• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peeling clearcoat - tips on how to make look less bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeling clearcoat - tips on how to make look less bad?

Hi everyone,
    About two months ago I bought a 1994 Toyota MR2 as a project car to both work on and take to the track to learn how to drive. The clearcoat is peeling off badly, looks just like any of those in the clearcoat failure hall of fame post. I really don't really care how the car looks as long as it runs since it's purpose is for the track. That being said I wouldn't mind spending some extra time on the weekends trying to make it look LESS BAD.

I know from other posts the only way to FIX the peeling clearcoat is a new paint job, but I'd like to see if there's a low-cost way (with me doing the work) of making it look less bad. I'd like to remove the white areas where the clearcoat is in the process of peeling off, so there would just be base coat and unpeeled clearcoat, and then I'd put on some new clearcoat to protect it all.

Today I bought some of the Ultimate Compound and tried that - I know it's designed for paint where the clearcoat is still on, and it helped somewhat with both the base coat parts and the clearcoat parts still on, but it didn't remove any of the white transition area when the CC is flaking. Tried some leftover Deep Crystal paint cleaner, that didn't do it either.

Any tips on just how to make it look less bad, or at least remove the white area where it's flaking? I've heard 2000 grit wet sandpaper might work. Like I said this car's purpose is to be driven at the track so looks are not critical, but if I can make it look less like this than that's a bonus. The spots on the top half are just dirt, I've since washed it off.

Thanks all,
    Dubs

Re: Peeling clearcoat - tips on how to make look less bad?

I think the way would be your last option,by using fine grit and wetsanding.

Is your intention to put another coat of clear back on after?
    Last edited by Eddie6th; Jul 4, 2009, 04:53 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

I would wetsand the area to remove any flaking, buff out the sanding marks with M105/M205 and shoot some new clear over it to attempt to keep the problem from recurring. A partial repaint like that may or may not hold, but like you said, it's a track car and it's going to get banged up.
      If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Wool pad and rotary with 3M Super Duty Compound avail at auto body supply stores and finish with # 86 SOLO wool first than foam, But do not wax and keep it out of the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
          Wool pad and rotary with 3M Super Duty Compound avail at auto body supply stores and finish with # 86 SOLO wool first than foam, But do not wax and keep it out of the rain.
          No sanding beforehand? What happens if you can't keep it out of the rain? I'm curious because my project car has the same level of CC failure and I've been wanting to try the same thing, but I have no covered parking. Also, what speed would you dial in on the rotary?

Comment

Not being facetious at all here but based on all the answers (and the one I'd have given you), you will need to invest in products, machines, etc while instead taking $100 down to your local Maaco will net you a complete single stage enamel paint job of the car that will look 26573892645 times better than any "repair" you could do to that hood. Something to think about...

Comment

That's the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                No sanding beforehand? What happens if you can't keep it out of the rain? I'm curious because my project car has the same level of CC failure and I've been wanting to try the same thing, but I have no covered parking. Also, what speed would you dial in on the rotary?
                The paint will absorb the moisture and chalk back out again this is only a temporary fix, it will come back but a great piece to learn on.

as far as speed I compound around 1500 and keep the pad spurred out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                  Not being facetious at all here but based on all the answers (and the one I'd have given you), you will need to invest in products, machines, etc while instead taking $100 down to your local Maaco will net you a complete single stage enamel paint job of the car that will look 26573892645 times better than any "repair" you could do to that hood. Something to think about...
                  For me, it's more of an experimentation thing, a chance to get some practice time behind the rotary just to see what I can do with my DeWalt. I know your comment was directed more to the OP, but I wouldn't mind getting some real hands on experience performing some wetsanding and removing the sanding marks with both a DA and rotary on my 93 Civic (currently in the death throes of clear coat failure). After all is said and done, I would sneak my Civic under the cover of darkness to Maaco or Earl Scheib to get a low priced paint job. And after that, possibly some more skill building with wet sanding and reducing any orange peel!

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                    For me, it's more of an experimentation thing, a chance to get some practice time behind the rotary just to see what I can do with my DeWalt. I know your comment was directed more to the OP...
                    Yup...answer was for the original poster I quoted. He stated his car was a "track-only" vehicle so we know it'll sustain plenty of abuse to the paint surface after any repairs (which will only be temporary anyway). No sense investing in hundreds of dollars of pads, products, and machines to make a quick fix which will look the same in two months or worse...really damage the paint and burn thru.

but I wouldn't mind getting some real hands on experience performing some wetsanding and removing the sanding marks with both a DA and rotary on my 93 Civic (currently in the death throes of clear coat failure). After all is said and done, I would sneak my Civic under the cover of darkness to Maaco or Earl Scheib to get a low priced paint job. And after that, possibly some more skill building with wet sanding and reducing any orange peel!
                    In your case...since you already have the tools, products and desire to tackle the job I'd go to a local junkyard and pick up a panel for $10 or whatever and practice there before I attempt new techniques...especially wetsanding...on something I have to be seen in everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post

I see you're using your 5540 in that pic.By the way,did you do the Meguiar's artwork.It's really well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                        I see you're using your 5540 in that pic.By the way,did you do the Meguiar's artwork.It's really well done!
                        Not a Milwaukee but a Flex

I only did a little paint massage to the hood the rest of the rig is in great shape

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');