• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to detailing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to detailing.

Hello there, I have a brand new camaro 2LS in black that I'm trying to keep in best condition it possibly can be. I have bought almost all of meguiars products, except for a choice few and except for the DA polisher which I would love to have but don't have the money for.

Now I guess the questions I have is how often to use the products I have. I wash the car about once a week, I wax once a month and I quick detail it between washes.

When it comes time which I think is soon, I plan to have a day dedicated to doing my car.

1. Wash and dry
    2. Claybar
    3. Rewash
    4. Ultimate compound (do I need to do this and if so how often?) I also have scratch x and I need info on the difference between these two products.
    5. Polish with ultimate polish
    6. Wax it

That's my plan so far. How often should I use UC and ultimate polish? And does this sound like a good plan for the car?

Re: New to detailing.

Welcome!

I wash the car about once a week, I wax once a month and I quick detail it between washes
    That's a good routine.

1. Wash and dry
    2. Claybar
    3. Rewash
    4. Ultimate compound (do I need to do this and if so how often?) I also have scratch x and I need info on the difference between these two products.
    5. Polish with ultimate polish
    6. Wax it
    You've got the right idea. No need for step 3 though.

You would use UC initially, and then as needed, which shouldn't be very often if you practice good washing / drying techniques. Maybe once every 12 months or more?

UC and ScratchX are both paint cleaners / compounds. UC is more agressive than ScratchX though. A better polish to follow after UC might be UP (Ultimate Polish), as it has more polishing oils and produces a deeper shine IME.

Note that depending on the severity of your defects, and the hardness of your paint, you may not need UC at all. ScratchX may be strong enough, then depending on how the ScratchX finishes out, you may or may not want to apply UP, then wax.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thank you so much. Could UC damage the car if it turns out that it wasn't needed?

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
        Welcome!

That's a good routine.

You've got the right idea. No need for step 3 though.

You would use UC initially, and then as needed, which shouldn't be very often if you practice good washing / drying techniques. Maybe once every 12 months or more?

UC and ScratchX are both paint cleaners / compounds. UC is more agressive than ScratchX though. A better polish to follow after UC might be UP (Ultimate Polish), as it has more polishing oils and produces a deeper shine IME.

Note that depending on the severity of your defects, and the hardness of your paint, you may not need UC at all. ScratchX may be strong enough, then depending on how the ScratchX finishes out, you may or may not want to apply UP, then wax.
        Some very good info right here. I agree with it. Ultimate compound, Ultimate polish are great to work with.

What wax are you planning to use? The reason I ask is because you have either a carnauba or a sealant. A sealant is synthetic and will last longer than a carnauba. A synthetic can last somewhere between 4-6 months depending on the surrounding environment.

Originally posted by Camarogirl10 View Post
        Thank you so much. Could UC damage the car if it turns out that it wasn't needed?
        All meguiars products are safe to use if the user uses them as intended. Before you get started it is a good idea to do a test spot with the least aggressive product. In this case I would start with UP. If that gives you enough correction then proceed to waxing. If you need more correction then you can go with UC, followed by UP and finally wax. If the car has moderate to sever swirls then UC would be the way to go. But I would try a test spot to see which products work for you.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');