• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scratchs in instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scratchs in instrument cluster

just put in scratches into my instrument gauges without knowing it a pond cleaning it, anything to help get them out without creating further damage? Thxs for your time and effort

Re: scratchs in instrument cluster

PlastX.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

PlastX is great stuff. I've used it by hand, with a PC and with a rotary.

Can't beat it.

If by hand, put passion behind the pad and wipe before it drys and repeat as necessary (I've used up to 3-4 passes).

Aaron
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Plastx and a clean pad!

One tip: If it is easy to remove, I'd take the cluster out to make life easier.
        Otherwise, you could use some tape to keep it from going in bad places.

good luck
        -nick
        Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Ditto on the comments thus far. PlastX, passion and as many passes as it takes - usually 3-5 passes in my experience. I also prefer using a terry cloth instead of a foam applicator.

Comment

1 more for plast-x. Try your foam applicator first. If applying passion not satisfied. Go to the terry cloth. You should get very good results. Good luck.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

PlastX

Comment

plastX will take care of your cluster.I did what was mentioned before and removed the cluster.

Comment

WARNING on using Plast X

Ok Guys I'm going to have to disagree with all of you here.

I was at a Thursday Night Open Garage a couple weeks ago and I had scratches in my instrument cluster. I eventually ended up taking apart my dash and taking the actual plastic out because it was too hard to work on with it in there.

Plast X is actually a very abrasive cleaner that works quite well on removing fading and oxidation on external clear plastics such as headlights. Internal clear plastics such as instrument clusters or stereo faceplates tend to be very very delicate.

After using Plast X by hand, it got rid of some of the scratches and swirls, but was hazed and scratched looking from how harsh Plast X was and how delicate the plastic instrument cluster was. I went ahead and used some M205 by hand and it made it look significantly better.

From there Mike Phillips suggested to use the M205 with the G110 as to be more effective in the defect removal. After hitting up both sides of the cluster with 205, polishing pad, speed 5 on the G110, the cluster looked soooooo much better and absolutely no hazing was left behind. Topped it with a coat of NXT 2.0 to protect it from further scratches and from fading.

Remember to always try small test spots, but that is kind of hard on a small area like an instrument cluster. If you can remove the cluster, that is great as you can get a little more leverage on it.

Make sure to put lots of towels and padding under the cluster if you remove it and are working on it or else too much pressure on a hard surface without padding could cause the plastic to crack.

Mike Phillips took some pictures documenting this whole process ( had someone else holding the plastic in place while using the DA, towels for padding, products etc)
                  Hopefully he sees this thread and can post them up!

If you have any other questions post em up or shoot me a PM!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                  Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Hi Andrew,I did my instrument panel with plastx and it came fine.Possibly different manufacturers and the age of the car come into play here.I agree,it felt a little different from other plastics when i was applying.The worst was that I found that the inside of the plastic was dirtier than the outside.On my car that was a nightmare to do,but I got there eventually,again like you,it's better to do this job out of the car,being more comfy and easier to work with.

I take it PlastX in Europe is exactly the same as in the states.I don't see why it would be any different,but I found it wasn't overly agressive.Again,depends on type of plastic!

Bye.Eddie.

Comment

Eddie, the Plast X in Europe is the same as the Plast X in the States. What I was getting at is saying that instrument clusters typically are a lot more delicate than headlights etc. As with clear plastics, each one is unique just as car paints are. Honda paint is typically soft, but not all Hondas have soft paint, and instrument cluster are typically delicate, but not all clusters are that delicate.

My point being is that a test spot is not going to be inconspicous on the instrument cluster, and if you use something too aggressive, it may be a paint to get out by hand in a cramped area.

-Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                        WARNING on using Plast X
                        From there Mike Phillips suggested to use the M205 with the G110 as to be more effective in the defect removal. After hitting up both sides of the cluster with 205, polishing pad, speed 5 on the G110, the cluster looked soooooo much better and absolutely no hazing was left behind. Topped it with a coat of NXT 2.0 to protect it from further scratches and from fading.
                        Andrew, what specific NXT 2 product did you use? The wax (paste or liquid)?

Comment

This pics are from my application...

Menzerna PO85RD and hand applicator...

Before

On it

After 3 hits

Skoda Roomster

Comment

Originally posted by Make 'em Last View Post
                            Andrew, what specific NXT 2 product did you use? The wax (paste or liquid)?
                            Liquid Wax

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                              Eddie, the Plast X in Europe is the same as the Plast X in the States. What I was getting at is saying that instrument clusters typically are a lot more delicate than headlights etc. As with clear plastics, each one is unique just as car paints are. Honda paint is typically soft, but not all Hondas have soft paint, and instrument cluster are typically delicate, but not all clusters are that delicate.

My point being is that a test spot is not going to be inconspicous on the instrument cluster, and if you use something too aggressive, it may be a paint to get out by hand in a cramped area.

-Andrew
                              Hi Andrew,and thanks for the reply.I wasn't disagreeing with anything you mentioned.I was just putting in my personal exp.Yes,headlights etc. are harder as you said.
                              I've found this stuff to be a miracle polish for me.I think also,everyone is different and apply products differently.Figure out this one..... When i started to clean my instrument panel,I started with the foam applicator for a bit of bite.Fine.This got rid of the heavy stuff.I then had to get rid of the fine stuff. I started off with a microfibre(not to create any lint) and it worked,but not completly.So I then switched to a natural terry,and it removed the fine stuff better. Microfibre v Terry?

I've also used this product on many,many plastic finishes. Watch faces,toys or plastic ornaments,model cars and their cases,hifi displays and anything else that requires a plastic cleaner/polish. I have never tried the CD/DVD surfaces.(I don't need to,as I look after them carefully).

Here's a pic of a scale model windshield,that was pretty badly scratched/scuffed to start with:

I've put this one in as I find that the plastic on these are quite soft.I've got plenty of these to get through,so in the future,I'll be doing a before/after example.

Thanks,Eddie.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');