• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove exhaust stains on bumper paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove exhaust stains on bumper paint?

I drive an 09 Mazdaspeed3 and the paint is a nice white pearl. but as with some performance cars and white paint, the bumper near the exhaust gets stained from the amount of exhaust emissions. It's a bad picture cause it's been raining today but you get the general idea. Any suggestions? I've tried to use some elbow grease when washing with microfiber and mguires wax/wash compound. I have scratch x, and some wax, but havent tried them yet.

Re: How do you remove exhaust stains on bumper paint?

I haven't experienced this yet so I don't know if my recommendation is correct. But if I encountered a problem like this, I will hit it with a good paint cleaner such as Ultimate Compound. Scratch X might work but i might not be aggressive enough. Try it and let us know.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Yeah, ScratchX is the easiest place to start if you have it. At least for the white paint, not the black trim.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've used the following to minimize or remove exhaust stains on painted surfaces -

1. Scratch-X
        2. Claying
        3. Cleaner Wax (I like Color X)
        4. Body Solvent
        4. 3M adhesive remover

From my experience, you may need to experiment with 2-3 items to completely remove the exhaust stain.

BTW - try cleaning ASAP to minimize permanent staining
        Andy W.
        Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
        Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

The emissions you refer to are basically soot/particulates, which is unburnt fuel.
          The unburnt fuel molecules attract moisture etc. in the exhaust cycle and grow in size.
          Due to the airflow around the rear of your car, the particulates impinge themselves on the paint surface.
          Try switching up to a higher octane fuel or a clean fuel (as promoted by Shell) to get a faster ignition rate and flame travel through the fuel (ignition and power stroke of the cycle). This should contribute to a cleaner gas exiting the exhaust tailpipe.

Also, check there is enough clearance between the exhaust and the inside of the rear bumper. Heat may be a staining factor of the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
            I haven't experienced this yet so I don't know if my recommendation is correct. But if I encountered a problem like this, I will hit it with a good paint cleaner such as Ultimate Compound. Scratch X might work but i might not be aggressive enough. Try it and let us know.
            Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Yeah, ScratchX is the easiest place to start if you have it. At least for the white paint, not the black trim.
            Originally posted by bmrfan View Post
            I've used the following to minimize or remove exhaust stains on painted surfaces -

1. Scratch-X
            2. Claying
            3. Cleaner Wax (I like Color X)
            4. Body Solvent
            4. 3M adhesive remover

From my experience, you may need to experiment with 2-3 items to completely remove the exhaust stain.

BTW - try cleaning ASAP to minimize permanent staining
            Originally posted by Detroit CC View Post
            The emissions you refer to are basically soot/particulates, which is unburnt fuel.
            The unburnt fuel molecules attract moisture etc. in the exhaust cycle and grow in size.
            Due to the airflow around the rear of your car, the particulates impinge themselves on the paint surface.
            Try switching up to a higher octane fuel or a clean fuel (as promoted by Shell) to get a faster ignition rate and flame travel through the fuel (ignition and power stroke of the cycle). This should contribute to a cleaner gas exiting the exhaust tailpipe.

Also, check there is enough clearance between the exhaust and the inside of the rear bumper. Heat may be a staining factor of the paint.
            Firstly just wanted to thank you all for being so helpful and contributing.

It looks like scratch X did the job flying colors. If you're noticing a line that is running horizonatally across the bottom 3rd of the bumper thats only a reflection, the bumper is clean! Reccomendations for added protection in that area? I waxed it last week with one of meguires lighter waxes from the consumer line. If I had a good orbital i'd try and use some of the professional stuff but i dont >_<

Comment

Any of the waxes can be applied by hand. Ult. Wax is considered Meguiars best protecting at the moment.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Glad to hear Scratch-X worked to remove the exhaust staining!

Definitely want to apply a coating of wax (Ultimate or NXT are both long lasting) - the Scratch-X would have removed any wax from the "stained" area.
                Andy W.
                Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');