words, a person needs to use the correct tool for the job!

I hope this helps!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Re: *Review* Tools of the Trade!

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
    Brinkmann Xenon light for finding swirls… .

Tim
    Awesome!!!! ... Where did you get this Xenon light?
    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Beginner2002 View Post
      Awesome!!!! ... Where did you get this Xenon light?
      Thanks!

I had my buddy Kelly (MOL's Kellyinkc) pick up a couple of the Brinkmann dual Xenon version lights and ship them to me. I also have a single Xenon version Brinkmann I received at Christmas one year from MOL's Mike Phillips.

Noma also makes a copy of the Brinkmann but the Noma only has one Xenon bulb and a LED where the Brinkmann makes 2 versions and one has two Xenon bulbs. The dual version works very well! I would call around to auto part stores to locate the real Brinkmann...

Tim

Comment

Thanks for posting this Tim. This is a real cool thread that i enjoyed reading. I know you own the F-250 but do you own the Ford Ranger as well?
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Excellent! You just about need sunglasses to look at the pics!

I just bought a new silver G8. If I can get half the shine you have on that Corolla I will be happy!

Great writeup as usual with a comprehensive description of all the detailing tools! That red F-150will always stand out as an example of the transformation you can do with a rotary.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Beginner2002 View Post
            Where did you get this Xenon light?
            you can get it at pepboys i believe

Comment

Thank you Tim. More pics!!!!!!

I found BRINKMANN
              Last edited by Beginner2002; Feb 2, 2009, 06:48 AM.
              Robert

Comment

Tim, your pics are off the charts. Just amazing. I am in awe.
                ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

LOOK at all those tools and all that shine!! Very nice, always look for your posts Tim.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I am so jealous of your collection!!
                    Joel
                    Firefighter/EMT-B
                    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                    '99 F-150

Comment

I think if i had all those machines and cleaner/polishes and compunds i would lock them in a safe.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Very nice writeup.You are very talented.

Chris

Comment

Awesome write up Tim!
                          Very descriptive and professional.

I would say to everyone that reads this thread to pay attention to this, comes from on of the finest gentleman in the business.

Comment

Tim
                            Impressed with your photos and excellent write-ups as usual.Would love to be able to accomplish a tenth of your skill and experience. Thank you for giving of your time to help myself and others. I see most of what you write is pertaining to paint correction and tools needed to achieve this level of detailing. Do you also have any tips too pass on as far as tools and equipment needed to wash and clean prior to the paint correction ? Or maybe tricks using an APC and other cleaners to get the surface ready for paint correction ?
                            Live like you're not afraid to die.Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride. Chris Ledoux RIP

PAUL SPARKS / Distinctive Auto Detailing
                            317-513-4678

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66paul View Post
                              Tim
                              Impressed with your photos and excellent write-ups as usual.Would love to be able to accomplish a tenth of your skill and experience. Thank you for giving of your time to help myself and others. I see most of what you write is pertaining to paint correction and tools needed to achieve this level of detailing. Do you also have any tips too pass on as far as tools and equipment needed to wash and clean prior to the paint correction ? Or maybe tricks using an APC and other cleaners to get the surface ready for paint correction ?
                              Thanks!

Let me see what I can come up with...

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');