• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable Pressure Washers and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Pressure Washers and Why?

I've been researching various pressure washers, and not exactly sure why a detailer needs it.

Are these used to speed off the cleaning of a dirty car?

Or is it just a necessary way to be able to shoot out water from a mobile water tank that otherwise wouldn't have any pressure?

I understand that less water is consumed which is great when you are bringing your own water supply.

Isn't the potential for causing damage greater with a pressure washer?

Assuming you are equipped with a pressure washer, might there be times that you would opt NOT to use it out of fear of damaging the paint?

Finally I've seen low cost consumer 1300 PSI models, but it seems the pro models are 2000 - 3000 PSI. Is there such thing as too much PSI for our cars?

Thanks!

Richard
    Richard Lin
    ShowCarDetailing
    5548 E. La Palma Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    toll free: 866 707 9292

Richard,
    I have one of the little electric Karcher models and like it. It's 1600 PSI. I don't do mobile detailing, but if I get a car or truck with a dirty underside and wheel wells, then that's usually when I break it out. I don't' wash cars with it, but clean wheels and tires with it and and the occasional engine compartment.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom! Yeah Karcher is the brand I was thinking about. I saw one after discounts for around $49...from $119 or something like that. I can see how the pressure washer can be useful for the really dirty areas.

Richard
      Richard Lin
      ShowCarDetailing
      5548 E. La Palma Ave
      Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed
        Richard,
        I have one of the little electric Karcher models and like it. It's 1600 PSI. I don't do mobile detailing, but if I get a car or truck with a dirty underside and wheel wells, then that's usually when I break it out. I don't' wash cars with it, but clean wheels and tires with it and and the occasional engine compartment.

Tom
        That's exactly how I use mine. I usually also break it out on wheels with excessive brake dust. Spray on the wheel brightener, agitate it lightly, let it soak for a minute or so, and pressure wash it off.

Comment

Awesome!! Thanks guys!!

Richard
          Richard Lin
          ShowCarDetailing
          5548 E. La Palma Ave
          Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Power washers are good for wheel wells, underbody, etc. Same reason some folks like ot go to a Coin-Op place to take advantage of the pressure wash there just for those places.

Have to be carfeull on paint of course, because pressure washing a diry surface can be like blasting sand across your paint.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Isn't the potential for causing damage greater with a pressure washer?

Help me answer this and you will answer your question -

Isn't the potential for causing damage greater with a car than if one walked?
              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
                Have to be carfeull on paint of course, because pressure washing a diry surface can be like blasting sand across your paint.
                But surely just using a hose a leaving more dirt on the surface before going at it with a wash mitt negates this risk?

I use a pressure washer for everything; always have done. I can adjust the pressure of mine on the lance though so can turn it down when required (engines for example).

I also find that using a pressure washer for a final rinse is more effective that trying to sheet the water off with an open hose, and because the water is under pressure, it doesn't give it time for the surface tension to hold it in panel gaps and seams etc, so drying actually (for me anyway) is much easier.

Ben

Comment

So help me understand, how does the pressure washer receive water? Does it need a pre pressurized source like from a faucet? Or can it **** water say from a bucket and shoot that?

Thanks

Richard
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

I tend to not use the Pessure washer alot but have used it a time or 2 on cars where the paint is already scratched up and I am going to hit it with a polish anyway. I think the pressure washer as a tool has it's uses from time to time. I would not use it all the time as I would suspect it likely to push some grit up under some rubber seals and such. I have 2 gas operated ones in the shed. Each has it's own advantages.
                    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

I wouldn't detail without a pressure washer.
                      It's no more damaging than a garden hose. It uses way less water, too (Which is CRITICAL when you're a mobile detailer AND pay for de-ionized water). Most pressure washers have a regulator built-in, so if you think you're a little high on the pressure, it can be backed down.

I certainly have never had to clay or buff dirt particulate that was 'forced' in to the paint.
                      I use my pressure washer on seat belts, carpets, interiors, engines... Everything! You can be very strategic with the water when using a wand. I have a short and a medium-length wand. Tips are quick-disconnect (To change the fan of the water).

Most of my detailing life, I've used an electric pressure washer.
                      I've had mine for EIGHTEEN years! It puts out only around 1100 p.s.i. @ 1 gallon per minute. A small Karcher is more than ample for virtually any detailing job you'll ever come across.

A pressure washer will work connected directly to a tank, or a water spigot.
                      If you plan on pulling water from a tank (Mounted in a trailer or pickup bed, for instance), it can take a minute for the water to purge the air from a long run of hose to the pressure washer. I never ran a 'priming' pump on my rig, but there were times I certainly wanted one. Occasionally, it just seemed as though the water DID NOT want to flow! A quick disconnect of the hose feeding the pressure washer (from the tank) fixed it lickety-split.

For car cleaning, I like an electric pressure washer versus a gas-powered one.
                      If you're using it as a mobile detailer, you've probably got a generator to run your vacuum and polisher. Spend a few extra bucks on a bigger generator, and you can easily run your pressure washer, too. In many cases you'll be able to plug in to electricity at a customer's home, and doing so certainly cuts the noise WAY down versus a gas-powered unit.

Pressure washer:
                      Good enough for a 160 hour concours detail. Good enough for everyday use, too!
                      Kevin Brown
                      NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

heres how we use a pressure washer in the UK, this is mainly for the winter washer regime.

big thanks has to go to L200 Steve in the UK, he's our equivilant of Mike

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
                          So help me understand, how does the pressure washer receive water? Does it need a pre pressurized source like from a faucet? Or can it **** water say from a bucket and shoot that?

Thanks

Richard
                          Pressure washers work both ways.

The cheaper models usually need water fed to them under some pressure. The higher quality more expensive models will actually **** water into them.

Also one can "adjust" the force of the jet of water from the pressure washer with the use of different tips and by the distance the tip is held from the area your washing.

If we have the chance to work together again I can show you how the jet stream of water can go from feeling like a gental cotton to a ball to a painful very strong stream of water.
                          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Kevin Brown and Joe (SS),
                            Thanks for your input. That answers most of my questions. I appreciate it very much.

Joe, yeah that 57 Chevy Stepside we worked on together is where many of my questions originate from, cause I remember how dirty that paint was, I knew you were going to give it a good buffing anyways, so was just curious.

I'm sure we will work together again. As soon as we finish what we got going, we'll be back to shooting more fun stuff!

Richard
                            Last edited by OctaneGuy; Dec 9, 2005, 07:33 AM.
                            Richard Lin
                            ShowCarDetailing
                            5548 E. La Palma Ave
                            Anaheim, CA 92807

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown
                              [B]I wouldn't detail without a pressure washer.

I use my pressure washer on seat belts, carpets, interiors, engines... Everything!

Hey Kevin Brown,

Once the interior of the vehicle fills up with water from using a pressure washer;

1- Do you recommend using a wet/dry vac to get rid of the water?

2- Do you recommend drilling drain holes in the floor to let the water out?

And since your comments are posted in the Pro Detailers section; what would you recommend that professional detailers tell their detailing customers when they ask for an explanation as to why a pressure washer was used to clean the interior of their vehicle?

Just wondering.
                              FRANK CANNA
                              Mirror Finish Detailing
                              23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');