• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New G-110 Review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New G-110 Review!

New G110 Review

Hey everyone,

I was lucky enough to have obtained one of the new Meguiar's G-110 DA polishers from the SEMA Show for testing and reviewing. But unfortunately I was not allowed to post information on it until after its official release. But now I can!

The first thing I will comment on is the way the G-110 is packaged. It comes in a blow molded black plastic case. In it, you will find the polisher, the new W67DA Backing Plate, wrench for attaching the backing plate, a bail handle, and its corresponding allen wrench for attaching it to the new G-110.

I really like having storage boxes for my polishers and usually I store my rotaries and G-100's in separate mechanics boxes. But this is one area of the G-110 that I think needs improving. Once you have the bail handle installed, the buffer no longer fits into the box. Perhaps if a different case was created with the handle already installed, (but still user removable), from the factory, I think this case would work much better. As it is, it is a non issue for me however as I said previously, I keep them in separate boxes anyway.

Now...for what really matters...how does it work? The G-110 is a well designed professional tool! Ergonomically, the handle can be adjusted for multiple angles. I found that I could use the handle in an upright position for buffing on horizontal surfaces, but could place it in the down position for vertical surfaces. I found that feature to be really handy as it allows one to keep their wrist at a non-awkward angle which means 14 hour buffing marathons should not leave your wrist screaming in pain.

If you are like me, you probably do not use the your handle on the G-100 already. So I decided to remove it from the G-110 to see what happens. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the someone had their thinking caps on....the buffer's head has a nice indent that fits the palm of your hand perfectly. Again, this ergonomic detail is VERY important when detailing for hours upon hours.

The counter balance weight set up below the head, is a little larger than the G-100, but essentially looks similar. However, below the counter balance weight , there appears to be another bearing and a bracket that holds the bearing attached to the counter weight. What I discovered is that this set up removes some of the vibration making the tool run smoother. It still vibrates as it is a DA orbital that oscillates, but it does seem to help in removing excessive vibrations.

When using the G-110, it has a dial just like the G-100. The biggest difference however is that each of the dial presets, you have more power at a higher rpm. I really had to lean on the buffer to slow it down. The extra torque provided by the G-110 is very noticeable over the G-100! You are still advised to not go beyond the #5 preset, but #6 is still there.

As you can see in the below photo, I was really putting pressure on the polisher as evident by the squashed pad. Normally I would not press that hard as that can cut into the pads wrecking them, but I wanted to see what would happen.

The decibels of the G-110 does not by my ear sound any different than the G-100. It may be a touch louder and deeper in sound, but it does not stand out one way or the other. But then again, I am used to spending hours with my big rotaries screaming away, so to me, this is MUCH better!

In the end, I forgot about the buffer and just kept buffing! That to me is very high praise. I have used the Porter Cable 7424, 7336 and the G-100 since the day they came on to the market, but to adjust so easily to the G-110 means to me that it had a comfortable feel that allowed me to enjoy my detailing rather than fighting to learn how to use a new tool!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Re: New G-110 Review!

Tim,

Excellent job! I can't wait to receive mine after reading
    your review.

Wig

Comment

Great review! At that price it's a steal! Looks like I have to add that to my shopping list.

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Great review as usual.
        Now do we sell our G100 and get this?

Kelly
        MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Tim,

As always very informative and most importantly, complete write up!!! I really like the fact that you can move the handle to different positions like you showed. It would work better when buffing out those side panels. I do agree with you about the case, although, I currently have a G-100, and do the same as you. I have a seperate tool kit/box that I keep it in. Maybe Meguiars could give the customer an option of either getting the hard case or one like you have in the back ground on your third picture.
          Just how much more power do you think the G-110 has as compared to the G-100? Do you think you could do more paint correction with the G-110 than you could do with the G-100?

Great write up as always Tim!

Andy
          101impala
          Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Excellent write up Tim. Awesome garage too!
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks, Tim!! ADS has them now and I'm running low on a couple other things, maybe I'll go ahead and place the order.

Great work as usual!

Ryan
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Looks good! I'll have to get one myself to replace my orbital soon. I also like your Corolla.

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
                  Tim,

As always very informative and most importantly, complete write up!!! I really like the fact that you can move the handle to different positions like you showed. It would work better when buffing out those side panels. I do agree with you about the case, although, I currently have a G-100, and do the same as you. I have a seperate tool kit/box that I keep it in. Maybe Meguiars could give the customer an option of either getting the hard case or one like you have in the back ground on your third picture.
                  Just how much more power do you think the G-110 has as compared to the G-100? Do you think you could do more paint correction with the G-110 than you could do with the G-100?

Great write up as always Tim!

Andy
                  101impala
                  Thanks Andy

It is hard to gauge the extra power, but based on the way it was breaking down the new version of #2, I would have to say that it will do more than the G-100. It will still not do what a rotary can, but it can do a LOT and is MUCH safer to use as well!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 08 Corolla View Post
                    Looks good! I'll have to get one myself to replace my orbital soon. I also like your Corolla.
                    Wow...you recognized it as a Corolla from those shots? Good eye!

Yeah...I like the car. Here is a picture after using the G-110. Not too bad for a 2003!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                      Wow...you recognized it as a Corolla from those shots? Good eye!

Yeah...I like the car. Here is a picture after using the G-110. Not too bad for a 2003!

Tim
                      Yeah I have a Corolla myself so it was pretty easy to know. I'd love to see more shots of the car.

Comment

Well without taking the thread too far off course, here are a couple more of the car taken previously...

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                          Well without taking the thread too far off course, here are a couple more of the car taken previously...

Tim
                          SWEET!!!
                          Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Tim thanks for sharing ....
                            Also, I'm coming over to visit, I want to use all those tools and grab a few banners lol...
                            Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
                            ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
                            (269)650-2242

Comment

Thanks for sharing Tim, excellent write up!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');