• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105-A-Thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105-A-Thon

Well, it's almost the end of summer and I'm running out of days to finish detailing the cars for the office.

Some of you may remember the F-250 I did a few years ago. For some reason, this truck attracts tar like a magnet. Plus, it is a work truck, so there are plenty of swirls and scratches.

This time, I wanted to try something a little different. How many ways can you use M105? It's not recommended for anything but paint, but it works extremely well on everything.

Starting out, you can see how filthy the truck is:

As always, there's the tar:

Nice and dull:

I started out by claying the entire vehicle using the Aggressive clay and Last Touch.

The swirled and scratched areas were then compounded using M105. I then followed it up with M80 and the new W8207 polishing pad (love the new size with the rotary). Sorry, no pics of this step. For the protection, I chose to use NXT 2.0.

As Kevin has shown before, M105 is very effective at polishing out metal surfaces. The toolbox is polished aluminum diamond plate, but it's really dull. Here are the results after two passes with M105 and an old W4000 wool pad:

I then decided to try M95 just to see what would happen. M95 seemed to work better with the metal, but the finish just wasn't as perfect as M105. So, the process turned to M95 followed by two passes with M105. I then used a W7006 cutting pad and some liquid metal polish to finish it off.

The whole box polished:

Having fun with the Nikon:

More fun:

The F-250 has always had this bug guard on the front and it's never looked good. I used M105 and a Purple Foamed Wool pad to polish out the oxidation. It worked pretty well, but I can't stand these pads. (Let me know if you want the other two unused and I'll cut you a deal.)

After:

50/50

Here are some final shots:

That sure was a long day of polishing... The weather was terrible. It rained off and on all day. At one point, I gave up and pulled half the truck in the garage so I could get something done. After the rain, it got really humid. You can kinda see the fog in some of the pictures.

The metal polishing was interesting as I've never polished something of this scale. It sure is a good way to use your old pads! The Solo backing plate is a joy to use. It isn't as firm as the older style, so it makes it easier to use.

Overall, the owner was impressed and really liked the polished diamond plate.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: M105-A-Thon

Nice job. Looks like 105 works great to polish the aluminum. I will have to give it a run on my snowmobile trailer! Normally I just put the metal polish on a pad but Im thinking 105 might be the ticket for me.
    If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Nice work. The paint pops!
      Rob A.
      '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
      '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Looks great Chris!

I've been wanting to try M105 on some plastic. Looks like it worked out great on the bug guard.
        Scott

Comment

That's the first time i've ever seen a bug guard polished out. Another reason for me to order some M105.

Comment

Wow...really nice work!

Comment

Wow. Amazing results! Never thought M105 could be used on plastic. That guard looks brand new now. How long did the job take in total? Great job.

Comment

Wow, nice job. The amount of sheet metal you polished on that truck would equal three of my cars!!!

I need to learn how to detail faster.

Comment

Nice Detail Chris!

Glad you showed what can be done to plastics, also works great on older/scratched up headlight and taillight covers.

great job on the diamond plate, looks new
                  ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                  You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                  Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

very nice work. That was really cool how you polished out the bug gaurd. The paint came to life. It looks great.
                    Alex
                    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Oh yeah! Love the final 2 shots

Didnt knw you can use it on the plastic diffuser....interesting

Thanks for the share

BTW, whats up with the purple foam woolpad?

Tim
                      Last edited by TimG; Aug 21, 2008, 08:22 PM. Reason: typo again
                      Learning new things everyday

Comment

Nice job Chris!

You've learned some tricks from the best (aka Kevin Brown!)
                        -Bob
                        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Thanks guys!!!

In all, I spent nine solid hours of buffing. The toolbox alone took three hours...

In the past, I've used Solo (M86) to polish it metal and plastic. I hadn't thought of using M105 until Kevin brought it up.

The Purple Foamed Wool (PFW) performed okay, but I just didn't care for them (rather use the Solo wool any day).
                          Chris
                          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

K.B. is a good man.

Great job on your truck

Some nice F-Series on this site.

Good show
                            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Truck looks great Chris. Great work as always. You made everything on that truck pop. Way to go.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');