• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M83 and M205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M83 and M205

I am picking up a new PC and was hoping to get information on the Pro line of products since most of my experience is with the Consumer line.

I have been reading alot about how people swear by M83. I have also been reading about the new SMAT products and the results people are getting with M105 and M205.

The quote below is from Mike Phillips' post "Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!"

Quote:
    NOTE: M205 is specifically formulated and intended to be used with a rotary buffer on fresh paint after the initial cut is made using M105 Ultra Cut Compound. When M105 is used correctly, they may only be some fine swirls left in the paint and this is what M205 is designed to remove. This is our new M105/M205 Tag Team primarily targeted at body shops where technicians are sanding and buffing fresh paint. Of course we know the detailing industry as well as the enthusiast segment of the car hobby will also use these products so we just want to set the record straight as to what these two products are intended to do and who they are primarily target towards.

Am I alright in assuming then that while 205 was formulated to follow 105; I can still use it as a stand alone product? Since the cars I own are in no need for the correction offered by M105.

Should I pick up some M83 and M205? Or would the 205 be better or roughly the same?

I know ultimatly it is trial and see which is best for you but if they are similar products I would rather get a different product like M21 or M06 in addition to one of them, instead of buying both to start.

Thanks in advance.

Re: M83 and M205

Originally posted by topcat View Post
    I am picking up a new PC and was hoping to get information on the Pro line of products since most of my experience is with the Consumer line.

I have been reading alot about how people swear by M83. I have also been reading about the new SMAT products and the results people are getting with M105 and M205.

The quote below is from Mike Phillips' post "Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!"

Quote:
    NOTE: M205 is specifically formulated and intended to be used with a rotary buffer on fresh paint after the initial cut is made using M105 Ultra Cut Compound. When M105 is used correctly, they may only be some fine swirls left in the paint and this is what M205 is designed to remove. This is our new M105/M205 Tag Team primarily targeted at body shops where technicians are sanding and buffing fresh paint. Of course we know the detailing industry as well as the enthusiast segment of the car hobby will also use these products so we just want to set the record straight as to what these two products are intended to do and who they are primarily target towards.

Am I alright in assuming then that while 205 was formulated to follow 105; I can still use it as a stand alone product? Since the cars I own are in no need for the correction offered by M105.

Should I pick up some M83 and M205? Or would the 205 be better or roughly the same?

I know ultimatly it is trial and see which is best for you but if they are similar products I would rather get a different product like M21 or M06 in addition to one of them, instead of buying both to start.

Thanks in advance.
    You absolutely can use M205 as a stand alone product if the circumstance warrants it. I polished my entire car with a single step of M205 to a swirl free finish! Most cars will require a little more cut, though.

M83 would be more aggressive than M205, but does require the knowledge of the working time and breaking down the diminishing abrasives.

You could also get some ScratchX 2.0 if you want something to get the deeper defects, and then follow that with M205.

Comment

Yes.

The idea behind what I wrote was that, correctly used, M105 will finish out to a low and even no swirl finish, that means it isn't going to take a very aggressive product to take these results to a higher level, in fact it's going to take a more less aggressive product which is what M205 is formulated to be.

The kind of defects left in the paint after compounding with M105 and either a foam or wool cutting pad are a more or less uniform depth pattern of defects, the key point here is they are controlled.

A daily driver that see a lot of wear and tear, who knows how all the assorted scratches and swirls were instilled has random defects throughout the finish and the depth of these defects will vary greatly, in other words not control.

So while a very effective product that can be used as a standalone cleaner/polish on any kind of paint system, it does have limits as to what it can remove effectively.

Get M205 and M105, or get Ultimate Compound and SwirlX, all these products were phenomenal at removing defects and polishing out to a clear, high gloss finish.

Here's the order of aggressiveness

Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!

Since we introduced these 3 new swirl and scratch removers in our Consumer Line and our new M205 Ultra Finishing Polish in our Professional line, many people have asked how aggressive these new products are as compared to some of our existing products that our forum members are already familiar with to help them understand the cleaning and/or abrading ability of these new products I've listed them in order of most aggressive to least aggressive reading from left to right.

(Apologies ahead of time if you have to horizontal scroll)

Most aggressive to least aggressive -->

That would be from most to least aggressive,
      • M105 Ultra Cut Compound
      • Ultimate Compound
      • ScratchX 2.0
      • SwirlX
      • M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
      • M205 Ultra Finishing Polish - M80 Speed Glaze (Different types of abrasives but close in cut ability)
      • ScratchX (Current Version being discontinued)

I know ultimately it is trial and see which is best for you but if they are similar products I would rather get a different product like M21 or M06 in addition to one of them, instead of buying both to start.
      M83, M80, M82, M09 are all cleaner/polishes that use diminishing abrasive technology.

M205 and SwirlX are cleaner/polishes that use Super Micro Abrasive Technology.

See this thread,

What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive technology and Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive technology?

While they are all products in the same category of products, "Cleaner/Polishes", they are very different products in how they work and finish out.

If you're getting into detailing it's a good idea to have at least a couple of scratch and swirl removers so you can test between the two products and then choose the one that's working the best for what you want to accomplish.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mark and Mike,

Thank you very much for the responses. I really appreciate the information and the time.

Thanks...

Comment

I used 205 stand alone on a cobalt Easter Sunday. Did a really good job of cleaning it up, granted there was only minor swirls. A couple of heavily scratched areas i hit with 105 by hand before hand.
          2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
          2005 Honda CRF250R
          2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');