• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please...

My wife and I just bought a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T BLACK

I have never really detailed or maintained my cars that well paint wise.
    But this being our first car together we really want to take care of its paint.
    Ive read multiple forums and read multiple posts here.
    I am just confused as to whats best to do to keep the paint brand new.
    Her dad has been in the paint industry and hes recommending that we use NXT paste wax in 5 layers once a week ... washing first each time of course.
    So 5x once a week first 5 weeks of owning car...that way its a good way to create a established / paint treatment / protection from the start.

I have been reading and not sure how to treat black on a brand new car, since I dont know if there should be any special beginning method on a new car vs just doing it over time.

I guess, I wanna know are that many coats necessary or needed?
    Also, is it necessary to polish / prep paint before the waxing on a new car? or can I just go from washing to drying to waxing.

Also, question...this NXT have any carnuaba in it or is it all synthetic?
    Also, whats the durability / longetivity differences between the paste wax vs the spray wax...any??
    Thanks so much for your help guys.

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

you have a lot of questions, read some of these threads

Suggested products for taking care of a new car!

The 5 Step Paint Care Cycle

How Long Will A Coat of Wax Last?

Lifespan of NXT Wax

NXT Tech Wax Cure Time

Meg's Waxes - carnauba % content per volume
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Re: Protecting brand new BLACK car paint?? suggestions on products and methods please

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post

I have been reading and not sure how to treat black on a brand new car, since I dont know if there should be any special beginning method on a new car vs just doing it over time.

I guess, I wanna know are that many coats necessary or needed?
      Also, is it necessary to polish / prep paint before the waxing on a new car?
      5 coats of wax once a week?!?!?!?! That's pretty insane and completely unnecesary. Check out this thread about layering coats of wax posted by Mike P., the Meguiars expert around here.

What's the deal with "Layering?"

Remember, we're not dealing with old fashioned, pure carnauba waxes anymore; modern day synthetic waxes like NXT Tech Wax have much higher durability and will maintain gloss and protection for much longer than conventional car waxes. Thanks to the invention of products like Ultimate Quik Wax and Ultimate Quik Detailer, your initial coat of wax will uphold its appearance for even longer, even with weekly washing. My dark blue truck was purchased brand new over a year ago. Since my truck is garaged at night, I only have to wax every 2-3 months with regular maintenence with UQW & UQD, and the appearance of my truck hasn't faded since the day I got my truck; still looks brand spankin new. Waxing once a week is a waste of product and time unless you absolutely love waxing.

Now you asked if you have to do anything special caring for a new paint job compared to an older paint job. Remember, modern day clear coat paints come fully cured from the factory, so caring for a "new factory paint job" vs a five year old clear coat is exactly the same. It's not like the "new" paint job needs more care than the five year old paint job.

Anyways, what you have to understand is that properly caring for a black car goes waaaaaaaaaay beyond just regular polishing and waxing. Every step of your maintenence process has to be done perfectly to prevent scratching and protect your coat of wax. Research on this site to learn more about how to perfectly wash, dry, and maintain the appearance of your car.

You asked about prep work before waxing. Read the link about the The 5 Step Paint Care Cycle. It'll teach you a lot about how to care for your black finish. Remember, black takes a lot of care to keep it looking good and swirl free. Good luck, and congrats on the new car!!!!
      Last edited by Silverado12; Mar 25, 2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

So, does that mean I must do more than just wash and wax the car?
        I have to clean and prep paint before waxing?
        On a new car???

Comment

On a brand new car with no defects you need to fix, this is what I would do:

1. Wash - 2 buckets, good quality soap like Gold Class, good quality towels/sponges
          2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay Kit, maybe buy and extra Quick Detailer bottle
          3. ColorX
          4. Wax - Nxt 2.0

After future washes, you can use the Ultimate Quick Detailer or Ultimate Quick Wax.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

ok if I use the above process, how long can I go before having to repeat the entire process?

Also, I understand the use of clay, although the paint is brand new wont there be nearly nothing on it after the wash? why is the clay necessary then?
            Regarding the colorx, I read the description of the product and it seemingly is used for restoring contaminated / oxidized paint and bringing out the color in it....why is it needed on the new paint?
            Thanks a ton =)

Comment

Originally posted by GenTarkin View Post
              So, does that mean I must do more than just wash and wax the car?
              I have to clean and prep paint before waxing?
              On a new car???
              "New" cars are often 6 to sometimes even pushing 12 months old before you buy them! Furthermore, they are transported via rail, or ship and often take on lots of metallic debris, fallout, and other chemicals or particles that settle on the paint.

Cars also spend significant time in lots either at the factories, or at the dealerships before being purchased. The sun can "bake" the contamination into the paint and simply washing it will not remove these contaminants.

The clay bar system is a very safe, and easy to use system to remove the contamination that is firmly embedded onto the surface of the paint, or glass.

Then a good cleaner wax like ColorX will help to further clean and polish into the paint, which can then be followed by a further dedicated sealant like NXT 2.0 for the ultimate in protection.

Does this help? (See what Murr said, he nailed it with his advice).

Comment

awesome thanks for the explenation. Then how will I know when the entire process has to be performed again rather than using the quick wax.

Comment

You really have to do the process first. Then, you will see and feel what your smooth, clean car really is like. And next time you wash it, you will see and feel what it is like, as well as how easy it is to apply the spray products.

Then, (and this all depends on your environment, garaging, etc), from several weeks to a few months, you will be able to notice a decline. Water does not roll off as easy, the spray products dont work as easy. Maybe it is even obvious that the paint is getting rough.

Then you start planning a time to redo it.

Assuming no swirls/scratches, etc, you would just repeat the above process.

Comment

Also, ColorX is not a strong compound, like the old rubbing compounds. It is a medium strong cleaner/wax, which is not the same thing. Being a little stronger, it will be good for a daily driver as well, with all the daily dirt, etc.

Just work it in a little as you apply it, then let dry like a wax, and buff off. Dont apply it real thick, just enough to work in a little.

Comment

Wait, so the colorX I have to let it dry then take it all off??? then apply the nxt wax?

Comment

Yes, you want to let a wax dry before removing.

ColorX is a cleaner/wax, so you want to let it dry.

Then remove, and use the Nxt.

Comment

Dang this sounds like a 8hr day job to get all this done. Is there a quick way to protecting my paint or do I have to go through this entire process?

Comment

Well, your dad said to do 5 coats of wax... we are saying to do 2.

Its not that long, but always longer the first time you are doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                              Well, your dad said to do 5 coats of wax... we are saying to do 2.

Its not that long, but always longer the first time you are doing it.
                              Well he said to do 1 wash and 1 wax a week for 5 weeks.

Sounds like I have to do all your mentioning in 1 day lol.
                              Would it be ok to skip the colorx part and go from clay / quick detail bottle, buff that off and then do nxt 2.0 wax?

If I do choose to do the colorx, what would I remove it with after its dry? before applying the nxt 2.0 wax.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');