• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G100/PC - Should it be spinning all the time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G100/PC - Should it be spinning all the time?

G100/PC - Should it be spinning all the time?

I'm signed up for the Tampa Class and have ordered the Mike Phillips DVD on the Corvette, but meanwhile--am I better off letting the PC spin, or applying pressure. (I read about the 20 pounds of pressure)? Seems any pressure and it basically stops spinning and just vibrates.

I can't eat or sleep until I get this squared away.

There are some great guides that Mike put on the board. One of them talks about speed, and it can be found under the G100 forum.

Product and Speed Guide

With regard to pressure, I'll see what I can find and link that one here as well.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Here's the other link I promised. This is a thread Mike did to show the pressure needed in various situations with a DA polisher.

Pressure for DA Polishing

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to find that link. I have seen the speed guide, and the pictures and description with the scale, (i.e. that link) but if it isn't rotating, the speed just increases the vibration with no rotation, and it seems to me that the slightest pressure, even the weight of my hands and arms, stops rotation. Maybe the PC is defective (can't be me, right?). We are at a speed setting of 5.

Comment

Sorry, misunderstood your question

I write my product numbers on the side of my pads with black marker, so it's very easy for me to pick up the rotation as it does or doesn't occur.

How are you gauging the rotation? Some people's eyes play tricks and they don't pick up the motion and only feel the vibration, so they assume the circular motion has ceased.

What size pad are you using? Pads bigger than the 6.5" will bog a Porter Cable machine into submission. These machines are not overly powerful since they were originally designed for wood sanding. Excess friction in the way of great downforce, excess product, or greater than normal contact surface area will slow their circular motion.

Comment

"Sorry, misunderstood your question"

I probably wasn't clear.

"I write my product numbers on the side of my pads with black marker, so it's very easy for me to pick up the rotation as it does or doesn't occur."

Funny--I do the same. And that is how I gauge the speed. I physically watch the pad slow down and speed up from the markings, and can put my finger on it and feel it not rotating--just shaking/vibrating. I about have to lift the PC to get the pad to rotate. I am using the Megs pad 8006/9006.

Comment

When I went in business professionally in 1993, I used a pneumatic DA for a finishing polisher. The trick was to get those to be slow enough to be controllable and to polish effectively.

The PC is on the other end of this spectrum. As you seem to have experienced, a little pressure really has an effect on slowing this machine. The PC is very gentle and is nowhere near as powerful as a rotary or even some other types of polishing machines.

Accumulator, I do believe, has some experience in comparing the PC against other DA-style polishers. Hopefully we'll have his words on the topic to help you.

If yours is simply stopping its rotation, that's not good. Is this your first/only PC or DA polisher? I ask because I wonder if you have a machine to compare it against. What gauge and length extension cord are you using (I'm grasping at straws now)? Is your machine getting very hot as you use it?

Rotation is very important. I have noticed the PC's rotation is less (under 15-20 lbs downforce) than on my pneumatics, but I've had good results using the PC nonetheless. It does tend to be a bit slower than my pneumatics.

Without having hands on your machine and seeing the way it acts, I'm not able to say anything more certain. I'm sure others will once they see the thread.

Comment

my G100 does the same thing. I have gone so far as to actually do the tip that MIke shows about practicing pressure on a scale w/ clear plastic wrap over it. MIne too bogs down while using 5.0 setting w/8006 when I apply 15-20 pounds pressure. I have a black vertical line marked on the outer edge of my pads so I can see the rotation. It simply quits moving at all very often.....I used it last Saturday and as I see my paint more and more in the light, I'm finding that I got out very few of the scratches I was trying to get. Paint looks good straight on but get at an angle and they are THERE!!!! Very frustrating too me.

Comment

Pete--6 ft extension cord. Yes it gets hot--I can feel it right into the backing plate when I change pads.

I have nothing to compare it against.

LA--Same result/frustration here. Very superficial top buffing only. I can barely keep the rotation going to remove my wax application (NXT) with a 7006/bonnet.

Comment

Monk I see that you are in FL. What part and are you going to the Tampa class? I am seriously thinking about making the drive and coming down to it. I will have to figure out drive time and decide when to leave, come home, accomodations, ect.....I have been wanting to attend a class and it looks as if this may be the closest one I will ever have opportunity to attend.

Comment

LA--Yes. I am attending. 3.5 hour drive each way, but welll worth it, I suspect. I guess I can tough it out for three weeks to get to the bottom of this. Thing is, although it is not my livelihood, I can build a house from the ground up with my own hands, including wiring and plumbing but can not get this little buffer to do what everybody shows over and over again it is capable of. And I have worked on three different cars, so it is probably not the paint being "hard".

I can barely remove applied NXT Tech wax at a 5 setting and minimum pressure (anything else and it stops rotating).

Comment

Originally posted by LAfirefytr
                        MIne too bogs down while using 5.0 setting w/8006 when I apply 15-20 pounds pressure.
                        15-20 lbs of pressure is way too much. I believe Mike recommends more like 5 lbs of pressure.
                        -Bob
                        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

RDVT4ME---you might want to reread Mike's post concerning "using the G100 to remove swirls w/ the professional line" as that where I got recommendations on applications. It states that you are to use 15-20 pounds of pressure for applying 83 and 80 (w/ 8006) as well as removing wax (w/ bonnett and 7006). The only time you would even consider 5-10 is when you apply a wax because all you are wanting to do in this step is exactly that-JUST APPLY. There is little to no cleaning/removal here in this step. 5-10 pounds w/ 80 or 83 and you are KIDDING YOURSELF.

Comment

MONK-is your G100 new? Where did you purchase it from and how long ago?
                            I am seriously considering the class. I've just got to make sure I can swing it.

Comment

LA --Come on--sign up. I'll buy you a libation. I'll bring you a fine cigar. Its a PC 7424 from AUtogeek. I live just about a half hour away from them. The guy said to bring it over and he would check it out to make sure it is me that is defective and not the machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');