• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is glue-pull dent repair safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is glue-pull dent repair safe?

I had a dentless repair guy take a look at our cars a couple of days ago. On our Taurus we have a dent just above the door handle. He said that because of its location, he could not use his usual methods but would have to use what he called a "glue-pull." He thought he could improve the dent but would not promise "perfection."

Question: is this method safe for the paint surface?

TIA.

Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: Is glue-pull dent repair safe?

I never used one, but my fear is pulling paint off if it's damaged from the dent. Other than that, I read it works and doesn't work.....

I thought of using one on the same exact car (Taurus) but we traded it in for our Yukon.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

There is a small chance (2%~ depending on skill level) that it will pull paint. My ding guy did a few cars and used that 3 times without incident.

Comment

I've seen it and even bought a cheap kit that you do this, the suction never was strong enough to pull the dent and the "glue" was removed with any problems from the paint.

But maybe he has some professional kind, so I don't know

Comment

Whether the glue dent repair is safe for your car depends on a number of factors.

1. Has that area been repainted? If so, the glue could pull the paint.
          2. Depending on the age and wear of the cars paint, it could pull.
          3. Is there already paint missing? If so, the glue will pull paint off.

I use my glue kit every day. Probably makes up 25 % of my income a week.

Hope it all works out.

Comment

Originally posted by d.langenfeld View Post
            Whether the glue dent repair is safe for your car depends on a number of factors.

1. Has that area been repainted? If so, the glue could pull the paint.
            2. Depending on the age and wear of the cars paint, it could pull.
            3. Is there already paint missing? If so, the glue will pull paint off.

Hope it all works out.
            Thanks for the input!

Comment

So you like it?
              Sound good if you use it all the time.

Comment

(I am a paintless dent repair tech of almost 15 years). Using it was a challenge at first now it is getting closer to second nature. I love it. It allows me to repair many dents I would either have to drill to get access, or just not repair.

Any questions you all have about this subject I will answer to the best of my ability.

Comment

what shuold one ask when doing rent repair?

I am questioning this because I have 3 dents in my car and I got quotes that range from 50/dent to 100/dent for repairing the same 3 dents.

Are there different techniques that would justify the higher price?

Or does everyone (dent rapairs) use the same stuff?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chop View Post
                    what shuold one ask when doing rent repair?

I am questioning this because I have 3 dents in my car and I got quotes that range from 50/dent to 100/dent for repairing the same 3 dents.

Are there different techniques that would justify the higher price?

Or does everyone (dent rapairs) use the same stuff?

Thanks
                    it depends on the location of the dent, severity/size of the dent. Not all dents are fixed the same way either.
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                      it depends on the location of the dent, severity/size of the dent. Not all dents are fixed the same way either.
                      Thanks for the reply. Maybe I did not explain right. My point is that if I have the same 3 dents in the car and shop around I shuold be getting similar prices but I am seeing quotes to fix all three dents ranging from 150 dollars to 300 dollars.

Comment

Every PDR tech you find has a different level of talent/experience. A newer tech with less experience who isn't as competent is willing to drop the price to get the work. An established tech who does great work probably isn't going to give any breaks, since he can get his higher prices anywhere.

Depends on what you want for quality.

If you want a fiscal break generally you will pay for it with the quality you receive.

The PDR market is beginning to find some stability with pricing, as insurance companies are getting involved and "setting" guidelines.

--It costs about $75.00 to repair 1 ding in your door no bigger than a quarter. If damage is on a separate panel, you will charged for another panel, usually being charged less than the 1st panel. If the remaining damage is on the same panel, you should you shouldn't be charged much more than the origianl $75 because the tech is already "in" that panel and it isn't usually difficult to repair an additional ding.--

CHOP- there are some different techniques out there, but none justify the huge disparities in pricing. Usually the differences in pricing is due to talent and workload.
                        Last edited by d.langenfeld; Apr 12, 2009, 06:40 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer second question.....

Comment

Every PDR tech you find has a different level of talent/experience. A newer tech with less experience who isn't as competent is willing to drop the price to get the work. An established tech who does great work probably isn't going to give any breaks, since he can get his higher prices anywhere.

Depends on what you want for quality.

If you want a fiscal break generally you will pay for it with the quality you receive.

The PDR market is beginning to find some stability with pricing, as insurance companies are getting involved and "setting" guidelines.

--It costs about $75.00 to repair 1 ding in your door no bigger than a quarter. If damage is on a separate panel, you will charged for another panel, usually being charged less than the 1st panel. If the remaining damage is on the same panel, you should you shouldn't be charged much more than the origianl $75 because the tech is already "in" that panel and it isn't usually difficult to repair an additional ding.--

CHOP- there are some different techniques out there, but none justify the huge disparities in pricing. Usually the differences in pricing is due to talent and workload.
                          Thanks. Great answer. That is exaclty the info I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');